Home General Discussion

Thoughts on exposing bad workers

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
PeterK greentooth
So, what do you guys think?

Not delivering on time, failing to make changes, outright disappearing in the middle of work. There should be some public accountability for gross misconduct, no ? Have you guys had any similar experiences?

No NDA stuff please!

Replies

• Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    sticky subject... one thing I can say for sure is personal accountability is definitely important... but public? Not so much. No need to humiliate someone.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    i havent been in the industry yet, but from all my work experience ive had, what ive noticed is that the bad workers generally get whats comin to them. it may take longer than you want it to, but my managers always seemed to know what was going on, even when they werent around. the number of times i was double schedualled with someone, thinking it was a mistake, i would show up just to see them get fired, and i work their station (restaurant work) that day.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    My opinion is that it's none of your business whether or not your boss wants to employ shoddy workers or not. It's not your company. You worry about what you can worry about, and let your boss worry about his job.

Of course if what he's doing affects you directly, then take it up personally with this person, and if that doesn't work, then take it up with your boss. Otherwise, it's not your job to review other employees.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I would take it up with the boss before taking it up with the person directly. Nobody likes to be told by their peers that they're doing a shoddy job. That should come from someone in a position of authority.

Especially if it's someone you work closely with, all you might end up doing is making them resent you and not actually improve their performance. If you tell someone in seniority and keep it discreet, then they get it down the chain of command which they should respect, or risk the consequences.

If someone is really performing badly and it's either affecting you directly or having an adverse effect on the project or studio as a whole, then you should take it up with (depending on the size and structure of your studio) their lead or senior first, then the producer, a director or HR.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    aesir wrote: »
    My opinion is that it's none of your business whether or not your boss wants to employ shoddy workers or not. It's not your company. You worry about what you can worry about, and let your boss worry about his job.

Of course if what he's doing affects you directly, then take it up personally with this person, and if that doesn't work, then take it up with your boss. Otherwise, it's not your job to review other employees.

What aesir said. Feel confident in your work to carry you and let others' lack of good work do the opposite for them, if that makes any sense. No need to become the office snitch.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Good points of view. Mind you, I am mostly talking about freelancers.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From a workers stand point: If it effects me or something I'm working on I'll probably say something to them. If they handle it poorly and don't wise up, I'll say it again in email and CC their boss. Basically 1 attempt at verbal rescue and after that they can swim back on their own.

From a management stand point:
    It's in everyone's best interest to handle those things discretely and positively. If the person can't come around after being talked to in a constructive helpful manner then they need to go.

From an outside stand point:
    It's entertaining as hell to watch people implode. People turn out in droves to watch a good public flogging. Highly destructive to all involved but the world loves destruction, especially if the person is a hypocritical, unrepentant, asshole. You might as well sell tickets.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, doing that kind of thing publicly is a bad idea. I understand the want to do it, but let's just take me for example. I was working a few years back, and I thought I was doing a decent enough job, but a couple of mistakes on my part, and things start changing. No details, but I found that a person higher up in the studio was talking about me like I was a complete un-professional bastard to someone I was friends with.

The fact of the matter was, I WAS an un-professional bastard, but THOUGHT I was doing a good job. I have learned my lesson, and my place, since then, but what if that art director had posted on the net how much of a slug I was? That could have given me a bigger black eye for a longer time than was reasonably necessary. So I say leave ti to the folks in higher positions to make the call.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    what aesir said. If it affects you directly, talk to the person. Be friendly and explain how their behavior affects your work. If the guy is reasonable he sees how he's harming you and he will probably try to better himself in order to not land on your bad side. If that doesn't help, I'd take it up with your boss.

If the guy seems to do this on purpose and hinders your work, go to your boss.

Otherwise it's not really your job to monitor performance of your peers.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Publicly humiliating someone because they did a bad job is bad form, not professional at all and basically a dick move unless they did something specifically and intentionally to spoil your reputation or progress as a company.

If you are a boss and someone doesn't live up to your standards or set expectations, you mention it to them, give them time to improve. If they don't improve, you cut them loose and move on to the next new employee. End of story. If someone asks you later on to comment on the employee's employment with you, like doing a employment check for a new job, then feel free to comment on how the employee in question performed for you. You never know, the person in question may just not have fit in your work environment or worked well with some part of your corporation which attributed to their poor performance.

