Home Technical Talk

weird virus

sorry, its not a game related question, but i don't have an account on any other remotely tech forums and was wondering if someone here might be able to help me.

Since friday when i got back to my house from a friends i had stayed over at for 3 or 4 nights my computer has seemed to be compromised. But there is only one real problem, when i try to log into any of my google connected accounts (gmail, youtube, digg) the browser says its an untrusted connection and i should not continue, on one occasion when i did continue anyway, it just took me to a blank page with an error.

I've done a full system virus scan with avast, i've done a full malware scan with malwarebytes both fully updated, and that doesnt seem to help, i also did a restore back to the middle of november.

at the moment i'm afraid to login, or even goto important websites like my bank where i would be entering information useful to identity theft,

any ideas on what i can do besides reformat?

Replies

• TakuanDaikon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TakuanDaikon polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not convinced what you are experiencing is the result of a virus. I'm not saying it's not, I'm just saying that what you describe could also easily be the result of something else, especially if Avast is not showing anything.

Can you get to your Google accounts from another computer? Either from another location or from another computer in the same house/network?

Have you changed any settings in your Gmail account recently? Like "Always use https"? If so, does changing it back resolve the issue?

Which browser are you using? Does using another browser exhibit different behavior for the same site?

Has your public IP address changed recently?

A screenshot of the exact error message might be helpful (photoshop out personal info first).

• Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    go through this if it still doesn't work ask them for help
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    You didn't set your system date and time back a few years did you?
  • Thewiruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thewiruz polycounter lvl 16
    What browser?
    Try another one

Firewall active?

Intenet security shit like norton Intenet security?Then i understand why you have problems!But you said u use Avast so i dubt that.

Have you tried to trace the place via cmd? Tracert www.akskskkskskks.com etc

Have you checked your internet browser settings?or restore it to defult?

thats all i can think of
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    kodde wrote: »

This was my thought. Check the bios date and windows date. I had your problem with a laptop I recently booted up and the date was set to 2004.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah if the clock battery is dying it could be because of that.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    kodde wrote: »

This actually just happened to my parents computer a few days ago. They were browsing from the year 2012 and therefore all of the website certificates were out of date.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah none of these things worked for me oddly enough, malware scanners, virus scanners, checked the time, did system restores used a different browser, uninstalled and reinstalled browsers. It was time for a reformat anways. oh, and other computers within my network had no problems accessing the same sites.