Home General Discussion

No refunds or trade ins on PC games?!

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
Seriously when did this happen!? I can't return my PC copy of MW2 to the store I purchased it from (Fred Meyers) nor can I trade it in @ stores that accept trade-ins!!! WTF?!?

Replies

• katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Wait, there are still places that accept PC game returns/trade-ins? When the hell did /that/ happen?
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK wrote: »
    Wait, there are still places that accept PC game returns/trade-ins? When the hell did /that/ happen?

I was about to say, this happened a hellvua long time ago. Mainly anything with a CD key/Steam integration makes it automatically no go on the trade-in. Still find some places that will take it, right next to all the copies of Half-Life 2 that got traded in and once someone else picks it up it wont work.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    been this way for the past 5-6 years AFAIK.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    its a good thing imo, trade ins hurt the industry so the less you can trade in the better.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    because people buy pc games, copy the cd key, and then return it. its been like that forever.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    ebay...

When I was selling my copy of Bioshock on eBay, somebody sent me a message, saying how they'd bought a copy without a manual and therefore couldn't play it, so could they have my authorization code for free? :poly127:

Anyways, now that you have to take the shipping charges on the chin as a condition of listing and selling games & DVD's, it's barely worth it. I considered selling my copy of RE5 on eBay, until I saw brand-new, unopened copies going for £10. I don't need rid of it that badly.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    yo ebagg I live down the street, I'll take it off yah if you dont want it :D
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Try half price books. And if it wasn't for the secondary market, many old titles I would have not gotten to try if it wasn't for the trade market Muzz. There was no lost sale, as the sale already happened for that copy.

Unless you are going to go and say no trades for cds and such, you have no platform to stand on making our industry any different than theirs.

Now, if you had argued about direct download games, where there is no physical media.. that would be different.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I dont mind it for old titles, i mean sure ive picked up a few old rare jems, but for the most part people play a game, take it back a week later, and then the game shops have week old preowned games that they sell for $10 less than the full priced thing. Yeah sure there is no lost sale, but chances are that if that preowned copy didn't exist they would have another full sale.

There are benefits and losses to every system, but pre-owned games cause developers to lose out big time.

Id like o see you go to a used book store and pick up a new release book...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Muzz wrote: »
    Id like o see you go to a used book stoor and pick up a new release book...

Happens all the time. Books also have a longer shelf life at a set price than a game. I still believe your making an assumption about the amount of trade ins. Now, joe shmo coming in and wanting to play a game, but cant afford the full price sees the used. He wouldn't have been able to buy the new.

The only way your argument works, is when there would be a 1:1 of new and used copies readily available. Unless the game was such a POS that people returned them by the bucket load, this is HIGHLY unlikely.

Developers loose out more bigtime in rentals than secondary sales. Luckily PC development has no rental market. :)
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I remember buying Battlefield 2, and when I realised I didn't have a DVD drive for it, tried to take it back. Once the wrapper is off, thats it, especially with any MP game. So I went and bought a DVD drive and a new graphics card purely for BF2. It was nice.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Id like o see you go to a used book stoor and pick up a new release book...

hehe funny you mention that because the last book i bought was from a used book store, and the book had never been read/brand new...
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Walmart tried to stop me from returning a PC that had been opened so I claimed it was defective and exchanged it for a new copy. I then returned the new copy for the original refund.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I've had to do that before as well with a game that was broken. Bitch a little until they give you a trade for a new copy of the same game (most stores will do this). It's important you keep your receipt from the original purchase. Then go to a different store and return the unopened new one, using the receipt from the original.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Axios wrote: »
    Walmart tried to stop me from returning a PC that had been opened so I claimed it was defective and exchanged it for a new copy. I then returned the new copy for the original refund.

lol now thats called using your noggin! :D

Why Yep, been this way almost a decade...which is why I make sure that I want the game if I'm buying on PC. Why would you want to return MW2?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I was working tech support for Atari stores would send the customers back to the manufacture for refunds and replacements all the time. A few chains would even tell customers it was illegal to give an exchange or refund and they would have to take it up with us.
    "But the clerk said due to anti-piracy laws we would both go to jail if he gave me a refund"
    "I see. You talked to Eddie, at frys, in Hoboken
    ?"
    "yea how did you know?"

Their policies got worse and worse as time went (store and company) on and eventually ended up being: "have the customer send in the disc for testing, send it back saying it wasn't defective but they had damaged it in some way" Which actually was the case with most of the children software titles. "Are you aware that the disc was encased in peanut butter when we got it?"