Again, if the person was using stolen art, stealing teammates art, stealing money from the company or any of these things, then yah, a public shaming may be in order. Just doing a poor job? Nah, not worth the effort.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Vig wrote: »
    Highly destructive to all involved but the world loves destruction, especially if the person is a hypocritical, unrepentant, asshole. You might as well sell tickets.

You sir, just blew my mind.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    PeterK wrote: »
    Good points of view. Mind you, I am mostly talking about freelancers.

Like you as a freelancer telling an employer about the work habits of another freelancer?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Casually (yet professionally) send an email to the persons lead describing what you're witnessing and the impact it has on YOU as a team-mate or the products development. Citing why its effecting work is more effective then outright complaining.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    It also depends in what area they're failing. Personally? Professionally? Hygienically?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    if you`re doing freelance work, and your employer is talkin about bringing someone else in as well, and you know that person is a bad worker... is that what you`re talking about? if so, personally, id probably warn them that in the past they havent been the best. but in a way that they are free to make their own decisions about them.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub wrote: »
    If someone asks you later on to comment on the employee's employment with you, like doing a employment check for a new job, then feel free to comment on how the employee in question performed for you. You never know, the person in question may just not have fit in your work environment or worked well with some part of your corporation which attributed to their poor performance.
    Gotta be careful with this one, I don't know about other states or countries but where I live you can only confirm employment and wages in a professional capacity. As a personal reference or away from any work related obligations then you're free to say whatever. But the person can come back on the company if you say one way or the other who the person preformed.

They really don't have a reason to trust you outside of verification. If they currently work for the company they could be total trash you're trying to get rid of and are talking them up. Or they could be a nice person you feel bad for but a horrible worker...
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Yea if this person is a coworker, leave it to the person directly above him/her to take care of the problem. No need to pull a Christian Bale and tell him/her off publicly, it makes you an asshole and probably will leave other coworkers wondering wtf is wrong with you.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Good catch, Vig. I didn't even really think about that when I was writing it out and honestly had totally forgotten that all you can ask for is employment date range verification in the US.

DURRT.

Everything else I said still stands. :P
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    While they may deserve it, and everyone loves a good flogging as Vig put it. It might come at a cost.
    Since it's your company, what you say directly reflects how the company as a whole is maintained. It might keep some prospects at a distance because they don't want to be involved or associated with it.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    if someone went behind my back, when they could have had the decency to tell me to my face
    I would be rather upset.
    I always tell people to their face what my point of view is.
    no one likes a tell tale, particularly when there might be times in the future when you might fuck up something yourself.
    If someone was not working properly I would try and help them first, try and spell it out without being too much of an asshole about it.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yes, it all depends on 'who' is the one noticing. If you are the person in a management role over them you have the right to demand accountability and should do so as it's costing you money and time.

If it's a peer co-worker, unfortunately it can suck but you really have no recourse but to worry about yourself unless your work is affected by them and then it should go up the chain, not up to you to call them out.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snitches Get Stitches!
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    yea, I was looking at this from a management position where failure on said workers part costs you time/money/reputation. Good points all around; I am a big fan of accountability.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Vig wrote: »

From an outside stand point:
    It's entertaining as hell to watch people implode. People turn out in droves to watch a good public flogging. Highly destructive to all involved but the world loves destruction, especially if the person is a hypocritical, unrepentant, asshole. You might as well sell tickets.

I've had front row tickets.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bottom line: "If you cannot say something nice about someone. Don't say ANYTHING at all"
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    Bottom line: "If you cannot say something nice about someone. Don't say ANYTHING at all"
    Instead passively aggressively work to assassinate their self esteem and character. Do it with a smile on your face and malice in your heart. Truly make it a labor of love and never let up and never let them know what you're up to.

Those are the bestest co-workers. =P

Bring it up, just don't be an asshat about it.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    I say fuck him in the arse, that's right the arse.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Anyway, I think discretion is the better way to go. Thanks for everyone else's thoughts on this.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    What amuses me the most about this thread is how PeterK's signature says "President: Exis Interactive" yet nearly no-one assumed that he was talking from a management perspective.

