Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Twisted Swamp - Tropical Environment WIP

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
Hey Polycounters,

I wanted to get some practice in on zbrush and in particular organisc and tropical foliage with some swamp stylization. The tree's were created via zSpheres and hard surfaces in modular rock sets. I also created custom water shaders and fog planes for the water elements as well as foliage sets. I'd like to get some eyes on this as i've been staring at this too long now. Everything is also rendered via UDK with Lightmass enabled on certain elements.

There are a few things i've yet to add and im still working on the lighting, some helpful crits (especially in lighting or foliage placements) would be appreciated.

I still need to implement various rocks to break up the shoreline and increase the color of the flowers within the grass (if you notice they're very dark purple right now).

Thanks ahead!

-Will

j77txk.jpg

r0axp4.jpg

10s69ee.jpg

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn dude. That looks nice.

The only crit I can think of at the moment is maybe add a little variation to the individual plants and vines. The vines seem uniform and straight up and down. That's a small crit though, overall it looks awesome.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Love those wooobly trees.
  • andybozo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andybozo polycounter lvl 7
    i really like your scene here... looks very cool. i love the depth to it. just an idea, you might add some extra color to your depth fog. its really a small thing and im not even sure it would help but might be worth playing with.

i think your color scheme could be improved. like if you added something that was redish purple. like a brightly colored flower or something like that... it might really catch you attention and draw your eye.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I like your scene too! There's something wrong wth the tint. Yellow smear in pic 3 shouldn't be there (i mean the volumetric lighting. should we almost white). Also, It would be cool if there was something other than rocks and plants to look at. Maybe a statue or something. Also, fix the fog in pics 1-2. It kinda looks like water.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sXe Seany wrote: »
    Damn dude. That looks nice.

The only crit I can think of at the moment is maybe add a little variation to the individual plants and vines. The vines seem uniform and straight up and down. That's a small crit though, overall it looks awesome.

Thanks for the crits. I really like the texture editor within UDK, allows me to make some quick adjustments to the texture values. I'll see to breaking up some variation within the foliage. Thanks again.

Love those wooobly trees.

andybozo wrote: »
    i really like your scene here... looks very cool. i love the depth to it. just an idea, you might add some extra color to your depth fog. its really a small thing and im not even sure it would help but might be worth playing with.

i think your color scheme could be improved. like if you added something that was redish purple. like a brightly colored flower or something like that... it might really catch you attention and draw your eye.

I agree with you on both the height fog and the flower idea. I've been having a tough time batteling the colors within the heightfog to accent the environment. I'll test it out some more. As for the flowers I do have a set to break it up, however I need to adjust the textures. It's coming out really desaturated atm. Thanks Andy.
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    I like your scene too! There's something wrong wth the tint. Yellow smear in pic 3 shouldn't be there (i mean the volumetric lighting. should we almost white). Also, It would be cool if there was something other than rocks and plants to look at. Maybe a statue or something. Also, fix the fog in pics 1-2. It kinda looks like water.

Thanks Rooster. I'll adjust the values to the god rays on the right hand portion of the scene. I was trying to bring some warm values, i'll lighten them up some more. I agree with the statue idea, only i'm going to add some dinosaur skeletons a'la Turok as much of it is inspired by turok concepts. I agree as well with the fog over the water its abit thick i'll increase its opacity and adjust its height some. Thanks again.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    is the water reflective? it somehow doesn't read all that well as water to me, especially with the fog above it. could just be more fog.

other than that it looks really neat so far and with a few more colorfull spots like brighter flowers it might even become awesome :D
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome scene man, this is what i imagine a high poly wow would look like. Only crit is the plam leaves are very uniform and cookie cutter, maybe bend some of the leves around to create some variation
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good man, although i have a few crits. :D

I think the water could so with some reflections and refractions, right now it dosen't read very well as water.

Id also get rid off the god rays as your environment isn't strong enough to suggest them. Make the environment a lot brighter and stick a sun in there if you still want them.

The grass looks a little faint, maybe make the grass strands thicker.
    Id also add in some different coloured foliage to break up the environment as everything is too green at the moment.

Last point would be there's no focal point in the image or at least it isn't being highlighted like it should. Maybe a stronger coloured plant to create some colour contrast in the scene.
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice, any wires perhaps ?