At first they would exchange or replace even refund, but toward the end it was all asshole all the time.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I've never heard of PC trade-in's being allowed. It's always been that way, for at least the last 14 years (as far back as I would know). I guess it's a regional thing.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Axios wrote: »

Yea, tried that, but the store clerk OPENED THE SHRINK WRAP IN FRONT OF ME. Just to check if i had returned all of it, he checked mine versus the one he was giving me.

IMHO this is bullshit, making a store return policy where the customer is not allowed to return a product because he or she MIGHT have pirated it is ridiculous. I was surprised because last year I had purchased a copy of Windows Vista and was able to return it after it had been opened just fine to Office Max!
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    LoTekK wrote: »

The only game I ever traded in was Quake 4 three months after I bought it. Best 3 pounds I ever pocketed, the multiplayer sucked some serious ass.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ho ho ho, games still came on floppy discs when I first encountered the "no returns on opened PC games policy"
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Where do you live that pc games can be traded in? That's pretty bad unless they have the serial number already in them like with that have been out for a long time. I like that, I don't have to type in anything. :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    been like this since the invention of cd burners mate.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Being a manager of an electronics department, yeah it's been like this as long as I have worked there. It's the same policy for any pre-recorded media (music cds, movies, games, etc.) It's unfortunate that a few bad eggs that buy and copy ruin this for everyone because policies like this are their for a reason. We exchange defective software for the same title only but are required to open it before handing it over. The way I was trained is "It's a store, not a rental service." Then again I don't know anywhere that will deal with PC trade-ins except mom and pop stores or online.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    It makes sense to do it this way unfortuneately. Thats why I only buy games I know I want to keep. Often that means renting the console version first or downloading the demo. Sometimes though there isn't either, in which case I get the torrent, try it and then if its to my tastes buy it or just delete it. Sux but thats what we are forced to do these days. This policy encourages piracy but you can't blame the store, they have to make money off the product and returns that get resold only to be returned because the key is already in use mean loss of profit.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    There are a lot of people who would abuse the system of return PC games, even if you aren't one of them. It's honestly some much needed weight taken off PC game industry because it's already hurting so much from other aspects (online pirating, etc).
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    j_bradford wrote: »
    There are a lot of people who would abuse the system of return PC games, even if you aren't one of them. It's honestly some much needed weight taken off PC game industry because it's already hurting so much from other aspects (online pirating, etc).

I wonder how much of a dent that is, to the PC piracy industry, most PC game pirates are tech savvy enough to torrent the game and get a serial number, no two trips to the store required.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Doesn't this game tie into steam so the copy you returned is still tied to your steam account? So you effectively are returning an install disc and some packaging but not the actual game?

Or is the a game that doesn't get registered to Steam like that?
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its a good thing imo, trade ins hurt the industry so the less you can trade in the better.

explain:
    (first week of game being on sale)

customer1 pays 60 dollars new game
    store rev=60

brings back after beating it gets 25 dollars (or less)
    store rev=35

customer2 pays 55 dollars for used game
    store rev=90

brings back after beating it gets 20 (assuming next week or period for trade-in price drop)
    store rev=70

customer3 pays 55 dollars for used game
    store rev=125

(notice, used price doesn't necessarily adjust proportionately with trade-in value, this is key)

-Now, according to a small, privately owned retail game store i visit on occasion, they purchase new games at around 50 dollars, thats cost.

So we might assume that since gamestop buys in massive massive bulk these cost 30-40 dollars, maybe less.

---
    This is mainly from my experience at gamestop, so i cant vouch for other companies. But, if this wasn't profitable, they wouldn't be doing it.
    ---

Thus my peers, I conclude that not only do trade-ins help the industry, but not being able to trade in pc games does indeed hurt the industry.

Although there isnt a good remedy for not being able to trade in pc games as there is no copy protection within the disc drive (everyone has a different drive/hardware, or that at least is assumed) making the copying of a disc and managing to play it without it quite a bit easier than with a console (which typically requires far more investment: mod chips, swap discs, bios flashing)
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    explain:
    Thus my peers, I conclude that not only do trade-ins help the industry, but not being able to trade in pc games does indeed hurt the industry.

Trade-ins help Gamestop, not developers. Guess who cares more about the developer's revenue than Gamestop's revenue?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    what's really hurting the industry: those stupid gamestop commercials
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    Trade-ins help Gamestop, not developers. Guess who cares more about the developer's revenue than Gamestop's revenue?

