Home Technical Talk

My vertices are spazzing out in size?

Hey everyone... I read this post http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=57532 because I had a problem with my verts disappearing. MoP's post helped, but it is only temporary and comes back when I reload my scene file... But there's more now!

1. The vertices do disappear like stated above regardless if I reload the scene and regardless of what scene I open.

2. The vertices when "scaled" down like in MoP's trick do re-appear, but they keep changing in size (the blue square indicators). I checked the viewport preferences and they're on the default (2 and 3) and regardless of what I change them to, it still changes in size.

3. I can fix the problem in general by changing my driver to open GL... But that's not fun... My FPS gets cut in half.

4. I deleted the max .ini file but that doesn't do anything either... :(

Anyone know what's going on?

Replies

• Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I have constant problems with disappearing vertices and tried everything in the thread you linked, sometimes some of the solutions work but some other times nothing seems to work and I've actually given up and gotten used to occasionally working with invisible, but clickable vertices :p

I've actually gotten used to many little annoyances in 3d max, such as my duplicated objects losing their material, my "\" hotkey suddenly forgetting its function and thinking its the "B" hotkey (I know it thinks its a B because when I go to customize hotkey and hit \, a b pops up instead), the undo button no longer working, one time the save AND autobak stopped working and many others that I cant think of right now :p
    But yea I get used to it, and that undo one can be fixed by restarting max... which isnt ideal but whatever :(
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's just small stuff like that that annoy me... It's supposed to work correctly, it used to work correctly, and I want it back :(

Did you try the Open GL trick I posted?
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just tested it, yes opengl trick fixes it.... but then the viewport texture display is very low res and I just played around with the opengl settings, seems like none of them give a decent resolution :(

hmm things seem to be smoother with opengl, i dont notice any fps drop... but that low res texture makes the option not worth it :/
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora wrote: »
    just tested it, yes opengl trick fixes it.... but then the viewport texture display lis very low res and I just played around with the opengl settings, seems like none of them give a decent resolution :(

Yeah I know :(

But on the bright side! I fixed it...

I closed out Max in total, opened the program again (opens a new scene file) and then merged the old scene file in there and it worked perfectly.

Give it a shot!

In my first post, you may notice I said I did make a new scene file... But that was from file>new xD
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nope, creating a new scene only fixed it until I zoomed in... maybe its something to do with my switcher plugin where I zoom with alt+right click...

edit: nope, disabled switcher, restarted max, problem still occurs after I do anything, including navigating viewport and switching to another sub-object selection mode mode - even on a fresh scene with just a cube created.

edit #2; found a fix; disable the "show vertices as dots" preference, and then vertices become a crosshair type thingy. Which is smaller than my old dots, but better than being invisible. yay :o

Thanks for making the thread, I was actually too lazy to try and fix the problem and really had gotten used to it :p
    These new crosshair-vertices arent bad.
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nope, creating a new scene only fixed it until I zoomed in... maybe its something to do with my switcher plugin where I zoom with alt+right click...

edit: nope, disabled switcher, restarted max, problem still occurs after I do anything, including navigating viewport and switching to another sub-object selection mode mode - even on a fresh scene with just a cube created.

edit #2; found a sort of fix; disable the "show vertices as dots" preference, and then vertices become a crosshair type thingy. Which is smaller than my old dots, but better than being invisible. yay i guess :o

Yeah that worked for me too...

Ummm, not to sound like a dick, but did you close out max in it's entirety (not just your scene file) and then reopened the program (not a scene file) and then merge?

:P :)
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea of course, I tried just opening max and making a cube, not even merging with my broken file and the vertice-dots still dont work :/ but no problem! vertex crosshairs are fine
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea of course, I tried just opening max and making a cube, not even merging with my broken file and the vertice-dots still dont work :/ but no problem! vertex crosshairs are fine

Haha, I would imagine... Considering you worked with nothing :P

Good luck!
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the same problem. Here's how i fix it:
    Select all the vertices, selecting scale, then go customize>preferences>viewport>configure drivers> and un-check redraw scene on window expose> click ok and click ok on the preference setting too.
    Then go back and turn redraw scene on window expose back on.
    Then reopen preferences, go to view port and change the vertice size and handle size.
    At this point all the vetices have become visible for me so i just go back into preferences>viewport and change the vertex size back to 3 and handle size to 3

Luckily for me, recently I've been able to skip the whole redraw on windows expose step and make the vertices visible just by selecting all of them, clicking scale and changing their size in preferences>viewport.

Hope this works for you
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dippndots wrote: »
    ...make the vertices visible just by selecting all of them, clicking scale and changing their size in preferences>viewport.

oh wow, this actually worked ;o I wonder how long it lasts until the problem occurs again~

Thanks

edit; just looked over the previous thread again and realised mops solution was actually the same... For some reason when I read it at the time I thought mops trick was to select all vertices and then scale them (and then undo the scale) - this actually worked at that time so didnt think I misread it :/
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh wow, this actually worked ;o I wonder how long it lasts until the problem occurs again~

Thanks

Yeah, that's what I meant by MoP's trick. But dippndots had a lot more to it. I found though that it was the scene file itself, maybe it's different for you who knows :P
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glad to to hear it helped you Yozora. Sorry that my solution didnt you Titus.