Home General Discussion

Where is the Iphone/mobile games industry heading?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
breakneck polycounter lvl 13
Just curious about others views on the longevity and viability of the Iphone/mobel games industry.
What are peoples opinions about mobile games. - from a dev. stand point

I'm interested in others opinions as I am blind to this topic and would like some insight.

Replies

• acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    The iPhone was a modern day goldrush; endless promises of easy riches that caused everyone and their grandma to flock to development causing a total oversaturation of the market. As a result, top selling iPhone games these days are mostly all from a couple of large publishers and usually ports or thematic ripoffs of popular games ("Hey, that looks like call of duty!"). If you're cool with doing that then it's a perfectly viable business and there's no reason why it would suddenly go away. The console market is still around, after all.

The end game for all computers that aren't PC's is to be to become PC's. The term "PC" is not currently marketable by itself... but if you make a mobile/console with all the features of a PC and call it a mobile/console then people will love it. Phones now browse the web, and Google is trying to put everything on the web which means phones will soon be able to do most things PC's can.

In addition, every major electronics manufacturer has been talking about integration and unification across devices for years, and it won't be too much longer now before they actually do it. Once you have a consistent interface across all your electronics you're going to start wanting them to all just have the same feature set. Once you've got the same feature set, you're right back at square one: the PC market.

So I guess the short answer is: everything is viable because it's all just heading towards one unified mass anyways. Just don't expect to be able to compete without a multi-million dollar corporation at your back.