Home General Discussion

SOE sued by visually impaired gamer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6239339.html

"Beyond the denial of entertainment, the suit also contends that Sony's actions have caused visually impaired gamers a financial loss. Because Sony runs an official auction site where gamers can sell their in-game items for real money, the suit says Stern's inability to participate in that marketplace is costing him money."

Oh wow, really? Nice.

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So how do you game when blind anyways?
    pinart.jpg
    One of these as a screen?
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    let's sue car companies because they make a product i can't use

this is ridiculous... hopefully nonsense like this will get dismissed in court.
    you don't see me running around and filing suit against dreamworks and the rest for making 3D movies I can't watch in full 3D since i'm visually imparied.. i don't even have one of those handicap tags (even though i could easily obtain one)... people like this should get there testicles removed by a vise because they don't deserve to wear them... *sigh* another drain on the economy and the public image of the good old american culture... i think i'll write him a thank you letter.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    thats just completely daft
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually i kind of agree with him. Not about the loosing money bit but about the accessibility of games for visually impaired people. A viable solution such as implementing sound features to aid people may well open up a new genre of sound based games. It might not sound (no pun intended) exciting to non impaired users but i think it would be interesting.

I dont tend to agree that sueing everyone for everything works or should be common practice but in this case if they have just ignored him then i can understand how frustrating it must be not to be taken seriously.

No doubt some people will strongly disagree but i dont think its as clear cut as some people are making out.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I think World of Warcraft has a 'color blind' mode. That seems like a nice amount of accomodation for some folks with visual impairments. People who are outright blind should realize that some products that are very visually oriented, like VIDEO games, just aren't a good match for them. Sony may not provide any help for color blind people, and so the color blind people should maybe just switch to WoW and not support Sony.

I really hope more companies make products usable by disabled people, but insisting that EVERY product must work well for EVERY human being is nonsense.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    They should sue Nascar for not letting him race. That's clearly discrimination against blind people.

Seriously though, how does a blind person play an MMO? Do they just constantly run into walls?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    He should feel fortunate that he doesn't have to actually look at Everquest.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    frubes wrote: »
    Actually i kind of agree with him. Not about the loosing money bit but about the accessibility of games for visually impaired people. A viable solution such as implementing sound features to aid people may well open up a new genre of sound based games. It might not sound (no pun intended) exciting to non impaired users but i think it would be interesting.

I dont tend to agree that sueing everyone for everything works or should be common practice but in this case if they have just ignored him then i can understand how frustrating it must be not to be taken seriously.

No doubt some people will strongly disagree but i dont think its as clear cut as some people are making out.

Strongly disagree.

Spending a hundred thousand dollars of production costs on a feature that will be used by less than 5 people sounds like a tremendous waste of money.

I'm not a business man, nor am I a programmer that can properly scope the development time needed to implement such a feature. But I'm pretty sure it's neither cheap nor free to do.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he sees blurry shapes but is classified as blind or as severely impaired vision. Which is different than being totally bat shit blind. I think it would be NICE if companies thought about severely impaired vision but I don't think anyone has a right to demand it like a wheelchair ramp on a public library...

Personally I think designers need to think about color blindness as it effects more people who would actually play. I think some do or at least the on the ball QA departments flag certain things based on common color blind colors.

I see this leading to a mandatory physical ability and coordination chart being added to boxes. A lot like the "caution hot coffee" label on "hot coffee".

In a twist of irony they won't mandate the font size...

Watch out Nintendo, I hear the sound of motorized wheel chairs rolling your way.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Strongly disagree.

Spending a hundred thousand dollars of production costs on a feature that will be used by less than 5 people sounds like a tremendous waste of money.

I'm not a business man, nor am I a programmer that can properly scope the development time needed to implement such a feature. But I'm pretty sure it's neither cheap nor free to do.

I should clarify, im not suggesting games companies should be forced to create games with disabled people in mind as ultimately it could prevent smaller companies from competing. However, it would be nice to see how the industry would handle such a genre.