At many stores, people cannot play, beat, and return games after breaking the seal on packaging. These people that plan to do this, (many people) may be discouraged to buy from places such as walmart, fred meyer etc because they cannot return the item (unless it is broken) for all their money, or even a portion. Although these people could resell the item on craigslist independant of where they bought the item, but it can be inconvenient and even dangerous. And Gamestop will give you 15-20 dollars for a new game trade in, where a pawn shop will give you 3 dollars (actual amount about 4 weeks after halo 3 was released)

Gamestop exists=helps the industry

Gamestop thrives=helps the industry
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Not to mention a huge amount of people trade in their old games in order to pay for brand new games!
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Ya know, I remember seeing a sign that said that in a toys r us once when I was buying a Sega Genesis game, so I'm kinda shocked that anyone today hadn't heard of this policy. It was the same with audio cd's too.

[RANT] I've been hearing a lot about how used game sales hurt the game industry lately, and I think it's just plain stupid. Besides the numbers that have already been given in this thread, the game industry made more than movies AND music last year, and that trend continues today. On the other hand, I have made very little money, and so have a crapton of others in this economy. So I can either not buy a game at all, or buy it at used game store.

I'm sick of some dev's and ignorant people trying to make people like me who don't make much at all, and can only afford the occasional used game, or even rarer new game, feel like shit for it. Trust me, if I could earn more money, I would. If I could afford new games, I'd buy them new. But I can't so I'm not gonna be made to feel like shit over it. [/RANT]
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Unless you have a package re sealer, there's now way heh heh.
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11

Every time you trade a PC game in, a game developer dies.

Think about that.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    used games, another layer of justified piracy.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Man, with all the respect I can muster, I must say that so many of the posts here sound so bigoted.

If I made an awesome game and I met somebody that bought it second hand it would go a little like this:

Me - "Oh you bought my game, what did you think of it?"
    Them - "It was great, I loved it, I'll totally buy the next one!"
    Me - "You bought it second hand though, why did you do that?"
    Them - "Because it was cheaper..."

Then I'd smack myself in the head and go "OH that's right, games are so expensive these days!"

On topic though, the whole no returns pc game thing has been that way for a long time and makes sense. It is just too easy to pirate and return. The retailer will want to re-sell the game you returned if the disc itself wasn't faulty and it will do no good to the next customer if their key was already taken.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    Doesn't this game tie into steam so the copy you returned is still tied to your steam account? So you effectively are returning an install disc and some packaging but not the actual game?

Or is the a game that doesn't get registered to Steam like that?

Yes you register the game to your steam account, if someone else tries to use the key it will get already registered and cancel the install (I tried to install on second pc for co-op play with the missus :P), wasn't surprised it didn't work but I had to try it.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    What i don't understand is why retail games are cheaper than the ones that are digitally distributed 90% of the time.

If you think about it with digital distribution you get no DVD, manual, case and if theres no DRM you are free to sell them on ebay or something similar, yet with digital distribution you nearly always pay more, you get no hardcopy, you have to download very large files that take alot of your monthly download limit and you can't sell the games because there most likly linked to your account.

I though digital distribution would make games cheaper?
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark wrote: »
    What i don't understand is why retail games are cheaper than the ones that are digitally distributed 90% of the time.

If you think about it with digital distribution you get no DVD, manual, case and if theres no DRM you are free to sell them on ebay or something similar, yet with digital distribution you nearly always pay more, you get no hardcopy, you have to download very large files that take alot of your monthly download limit and you can't sell the games because there most likly linked to your account.

DD is pretty much hamstrung by agreements to sell at MSRP so that brick and mortar stores can compete.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Ark wrote: »

I do give my hats off to Steam, I check the weekend deals every weekend because they have some insane deals, awhile back they had a L4D for $25, and more recently I purchased FEAR2 for $25, and Crysis Warhead for $15!
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not returning PC games has gone on for as long as I can remember...
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    I tried to return Day of The Tentacle to the local computer store

got punched in the face and dragged behind a car for two blocks- True story.

All i'm saying is.. if your gonna attempt to return pc games.. bring a hockey mask and a tire iron.

Anvils and maces work too
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    This just in... you can't return Music or Movies either (once they're opened) :P
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    notman wrote: »
    This just in... you can't return Music or Movies either (once they're opened) :P

ah but you can sell them to a second hand dealer (if the storefront has no trade schemes like gamestop for games.)