Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

5s general

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
*edit: throwing the latest update here too i guess*
finals_test02.jpg

wakka wakka.
saw this concept by hethe over at cghub and really wanted to try it out, crazy proportions ftw (tho mine still need heaps more pushing i think)

http://cghub.com/images/view/38426/

anywhoos, got a rough anatomy blockin and started quickly sculpting out some clothes. I gotta go back and resculpt it all with more sense behind the folds and with symmetry off, but testing out shapes atm.
Comments and crits would be aws, especially on getting the proportions and junk looking right :poly142:

01a.jpg

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Off to a really good start :D!

At first i thought the character was going to be an elderly, but strong samurai or something, but this is cool as well :).
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    So far so good, man.
    It's a pretty slick concept, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out in 3D.
    If you're planning on using this as a folio piece, I would strongly recommend you ask permission from the original concept artist.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers for the repliez guys =D

emil: agreed on the permission thing, just wanted to make sure i didn't give up after 5 min of crappy sculpting :P

redid the pants, still kinda messy (i should prolly grab some ref sometime >_>)... and threw a bunch of blocks in there. that helmet thing is gonna be crazy :poly142:

01c.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    and imma go get some sleep... got helmet block in and head sculpt to do tommorow :\

01d.jpg
  • jakelear
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Ignoring the concept, it kinda looks like a stylized bruce willis from die hard.
  • ioster
    I really like how this is coming out. I might grab one of Hethes concepts for my next sculpt too. Good find!
  • Razorb
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    nice :D! love the proportions
  • Rojo
    Nice! Perhaps the legs could taper more, they don't look as exaggerated as the illustration.
  • praxedes
    oooh- I'm doing this guy too! You're further into it than me, I've just started the base mesh about a week ago...wierd! It'll be really good to see how yours comes out- Based on your other work I strongly suspect it'll make mine look naff by comparsion :D good luck!

~P~
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear: lol, i did just watch die hard 1-4 over the last 4 nights... could be a subconscious thing happening :P
    ioster: cheers man. He's got some really cool stuff, love his style
    Razorb: thanks man :)
    Tim: cool point on the legs, been really hard fighting with zb perspective and maya perspective and how the final fov should look... hopefully got them lookin a little thinner ^^
    praxedes: hehe, make sure you post prog pics so i can steal all your ideas... no clue how i'm gonna tackle some of the other block elements yet :P
    pior: woo, cheers man ^__^

thanks for the replies everyone. Finally got a block helmet in to test the shapes and proportions, needs to be bulkier... and betterer :P
    head still needs some tweaking, but i can't wait to do the final goggles, cube map over orange diffuse with increased spec power :poly142:

thinking of going photosource texturing too, produces a weird realistic result which should look kinda cool over the the crazy stylized anatomy.

01e.jpg

02a.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    OOO my likey!
    Your such a game art whore!! I like it :D
  • penrod
    Offline / Send Message
    penrod polycounter lvl 14
    Looks awesome so far! Looking forward to the finished sculpt =D
  • martinszeme
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Great choice of concept art! Love your work so far.
    His gentlemen area looks scary tight. :D
    But it fits this character. :)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    butt: :P cheers manz (that's how i roll :P)
    penrod: ty ^^
    martinszeme: wouldn't want anything being loose now :P (tho i might be making the folds a bit too small, moreso in that 'area' :poly122:)

mini update before i go play some vidya games or whatev. Not really diggin the pants, tried resculptin already and going over it a bunch of times. Think the folds might be too small and not big and baggy enough to indicate the right material, mebbe.

I'll see how i like em after shirt sculpting and replacing some of those block meshes.

02d.jpg
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    fucking coooool
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    looking sweet.

As always, very impressed by your work ethic. Keep it up!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Wow. this is looking very nice so far! Definitely something worth keeping track of :)
    As mentioned, you're making great progress too!
  • warriah
    Offline / Send Message
    warriah polycounter lvl 12
    hehe nice one. im actaully using the same concept for reference for a model im working on.
    if anything i would say the head is too big and helmet too small if your going to match the concept exactly. up to you really.

good work so far!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct: thanks man ^^
    aesir: cheers... just wait till i take my regular 2 month break between modelling and texturing :P (jk, gotta get this done before my photoshop trial ends)
    OrganizedChaos: ty. Glad to hear things moving forward on this stuff ^^
    warriah: cheers dude. Agree'd on the helmet head situation, tryin to get the rough shape/scale right in zb... make sure you post yours up some time, would be nice ot see how it's done (never saw how your comicon spiderman ended up actually, gotta go hunt that down now) :)

thanks for the nice comments all, still working this stuff out. nice to be doing some more things in maya again and just sculpting in detail. Sorry for the colour correction too, i kinda like it but might not be everyone's taste.