For good info on dealing with outsourcers and such I tend to look to Jon Jones' blog. New entry recently turns out.
    http://www.thejonjones.com/

This post, from a few years ago, is right on topic for what you're dealing with

http://www.thejonjones.com/2007/04/06/a-few-tips-for-dealing-with-contractors/
    5. Never badmouth a contractor. I’ve never done this and I never intend to. No matter how bad someone may be or act, these are still real people with real lives, just like you. It never pays to burn bridges, even ones that there seems to be no risk in burning. If you run off at the mouth about someone you don’t like and affect their job, that could affect their own ability to put food in their kids’ mouths. Yes, that’s their responsibility and not yours, but why spread bad blood? It’s a bad strategy because it closes off options, no matter which way you cut it. Do unto others…
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Vailias wrote: »
    What amuses me the most about this thread is how PeterK's signature says "President: Exis Interactive" yet...

no it doesnt...
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /me reading fail.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I wouldn't say or do anything, unless it affects you directly (Ex. you need his prop to finish your level on time.) Leave it to management to find it out for themselves. It's none of your responsibility, and imo unprofessional to 'rat people out'.

Also your not being very discreet about this whole thing Peter Kojesta of Exis Interactive. Lots of people read these forums. Just my two cents :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I'll agree with what's been stated in this thread, life's too short to be rattin' people out. I've talked shit here and there, and it always bites me in the ass and I immediately regret it. Just let things slide, do a good job if you want since you can take pride in it.

Here's the question: Do you save lives on your job? Is what you do incredibly important to the happiness of others? If yes, then yeah, i'd say you're obliged to those who depend on you to make sure your boss is running a tight ship. But lets face it, most jobs aren't of an tremendous importance and we all just do our thing and everyone's pretty happy at the end of the day, i think we can take solace in that.

If you personally want to work with better employees, it's best to find a company that actively seeks those employees rather than trying to change your company to be like others.
  • Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    tl;dr the entire thread... quite frankly I'm too tired...

But I can relate. I work in the tech department of a school and noticed the new guy skipping out on some things, leaving work at random to roam the city, and leaving classified info in the library... The classified info thing I told to our boss, but the other stuff I left out until my boss approached me and told me to let him know of anything he does that's particularly lackluster or incompetent...

So I'd say let him know personally to get his shit together. If he doesn't, then I'd say bring it to the attention of your higher-ups in private... Like that one guy said, public humility is pretty harsh...

Although, now that I think about it... (S)he'll be so embarrassed that either they'll get in line or quit.

Ultimately... My post is useless... good night
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Catch them coming out of work.....they wont know what hit them :O
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    keep calm and carry on
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    hawken wrote: »
    keep calm and carry on

Indeed.

Do your own job. They'll reap what they sow and so will you.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Cojax wrote: »
    Also your not being very discreet about this whole thing Peter Kojesta of Exis Interactive. Lots of people read these forums. Just my two cents :)

Yea i have to agree on this point.

In my experience, its best not to air your dirty laundry in public :S
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    I would take it up with the boss before taking it up with the person directly. Nobody likes to be told by their peers that they're doing a shoddy job. That should come from someone in a position of authority.

On the other hand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restorative_justice

In restorative justice processes the justice system has the person who has done harm and the person who has been harmed take an active role. The victim may receive an apology, direct reparation or indirect action to restore or fix the damage.

Heh, the boss gets them to come out at a meeting and admit their laxness to all.

Its somewhat the opposite of discretion. Or having others talk about it publicly behind the persons back. You make the person doing it have to fess up in front of all.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I think Cojax and Metalliandy should take it easy. Nobody is Airing anything fellas; I list topics which are important to me and my profession. Things I am interested in knowing more about. If that's a bit much, feel free to find a "i can has vegetable soup" thread.

There's sites out there that rate companies, and there is a FICO score for companies to use in determining a candidates credit. I wonder if there is something for contractors and so forth. By "bad worker", I don't mean someone who is sluggish, I mean someone who causes financial / marketing problems for a company; through bad work (quit mid work), or through leaking documents or media.

I am looking at this from a management and ownership perspective; sure, you can fire someone, but wouldn't knowing beforehand save you time/money/headache? I think Jon mentioned that in his post about contractors. plus, who the hell wants to fire people, I'm not a publisher looking to make pretty balance sheets. This thread is about industry stuff, not any personal nonsense.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Teams sink or swim on the merit of their workers. It is an even bigger deal on small teams-- It is hard to say that someone else's work has nothing to do with you when you are crunching trying to fix the stuff they messed up. If your team makes a bad game you are the one who is out of a job.

In terms of the topic, I think we know the score on this sort of thing. There is a lot of informal talk about people, and the game dev world is really small. I like to know the what is up with any group I work with. Reputation counts an awful lot, and I have worked hard to keep a good one.

