Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character for portfolio

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Kharn polycounter lvl 8
Hi everyone!

Im just starting the base sculpt for a character for my portfolio, this should be the last piece in it. I found the concept art on the interwebs, its for the game APB thats comeing out next year. Any and all comments are very welcome indeed. :)
Concept:
acesarticleimage.jpg

Replies

• Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Ok so first off the proportions and base sculpt, what say you?
    base1.jpgface1s.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The head looks way too manly.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shoulders are a bit broad a the moment, also the eyes are too close together and to small the head should be 5 eye widths wide. freakin love the concept choice thats a realy fun character good luck!

-Woog
  • mLink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    This should make a pretty good portfolio piece.

The arms are too muscular/defined
    Navel and crotch should be lifted quite a bit, I think the navel is supposed to line up with the elbows if the arms are down.
    Make the waist much thinner, the girl in the concept is a twig
    Take a look at the area above the breasts, the girl in the concept doesn't really have pecs, right now your sculpt is looking like a gymnast body
    Thighs could be thinner.

Keep it up, good progress so far
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Wow quick feedback, thats awsome ^^

ZacD: Any reason in perticular you think that ? I tryed to stick to the general principles of male/female face diffrences.

woogity: Thx, ok Ive made the eyes slightly bigger and moved them apart a bit, trying to keep the bridge of the nose quite thin as to stop her looking to masculine.

mLink: Thanks for your comment :)
    I can see what you mean in general shes pretty defined compared to the skinny concept thats the problem sculpting from anatomy; every sculpture looks riped.
    Made the waist, shoulders and thights thinner(soon shell be non existent hehe), hope it worked :p

base1c.jpg
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Her body is too long, and her head is too small and manly :)

Your on the right track though.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    She has a man's nose at the moment. Have a good look at your reference it make it smaller and rounder. That will help.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    iw3pxklc.gif

Oops my bad on double posting. I'm not an expert or anything, but hopefully that will get you started. Somone else might chime in and do a much better job. Jaw, Nose, Neck, & Sholders all need to be revised, and them make the whole thing a little bigger.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for all the comments again :)

iWeReZ: yeah I can definitely see the head being too big, Ill sort that out tomorrow seeing as it means moving eyes and teeth too.

jocose: Awsome mate :thumbup: Thanks for that GIF, I wasnt looking at the side view enought, that chin was really wrong lol. Ill pull the neck in tomorrow , Thanks again.

face1y.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Some bald lady ref for you
    natalie-portman.jpg

vforvendetta2_198.jpg
    [damn shes hot]

anyways, keep it up holmes! good start so far.

edit- from your last post i think the eyes are the weakest point here, check out Natalie Portmans, then look at yours. hit that up and it will help a lot.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Cody: Man how am I suposed to compete with that ^^. But acctually shes really good refrence so thanks mate. I agree the eyes are going to need more work, along with the nose and the bottom lip.
    Thanks for your comment !

Edit- I changed the Lip-nose distance.
    face1vz.jpg
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    When you're sculpting, are you sculpting in orthographic or perspective with Zbrush? Cuz looking at that last post from the front her ears appear to be sitting way to far off to either side of her head. If you're not already sculpting in perspective mode it may be easier to be sure you're getting your forms right rather than in orthographic. Maybe it's cuz I just woke up and I still may be a bit too tired to be commenting on anything lol, but its an idea.

The update is really coming along nicely though. She is already showing more female characeristics in her face and those lips are looking better too. Any updates on her body anatomy?
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use photo ref to model your anatomy from it will make your life so much easier. The anatomy on both the head and body are still a bit off.

On the Head: You shouldn't be able to see where the ears connect to the skull in a front view just look at photos the Natalie Portman one is good. Where the ears connect should be occluded by the jaw and cheek bones so push that part of the head in and then fix the shape on the dome of the skull look how Natalie’s head cures out just above the ear and compare that to your model. You may not be trying to make it look like Natalie but I haven't seen anyone who's head looks like the model you made. You can look at photos of anyone you'll see the same skull shapes I’m talking about. The brow line also feels odd curving up like it does.

On the Body: The trapezius muscles look bizarre and so do the collar bones I don't know if they'd be angled like that for how she has her arms I think they'd still be a bit straighter. The pelvis also doesn't seem quite right I think you'd be able to see the corners of it and it seems like it should be a bit wider. The oblique’s seem a bit too muscular and bulge out a bit too much the concept looks like she wouldn’t be so toned.

Bust out an anatomy book and go to town man you'll get that sweet spot soon enough just don't quit on the proportions until there right otherwise you'll end up with a manly looking lady. Best of luck its quite the challenge.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey their.

jacob07777: Yeah I sculpt in orthographic, the perspective mode (in my opinion) isnt all that great for acctual sculpting up close. Thanks for your comment

Wilex: Yeah I can see the ears are a problem hehe, their like miles out. Probably a side effet of constantly changing the face/head shape without zooming out to have a look at the general shape, my bad :p.
    I tryed to take into account what you said, the neck and pelivs areas were bothering me, hopefully this is better.

base1nq.jpgface1d.jpg
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps needs some shoulders, the muscle connecting the neck is too pronounced?
  • missberetta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love that concept art! Shame the actual game looks nothing like it.