02e.jpg

02f.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    arg, hate when things go bad and you get completley demotivated :poly127:
    anyway, yesterday didn't go so well. Boots weren't shaping out nicley, sub d modelling the knees was lookin crap, then the pouches were a pain in the ass.

Anyway, i came back in today and just free sculpted these pouches out in zbrush and i'm heaps happier with them now. Gotta get some more easy stuff done before tackling the knees and boots again (still got helmet to go >_<).

03a.jpg
  • gaganjain
    Nizza looking will watch at end result...
    Don't you think crotch area spread large.or is because standing pose...:)
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    looking totally awesome, dont let yourself feel blue, its shaping up so nicely!
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    he is looking great, will agree that legs need to tapper a bit more to fit with the concept a bit better.

love that belt though!
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    God those proportions are BLOOWWINNNNGGG my mind!

Beautiful work!
  • SubPablo
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    this is aaaace! Great concept choice, just be sure to get that characterization back into the face before you're through. -teeny tiny hawk-nose, widearse mouth, and downward pointing goggles. -great wrinkles, man!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    gaganjain: cheers dude. crotch might be a bit wide, planning to rotate the legs from out of the pelvis so won't get much wider at least :P
    wizo: thanks man :)
    autocon: hehe, cheers. Agree'd on the legs, hoping the new boots will help out
    Jason: :poly124: thanks man
    subpablo: cool points, consider it done (once i get back up there ^^). Thinking of flattening out the planes a leetle more too, get some sharper edges in between forms

i keep putting off the boots, knees and helmet i think, lest i fall back into more slump :poly122:
    anyways, still got more to go on the hands (better folds/forms, seams, etc) but got some mad sleeping coming up (it's gonna be tight yo :poly142:)

03b.jpg
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    This is pure sex. Love what you've done with this so far, and that arm is coming along beautifully.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    lotekk: hehe, cheers man ^^

almost done with this guy. Still got shirt and gloves refining... mostly been struggling with the hard surface/sub-d modelling on the helmet so far... Really hope it turns out half decent to finish this dude off.

kinda pissed with how the knees turned out but hoping they can be salvaged with some texture work. Don't think they've got as much character or style as i'd like.
    Gonna go do the low poly for a bit, mindless retopo and uv'ing should be a nice break :poly142:

(and magenta rawks >:{!!!)

04a.jpg
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i've noticed on a lot of your sculpts that there are repeated areas you don't pay attention to, overlook, or are just missing the mark on. on this model, the transition from the bicep, deltoid, pec region is off. the fold should be going up, not down onto the top of the bicep. on the back side, the same kind of issue with the tricep to delt teres region... the muscles just don't lay that way... this is very noticeable on the right hand side of the 3/4 view on the right. the bicep to forearm transition needs some attention as well. it's these medium level details that you seem to continually overlook in your models. the basics of form, and silhouette are all there... the high level details with weight and style are all there and look fantastic, but these little medium level details seem to falter again and again. the same with your ears as well. not relevant to this model, but their transition from the back to the skull seems to give you issues by looking at your zb thread. the shit looks damn near perfect, just pull it back a bit, dial those in, and you're solid.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    really good crit man. 100% agree on the med details (in pretty much all mah sculptings).
    I tried a quick touch up on the 'shoulder' area, hope thats looking a leetle better (the bicep attached to humerous bone, pec rolled over that and delt over that part). Still gotta go over the forarm/upper arm connecting area again, that area is kinda bananas :\

hmm, now you got me wanting to do a fresh male anatomy sculpt (on top of the 3 other chars i just started up :P). Good stuff to practice on dude.