I don't think there is any need to publicly out people. The system in place works just fine.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    So, what do you guys think?

Not delivering on time, failing to make changes, outright disappearing in the middle of work. There should be some public accountability for gross misconduct, no ? Have you guys had any similar experiences?

No NDA stuff please!

from the management perspective, you would want to work with the employee to highlight the problems and suggest steps to improve. Disciplinary action/Termination should eventually follow if they are not improving/not making the effort. Publicly outing the dude may be cathartic but it will scare your other employees and make them distrustful and more likely to hide problems rather than talk about them openly for fear of the same treatment.

Successes should be announced and shared and publicized, failures should be private and behind closed doors. Joe Mediocre isn't going to be inspired by you telling his peers that he sucks, he's going to be hurt and resentful and at best is going to start looking for another job. Morale across the team will drop, both because now they know that Joe sucks and they know that management has no problem throwing people under the bus, when in reality management is to blame for not stepping up and helping correct this situation sooner.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    So it took me a while to get what this is about. Then I realized you work for a service company like me.

You always need to have a backup when trying new people. Ask for references and once you find good contractors stick with them, treat them well and they will return the favor.

Never sign on to a new project of any significant importance and use all new people, that would be selling ocean front property in Arizona. I know a few companies that do and their reputation suffers greatly for it.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Ghostscape: very good advice!
    I think telling people off in front of others is never a very good idea, unless you're a drill sgt in the army or similar
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another thought, in terms of risk mitigation, would be to have an internal policy of only doing smaller "per asset" jobs with new contractors until a certain amount of successful completed assets are met and they've earned your trust via work enough to merit being given larger and or longer contracts.

While breaking up what is essentially one large thing into multiple small bits does create a bit more managerial overhead (documentation etc), it also allows for you to easily not continue with an under-performing or un-performing contractor, and also allows for said contractors to bail at more convenient times, ie AFTER they've finished that lamp post. Also should they just stop working, you are only really out the one asset they're working on, and can transfer the other work you had lined up for them later to a different contractor who's proven themselves more consistent and trustworthy. There is always the possibility of totally unavoidable personal circumstances forcing them to stop working, and they may not be able to tell you about it, but if you aren't counting on them for a whole slice of the project, then you aren't in danger of losing a whole slice of the project to unforeseen events.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously, in this current economy and job market I would think long and hard before f---ing with someones career.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    people who disappear during work, deliver stuff late and so on...well, maybe it should be them not fxxking with their own career in an economy like that. Behavior like that seems to be quite stupid unless you got a really got reason to do so. Even then it might be a good idea to let your boss know of those reasons why they behave like they do. In my career my bosses all were quite understanding and helpful when you had proper reasons.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I think Cojax and Metalliandy should take it easy. Nobody is Airing anything fellas; I list topics which are important to me and my profession. Things I am interested in knowing more about. If that's a bit much, feel free to find a "i can has vegetable soup" thread.

There's sites out there that rate companies, and there is a FICO score for companies to use in determining a candidates credit. I wonder if there is something for contractors and so forth. By "bad worker", I don't mean someone who is sluggish, I mean someone who causes financial / marketing problems for a company; through bad work (quit mid work), or through leaking documents or media.

I am looking at this from a management and ownership perspective; sure, you can fire someone, but wouldn't knowing beforehand save you time/money/headache? I think Jon mentioned that in his post about contractors. plus, who the hell wants to fire people, I'm not a publisher looking to make pretty balance sheets. This thread is about industry stuff, not any personal nonsense.
    Right o my bad.
    I just didnt want you to get into trouble thats all mate :)
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    people who disappear during work, deliver stuff late and so on...well, maybe it should be them not fxxking with their own career in an economy like that. Behavior like that seems to be quite stupid unless you got a really got reason to do so. Even then it might be a good idea to let your boss know of those reasons why they behave like they do. In my career my bosses all were quite understanding and helpful when you had proper reasons.

I'm not disagreeing with that at all, I was more speaking to the fact that if your the one that rats someone out there might be some real life consequences from that individual.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10

I didn't know it was from a management view point. Still I don't think anything I said was out of line. Just my view on the whole situation. Most of what I said doesn't apply now though heh. However I do not believe a public 'outing' of said individuals should ever be considered. Just not professional imo. No bad feelings buddy!