My feedback... Do you want to animate this girl later? It's always good to show an employer different poses and facial expressions. I think you really need to model the face in an expressionless state.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    The concept art is very idealized. The girl has a very petite frame, but is also tall and has perfect breasts. Your character model is too realistic and that's where you're getting tripped up. The appendages need to be impossibly skinny and her boobs need to be more perfectly spherical. The neck length may look wrong, but she has that huge collar in the concept. Anyway, I think you're moving in the right direction.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey their everyone,
    samgriffiths :Yeah I supose her shoulders could be a tad bigger but that dosnt bother me too much concidering what shes wearing. As for the Trapezius muscle, it does still connect too high, I agree. Thanks for your comment mate.

missberetta: I know what your saying about the game, its a bit disapointing visualy. I doubt Ill animate her but I will pose her, but Im not going to rig the face (I know I should but Iwont ,not on this model :p)

P442 :Hey their mate, mhh your right the concept dosnt really have realistic anatomy. I think Ill try and strech her so she apears to be tall and thin, but I would rather stay away form the overly stylised look (one might say it was a poor choice of concept in that case but well).

I think after a little bit more tweaking tomorrow, Ill start on the clothing. Ill update tomorrow.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    the bridge of the nose feel like it needs a softer transistion into the face, and the nostrils flare out to much for a woman.

I agree with missberetta about modeling this sans expression. animation is another matter, no need to rig the face. But it'll be much easier to judge the proportions of the face and make the necessary adjustments without the mechanics of a smile getting in the way. then you can pose her face and the transition will be easier.

as for starting on the clothing, don't rush it. Her body is the foundation for the entire model and if you take the time to really nail the proportions and such, then the rest will fall into place much easier. If you leave them in an unfinished/unrefined state, its going to throw everything else off.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey their!

whipSwitch: yeah I see that on the nose, Ill take care of it.
    About the expression, Ill concider the sans expression. But right now I want to nail the proportions, I can always change the head at anytime really.

As far as realistic vs stylised Ive had some time to think about it, and Im going to try and keep it pretty realistic but Ill exagerate her sillouette to fit the concept.
    Ok so still fiddling with the proportions, as a test I posed the model to see if I could fit the concept (pretty weird pose when you think about it.). And It renforces the point that she needs to be skinnier. So ill work on that now.
    (Edit- Btw please dont hesitate to draw all over it to show what you have in mind :) )

testpose.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're going to model in the expression (and I suggest you don't) you might want to change it from a "joker ha ha" to a "look at my barbell ahhh". Being a guy that animates faces 5 days a week its really hard to get the character out of a base pose that is that posed. But its a lot easier to push it from blank to this pose.

Its hard to judge a base character against reference that has so much style and gear. I think you should be blocking in those volumes also as you're blocking in her base structure. It will give you a lot more visual landmarks to hit.

I think the legs are too long.
    Look at the position of the heels and take into account she's wearing platform shoes.

I think the crotch is too low.
    There is a lot of gear hanging down and you might have stretched the pelvic area more than it needs to be.

It might help to draw a bare form over the top of the clothed/geared up reference just to knock in the key land marks. Right now you can draw all the ref lines you want and they'll more or less meet up on the ref because they're so ambiguous. But being off just a little here and there will cause all kinds of issues.

Personally I would not start off with a 100% naked model with toes and boobs, but block in the volumes of the gear. If you're going for the "what if this character changes cloths" then you should be worried about what if "this character changes facial expressions". Since the latter is probably VERY likely to happen.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey their Vig : First off thanks for your comment mate, Ok Ill get rid of the expression on the face and pose it afterwards.

Those ref lines were in no way trying to be pretentious, just haveing a look if thngs kinda lined up.

Yeah Im not going to have clothes layers with a body underneath, the only part I wanted to keep well seperate was the fur coat.

Im not going to model this character posed it was just to see if the proportions could actually take that pose.

Ill take a try at blocking in the colthes see how it works out. Thanks again mate :thumbup:
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Ok quick go at the Clothes, What do you think of the proportions now guys ?
    (Ill do the face tomorrow promise ^^)

What do you guys recon the trousers are ? leather ? I think Ive made them too baggy, kind of like soft sport trousers rather than leather.

Anyways comments and critics are welcome :)

clothetest.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be blunt. The proportions are weird. They kinda freak me out.

Even if they were exactly the same as the concept (which they're not) they would still be wrong. What works in 2d often doesn't work in 3d.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Erm ok. Freaking you out how come ? What do you think needs changing ?

Ive been looking at diffrent artists work on the internet and this Character by Samar Vijay, I know my work isnt anywere as good , but the proportions on that character are even more extrem. Yet it looks ok, no?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think you need to push your characters proportions even further to get it closer to the concept, smaller leaner torso and slightly bigger head. Right now its somewhere inbetween the concept and a real persons proportions and I think thats whats confusing. heres an example of what I mean.

propchange.jpg
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your gal here needs more hips or less wide shoulders.. it really feels weird when her shoulders are "twise" as wide as her hips.. she needs more female shapes and not just those big boobies on a body..
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys,
    Ged: Yes you re right Im getting torn from realistic to stylised and back. I think Ill just make the proportions stick to the concept. Thanks a lot for the pic :)

Stertman: Ive made her shoulders smaller and her hips a bit wider, hopefully that will make her a bit more feminine.Hehe just boobs on a body ^^
    (I still need to make her head bigger)
    23326648.jpgtestpose.jpg
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Ok so, I got some images of the APB editor to see what they make of female proportions. Ive also worked on my model a bit, made her frame smaller and legs skinnier. At this point Im hopping I can move on, I could spend years tweaking the proportions and never be satisfied.

So what do guy think the trousers are made of ? leather ? They have weird folds for leather but well.

proportions.jpgpropotion2.jpg
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    I'm pretty sure those pants are like loose linen or just normal polyester/cotton blend pants. The same fabric as your typical pair of slacks, I would guess.