Slightly off topic because its more ethics related but we shouldn't just cast people aside because it costs too much to incorporate them with the "mainstream".
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While this may seem rediculous, you have to understand that SOE has kind of brought this on themselves. They're a one hit wonder that has shaken off most all of their sensible gamers. Now they have to deal with this kind of stuff...

I know quite a few people that are at SOE or have worked there that I have nothing but respect for and are good friends of mine, but there's a lot of BS at that company too. This is karma.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    DKK wrote: »
    Rage!

haha.

yes...
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    First off, karma doesn't exist. (not to pick on you, crazy, you know i like you...but I just have to say it.) Being a bad company, or making bad decisions that cater to a specific fan base then having this fan base turn on you is one thing..but c'mon, don't get all spiritual on me

Anyways, this is complete garbage. Why doesn't he just go play WoW if it has a feature that caters to him? 'Shit, I know there's a ramp right over there and I'm in a wheelchair, but I'm going to go up these stairs, god damn it!' Seems a bit much.

I know this makes me sound like a total asshole, but man, I think you 'should' cast aside some people because it would cost too much to include them. It really REALLY sucks that this guy can't see or has bad sight...but if you spend money to make a feature just for that minority, then you should have to pay to have the technology to have ALL voice activated commands for people with no arms, Deaf people would need an on screen indicator to let them know when someone is sneaking up on them in CoD...I have bad knees, so the Wii balance board should come with braces...
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i'm a bit lost on the definition of "public accomodation" tbh

someone enlighten, please
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    frubes wrote: »
    Slightly off topic because its more ethics related but we shouldn't just cast people aside because it costs too much to incorporate them with the "mainstream".

Write these ethics in your business plan.

Bring it forth to a publisher (with the valid numbers from a reputable source) of target audience, and man hours spent on developing that feature, and what that financial gains will be due to the enlarged target base.

Lets see if our bottom line driven industry, has an ethical softspot for these frivolous types of expenditures.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    accessability is a pretty important part of visual design. and often when you approach design from that standpoint, you end up with a clearer to read, steamlined and efficient result.

I mean, really?

I know it's a different game :P.. but case in point
    255138205067WoWScrnShot_042906_053939.jpg

and for the sake of balance:
    http://www.physics.uc.edu/~pinskie/SoH/EQ2_000441.jpg
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Write these ethics in your business plan..

awww snap!

Serious though, this should be something that the industry looks at down the road. Valve has all ready accommodated for their deft audience and that's fantastic.

But making video games assessable to the blind? that to me seems like a whole different venture in itself.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I hear Metallica's next album is produced with the hearing impaired in mind. '...And Justice For All (REALLY this time.)'
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav wrote: »
    I hear Metallica's next album is produced with the hearing impaired in mind. '...And Justice For All (REALLY this time.)'
    63713939.VPwOC7GO.rimshot.gif
    badum-CHING
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the confusion, i didn't mean wishy washy spiritual Karma, i meant SOE is basically reaping what they've sewn.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    They're a one hit wonder that has shaken off most all of their sensible gamers.

ummm? what? everquest, ever quest 2, galaxies.vangaurd is still going. DC universe.

just cause they dont have all the advertising that blizzard has, and the same number of subscribers doesnt make them a one hit wonder.

but yes, visually impaired doesnt mean they cant see at all. most people that are classified as visually impaired still have some ability to see. just, darker, or blurred shapes, that sorda thing.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you have to understand that SOE has kind of brought this on themselves. They're a one hit wonder that has shaken off most all of their sensible gamers. Now they have to deal with this kind of stuff...

This is kind of asshole'ish sir.

Give credit where credit is due, John Smedley and Brad McQuaid created the modern MMO industry, period.

WoW would not exist without them.

---

My opinion on the visual impairment and its connection to games, is spend money on perfecting eye transplants, not only for those who become blind midlife, but those born blind.

Don't waste money on games, entertainment and media that only benefit someone with a disability.