The colors right now seem very flat, and it reminds me of king kong the game :)
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    It looks good, the only thing to me is this doesn't look at all like a swamp. It does however look tropical. I know you said you were going for tropical with swamp elements, but it just doesn't really come through as that for me.

I think the main reasons being that a swamp is generally flatland that is flooded with a few feet of water, having high grass, some land above the water, lots of trees, etc.

Your scene has tons of rocks in it, not much grass, making it seem more like a tropical forest in the mountains or something.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Very nice! I think you can push the lighting a bit, lightmass can do wonders and I have no idea why you didn't enable it for all objects .
  • Bruno Afonseca
    This is great! But lacks a bit of depth and color. Stuff is looking pretty flat.
    Maybe you should throw some specular on those broad leaves and put some bright colored flowers around.
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks great. It puts my current UDK environment to shame.

The only suggestion i have is to change that fog plane along the ground to water, or place some water somewhere else. since its a swamp you know.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi wrote: »
    is the water reflective? it somehow doesn't read all that well as water to me, especially with the fog above it. could just be more fog.

other than that it looks really neat so far and with a few more colorfull spots like brighter flowers it might even become awesome :D

I think it's the balance between the ground fog and the waters reflectivity. I do have the sky reflective within the shader for the water, however I wanted to make sure the water wasn't too opaque. I'll be touching this up, thanks for your feedback :)

Dippndots wrote: »
    awesome scene man, this is what i imagine a high poly wow would look like. Only crit is the plam leaves are very uniform and cookie cutter, maybe bend some of the leves around to create some variation

I agree with you on the palm leaves, I'll exaggerate the bend some more to provide a more natural look. Thanks!
    Ark wrote: »
    Looking good man, although i have a few crits. :D

I think the water could so with some reflections and refractions, right now it dosen't read very well as water.

Id also get rid off the god rays as your environment isn't strong enough to suggest them. Make the environment a lot brighter and stick a sun in there if you still want them.

The grass looks a little faint, maybe make the grass strands thicker.
    Id also add in some different coloured foliage to break up the environment as everything is too green at the moment.

Last point would be there's no focal point in the image or at least it isn't being highlighted like it should. Maybe a stronger coloured plant to create some colour contrast in the scene.

The grass is in unlit, translucent right now and generated in foliage volumes, i'll increase distance draw and density and see if I can rectify this.

iWeReZ wrote: »
    Looking nice, any wires perhaps ?

The colors right now seem very flat, and it reminds me of king kong the game :)

Thanks, I generally aim for desaturation, more of the style that I like to direct my art towards but the lighting is very flat. I do need to push the darks and lights of the scene for sure.
    vcortis wrote: »
    It looks good, the only thing to me is this doesn't look at all like a swamp. It does however look tropical. I know you said you were going for tropical with swamp elements, but it just doesn't really come through as that for me.

I think the main reasons being that a swamp is generally flatland that is flooded with a few feet of water, having high grass, some land above the water, lots of trees, etc.

Your scene has tons of rocks in it, not much grass, making it seem more like a tropical forest in the mountains or something.

I wanted to combine some swamp elements with a very tropical feel, to make it look prehistoric, however the scene does appear more tropical than swamp-like. I'll probably create a more suitable title once I finish :)
    Minotaur0 wrote: »
    Very nice! I think you can push the lighting a bit, lightmass can do wonders and I have no idea why you didn't enable it for all objects .

I know, the build times were killing me however. I think on my final build i'll just enable them all.
    ngs616 wrote: »
    It looks great. It puts my current UDK environment to shame.

The only suggestion i have is to change that fog plane along the ground to water, or place some water somewhere else. since its a swamp you know.

I think my title is contradicting itself. Thanks :)
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    hey man
    this looks really nice, heres a few things that immediately come to mind, I think they may have been stated-
    Lighting needs work as currently, it's very flat to read
    ground mist is a nice touch, maybe have it flow around plants more?
    the water needs some loving - reflections, distortion, and where it meets the ground. With mesh vert painting in UDK there's no reason to not go bananas a little and have it muddier where the water laps.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Alex, i'm on top of it :)
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Will, this is coming along nicely so far. I think most everyone has covered any crits so far that I could suggest, but I will ask. Is this for a class in school at all or just kind of a for fun thing on the side that you're doing right now. Either way looks good man, can't wait to see some updates with all the new ideas goin on.
  • EsotericAgenda
    Hey this looks great.:)
    But I had a hard time trying to make out the water with that fog!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Solid scene you got here, Will.

