Home Technical Talk

looking for a good bare bones brush set

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
Was hoping someone knew of a good brush set for photoshop. Not looking for a lot of fluff, just a few nice brushes to compliment the basic photoshop round brush. Hate to admit it but i haven't used much other than the standard round and charcoal brush in photoshop for the past few years and thought maybe i should try something new.

Also anyone have some tips for quickly switching between key brushes, like a way to hotkey them?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice! I'm about to start concepting out my next 3d scene and want to set out on the right foot and maybe try some new 2d stuff rather than just doing the same old same old.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    have you tried the polycount search, there have been quite a few of these threads or at least PS brush collection specific.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just gave it ago, found a few specialized brush sets, but nothing really aimed for basic all around painting with a few key brushes.

The only thread I found regarding organizing brushes or hotkeys seemed to second the thought that it's pretty much fubar and hard to switch between brushes and organize them.

I guess I'll just stick with my usual method and not hold my breath for any kind of eye opening techniques or hotkeys since that doesn't appear possible in photoshop.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Flow slider.
    Slide it left.
  • ZacD
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    thank you. :)

one good trick with photoshop brushes for sketching etc.:

texture, set to texture each tip, reducle flow slider, then set the depth jitter to pressure and flip reverse the depth/min depth sliders so that you get maximum texture with minimum pressure. this can make brushes feel nice and natural, grainier the lighter you stroke, but nice and jiucy when you press hard.

As for hotkey, you can make an action of selecting a tool preset (they are a bit like a brush+) and any action can be bound to f-keys, so that would work. maybe other keys can be bound too in the new photoshops. :) have fun!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well hot damn, CW, the action hotkeys worked perfectly.

Can't remember how many times i had to reset my brush to get all the pressure sensitivity, tilt, size etc. The hotkey for actions worked perfectly, thanks a ton, this helps tremendously!

I'm sure i'll come up with other brush presets to add, but for now just the one for main main brush is good times.