Home› Technical Talk

symmetry with zApplink?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ablaine polycounter lvl 14
Hey all,

Is it possible to use symmetry with zApplink? Say I'm polypainting textures on my highpoly sculpt (which I'm going to bake to the lowpoly) and would like to use zapplink to take a shoulderpad into photoshop then drop some texture on it, would it be possible to mirror that to the other shoulderpad somehow?

I'm painting the highpoly model right now which doesn't have uvs.. If it was the low poly I would just mirror the uvs.

Is this possible? Any tips?

Thanks!

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    if the model is symetrical you can just resym the whole model, that should mirror the painting
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Its too early for me to do any sort of real thinking, but if you just painted half the face and left the other half looking like crap, only the half you want is going to show up in the final bake anyway? It might ruin the presentation of the high-poly mesh, but should still work for the low.

Or just copy the layer in photoshop / whatever you zapplink to, paste, flip horizontal, and merge down.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    You could try just mirroring the texturing shoulderpad via subtool master, I think that might keep the painting.

Alternatively you could try using zapplink to just copy the layer, flip it and erase all but what you want. May take doing that from different views though to get the whole shoulderpad.

I think the first option is probably worth trying first.
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks, I'll definitely try those suggestions.

The model is symmetrical and I tried to resym but it didn't appear to have any effect. I'll give it another go after I get home from work.. That would be a quick way to do it if it works.

If not I am going to be mirroring it over in the low poly anyways.. But it would be nice for presentation's sake.

Thanks again :)
  • silversteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i haven't tested this too much because it's a new feature, but if you have the latest zbrush update (r3) you could also try the "mirror and weld" function. you'll have to delete your lower subdivisions, mirror and weld, and then use "reconstruct subdiv" if you want your lower poly levels back.