Home General Discussion

IGDA Health Care

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
parasyte7 polycounter lvl 18
I know lots of people on these forums have lost their jobs and therefore, lost their benefits. IGDA is going to start offering a healthcare option for all members starting January 2010. Great reason to join the IGDA.

You can read more here: http://www.igda.org/board-blog/igda-starts-healthcare-program

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely a good idea for smaller, indie studios that might not be able to afford group healthcare otherwise. I believe that I registered a company that a partner and I started a while back for the IGDA. Unfortunately, we've never gotten around to producing a game, so I'm not sure we would qualify as being "in good standing."

Still, a very interesting development. I would be a lot more willing to strike out on my own if I could get cheaper healthcare through a plan like this.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Kudos! Finally, there is some benefit that all members can see.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    FYI, this is just a group rate, not a sponsored plan. So, it will be cheaper than $500/mo, but not as cheap as what you would get working for a larger employer. It is good news, though, and a step in the right direction for the largely pointless IGDA. It'll be interesting to see the pricing and coverage details when they have them.