04b.jpg
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    that's lookin' much better dude... i didn't say anything about the forearm since it was in the concept and added a particular style to the character... somewhat anatomically forked from the get go, but 'meh, it works, and if you put the concept along side the finished model, i doubt anyone would question that area... other spots though (like the pec/delt/bicep area) i think should just be sculpted correctly and make sense... i digress keep going dude... these little tweaks shouldn't be too much of a hassle for ya... just keep going up and down in those divisions, back and forth, and kick some ass.
  • Rojo
    The gloves seem too tight, should there be so much definition in the palms? It doesn't feel like a padded/protective material, but more like latex.

Stretching to find something to critique. It's shaping up nicely and I admire your work.
  • BigErn
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    Great work Nizza! your work is a great inspiration! I like how quick you get on with it :) something I need to learn.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice clothing sculpts. Arm anatomy still looks a bit wonky in the bicep and deltoid, but looks like you're still working on that area.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    firebert: hehe, cheers man. Agree on the mid lvl details fo shizzle. Gotta keep that stuff in mind for my male anat. study (yar, starting more chars is fun to do :P)
    Tim: cool point on the gloves. I tried making the folds a little bigger and leather like, hoping they work out alright on the bake
    BigErn: thanks man. And here i am beating myself up for taking so long with this :P
    poop: thanks dude ^^ Yeah, arm has been buggin me on this guy for a while. Gotta try stepping down in the levels some more and get the forms shaping up better.

anyways, so much for some relaxing retopo... I kinda went overboard on teh details and produced the highest poly game rez mesh evah >:{
    At 10k right now, i'm guessing 13-14 with pouches and holster and 15-17 when that helmet goes in there mebbe :poly122: (still gotta get to optimizing in maya mind you)

Hoping it'll bake a decent nrml map at least... could argue that it's the base/lod1/cinematic mesh :poly136:

05a.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, finally upgrading from zb3.1 tonight too.
    Just saw that new r3 tutorial vid and those hard surfacey brushes look very cool. Might be a good way to go about the helmet :)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    hokay, just tried out maya 2k9 and i looove eet :)
    uv'ing was actually fun, and jesus that soft selection was insanley overdue. Anyway, here's a quick test bake.
    Still getting used to new zbrush, figured some texturing would be a nice break.

It's currently sitting at 11k tri's is the only prob. Hoping with a bit more optimizing i can keep it at that with the pistol handle, left leg 'thing' and helmet added in. Maybe 12k, but i guess that's kinda normal for a ut3 lod0 mesh (actually it's on the low side but those meshes are crazy cool).

05b.jpg
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Super clean!! Great job man!
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    This kicks ass!!! Fantastic work!

- BoBo
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    it looks so funny and great!!! Keep it comming!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers gais ^__^

only really worked on the pants and shirt so far and just started trying out stuff on the head. Thinking a realistic look would be dope so i'll prolly give photosourcing a shot (little joke attempt on the face there).
    And workin on a badass marmo post effect too :poly142:

05d.jpg

Also found this in the massive black folio. Good excuse to do a detailed male anatomy study base before throwing clothes on :)
    http://www.massiveblack.com/MBwebolution/media/conceptart/atari_SHINYplagueSecurityGuardColorFLAT.jpg
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    friggin love those goggles/glasses. the tattoo is awesome too.

great job so far Nizza :)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom: ^__^ cheers man

leetle bit mo texturing. Figured how to make a (crappy) alpha mask for my marmo screenshots =D (switch to flat colour mode and clear the diff and choose a contrasting background colour :P)

would be nice if there was a way to plug in a gloss map or a map to control the fresnel exponent thing, soo much materials up in here so far :\

oh, first one is with sunny, second one is with stormy and slightly upped brightness... think i like stormy better (less blown out), would just have to mess with colour balance more at the end.

06a.jpg
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The skin looks better in sunny IMO. Clothes look better in stormy.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    zacd: hmm, i gotta mess around with making some solid colour diff maps and seeing if i can mask off bits :P

kp: ^^ cheers man

almost kinda sorta finished the base textures... no idea wtf i'm gonna do about the goggs... only thing i can think of is duping some geo over the orange part and crank the spec power up... tho i don't think marmo can do tranparency like that.
    Oh and more post/sky fun :poly122:

Gotta get that helmet done asap after some sleep... then i can go outside and frollic once more :poly142:

06b.jpg
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I like the C version!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • killingpeople