Home Technical Talk

Topogun issues/alternatives?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ablaine polycounter lvl 14
Hey all,

Got a chance to test out Topogun for a short time today and while I LOVED the ability to see the mesh/net clearly without it being obstructed by the reference model (which is one of my biggest gripes with retopo in polyboost... I really don't like having to do the alt-x see through dance alternating between my high poly reference and low poly mesh in order to see the surface as it's being built)... I did however have a few issues with topogun.

First off, even when I have my frame focused on an individual vertex in topogun, I can only zoom in so far. If I'm working with some more complex surfaces it becomes difficult to build it from so far away (whereas in max 2009/polyboost I can zoom right in as close as I need to the surface).

I also think that the border tool in polyboost is much quicker for creating surfaces than the point point point connect in topogun, even with the "make faces(?)" option enabled.

But like I said before I do love the ability to see the mesh I'm building cleanly displayed on top of the the reference mesh in topogun.

Is there an alternative to these tools that anyone can recommend?

How do most people use topogun? Do you create loose, large polys over the reference and then subdivide? I didn't get a chance to try that method. Is it viable?

Thanks!

Replies