More than anything i think this scene just needs a little pop. Your props are solid, but it's also a bit generic. I think some highly saturated flora or flowers could go a long way peppered into areas you want more interest.

A waterfall in the background on the left side framed by the rocks you already have in place would also be money.

I'm not too sold on the godrays, they're a bit yellow i think, maybe shift 'em to blue?

Also some rocks to litter the floor would help a bit, especially on the edges of the river. The ground suffers from a rolling silhouette you see often in games with terrains, kills the illusion of a hard rock floor.

As for lighting a "lighting only" shot would help us critique it a bit, but right now it's a little flat, like the skylight's a bit too high and your directional is too low or positioned to illuminate too much of the scene without creating any highlight on the silhouettes in the shot.

Lookin' forward to your updates dude.
  • wasabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow..this is nice.. I love your trees.
  • Rokkx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job Will!
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omg! amazing work !! all it needs is one big red flower somewhere to give it a nice focal point imho
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A big red flower sounds good..bring out my true nature
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update here folks, I need to be wrapping this up this week. Thanks for everyone's feedback thus far. I pushed the lighting to match the source angle some more and provided a more late afternoon feel. I also broke up the shoreline with two different rock variations as well as a dinosaur skeleton to provide visual interest. I'm still trying to push the lighting to accent that specific area but it's a tough shot.

I also continued working on the shaders to push a very wet feel to the materials, mainly the rocks. The water shader has also been worked on and now linked up with real time reflection camera. I feel I still need to tweak the camera angle for reflection due to the brightness of the right side of the water that should be under cast shadow.

Continued working on the textures, in particular the flora should pop out a lot more now.

Screenshots are all built in 'preview' Lighting quality.

Final critiques are welcome, thanks all.

e686fc.jpg

k4e82q.jpg

iqg58h.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    very nice work. majestic even. I am jealous of your skills
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice scene you have there. I want to load it up and run around.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Holy shit Will, that's 50x better.

Only crit is the lighting at this point, i think you should change the main light direction to create a focal point:
    2.jpg?w=423c98aa

No need to overhaul the lighting in the scene, you could just adjust the light channels of the water, uncheck everyting and check gameplay1 for example and add a new light that affects only the gameplay 1 channel. Then just put a yellowish point light in the back to affect only the background.

Regardless, scene rocks whatever you decide to do!
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice man the water is looking waaaay better
  • CharlieD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlieD polycounter lvl 11
    Damn will, good stuff man.
  • Gcochrane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rock solid Will, love it!
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Looking alot better man. Thie red flowers, no matter how small add some graphic weight to the scene, directly pulling in the viewers focus straight to them. :)

The lighting and materials also look vastly improved.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really awesome!
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Heaps better, good job nice to see you take that extra step.
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That water reads so much better, I couldn't tell if it was fog or water before.

Really nice scene, if I was to crit something I'd say you could push the shadows a bit more. Other than that, great update :)
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great looking scene, big improvements from what you first posted. I'm really liking your rock formations.

Here's my 2 cents on it:

Definitely try to get some shadows on the water if you can, it will help merge the water with the rest of the scene.

Your foliage is looking good but I think you can push it a bit further. If not on this project then the next one. Right now your foliage is looking fairly uniform in color (aside from the red flowers which are a nice touch).

One thing you can do if you can spare the texture space is adding some dead leaf variations to the mix, don't overdo it, just a bit here and there will probably help make it look more natural. If you can't spare the texture space or don't have the time, you can make simple color shifts with vertex colors and blend it into your existing materials.

Also, it's kind of hard to tell if you are doing this or not since your lighting is fairly diffused, but sometimes it helps to use back to back polygons rather than two-sided materials for foliage so that one side of the leaves can be lit and the other side dark from their own shadows.

It's very cool to see you going for a jungle look in UDK rather than Crysis, you've done a great job so far. I look forward to seeing the final version, keep it up :)
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaburan,this is kick ass work. Would you mind sharing some wires,texture construction sheets?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! I'll share textures, wires etc as soon as i'm finished. However it's taken well over 8 hours to get a production build done and twice it's crashed. Unfortunately have to lower my settings.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    However it's taken well over 8 hours to get a production build done and twice it's crashed
    Something is wrong. Either you have a super super slow PC or your lightmap / lighting settings are off target.

Just wanted to say I think the scene is looking great. I think the lighting could be pushed quite a bit more though. Keep rocking it!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev wrote: »
    Something is wrong. Either you have a super super slow PC or your lightmap / lighting settings are off target.

No I have a decent system. For quality sake i've been building on 1024 lightmaps for large meshes down to 128 for small meshes such as the plants.

The Lightmass process finishes just fine, takes about an hour. It's the map building process that takes a long time for some reason.

Thanks though Tyler, i'll see what I can do.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Looking great, man! As a stylistic crit, this feels more like a creek in a jungle than a swamp. That water looks appealing, but swamp water is stagnant and gross. It's hard to say how much effort it would take to make this feel more swampy as opposed to just misty jungle morning (more than just the water shader), so you may want to consider embracing the direction the environment has taken instead of trying to reroute towards a swampy style at this point.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not a swamp like my title deviously suggested. I'm just horrible at titles. =p
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    That is unacceptable. I'm going to have to dock you some points.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    For quality sake i've been building on 1024 lightmaps for large meshes down to 128 for small meshes such as the plants.
    WHOA! For some reference, the largest lightmap we used for our Unearthly challenge was a 128. Most were 32x32's. And as you can see in our final shots, shadows are nice, soft and detailed.

Once Lightmass finishes the actual lighting part, its taking all those lightmaps, re-mapping them for better shadow contrast resolution and packing them. This takes a really really long time and is why large lightmaps (like a 1024, holy crap man) will kill this process.

Can you post a nice asset / shadow that looks bad w/, at max, a 128 lightmap?

-Tyler
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, yeah just for static shots I had the resolutions bumped up super high for presentation sake, but i'm definitely paying for it in UDK. In UE3 it was much easier to get away with. Crazyfingers also helped me out a bunch, things are running a lot smoother now.

I reduced the importance volume and ran some tests. Really, the difference between preview and production is hardly minimal, and I have good lightmap unwraps so lowering the resolution appeared to produce fine results.

The bounce was the main problem for washing out the shadows. I've reduced all of them except for my primary source.

I'm rebaking again i'll post up screenshot soon. Thanks for the help though.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Will looks great as stated by others.

I do have to agree with Tyler that your lightmaps are way to big. Also I'm pretty sure you are using seperate lightmaps for each assets which in reality you wouldnt do. Really you want light maps for the floors and walls.

Remember you want to show you can do Environment Art that not only looks good but can fit a production scale. And with this scene, and even your hanger I think you tend to far exceed what should be texture sizes.

Its one thing to make great looking art when not worrying about texture limits and another thing to make great art with a production value in mind.

Sill looks great though :)
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    im really intrested on how you made your water in the 2ndary images, I was trying to get nice water reflections for a project I was doing but only got it to be semi transparent with semi reflective. Do you mind sharing your dirty little secret with us? :)
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin wrote: »
    Do you mind sharing your dirty little secret with us? :)

http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3water2.htm

That's my dirty little secret. Literally. LOL.

I used hourences shader setup as outlined in his indoor water tutorial as a basis for mine. I basically added a real time camera setup for the reflections, otherwise I would have used cubemap, mixed several nodes to accommodate an outdoor environment and customized normals for texture panning.

But it's all thanks to Hourence.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    kaburan wrote: »
    http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3water2.htm

That's my dirty little secret. Literally. LOL.

I used hourences shader setup as outlined in his indoor water tutorial as a basis for mine. I basically added a real time camera setup for the reflections, otherwise I would have used cubemap, mixed several nodes to accommodate an outdoor environment and customized normals for texture panning.

But it's all thanks to Hourence.

funny I used this same thing to get my water but to get it to be semi translucent it didnt handle a reflection very well