Home General Discussion

Microsoft drops the ban hammer

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=26029

Just saw this on gamasutra, any coincidence as mw2 is was just released?

Props to Microsoft for doing this, wonder how long they've known about these users with modded consoles.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, a fine move, I reckon.

There was a fairly hilarious interview with some gamer dude who got cut off on the BBC:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_10000000/newsid_10002900/10002915.stm

Silly guy.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    "He charged £75 to get it chipped but at the end of the day I said to myself I'll pay £75 to get it chipped, after two games I've paid the money back.

I've probably saved about £600 and I've copied roughly 30 or 40 games."

This is... tragic. "Saved"... "Paid back"...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wait, is there any uses for a modded console than piracy?
    For instance I modded my PAL ps2 to be able to play the (legit) japanese Third Strike disc. So what about imports on 360? As a matter of fact it's quite painful for DVD playback iirc - I dont think it plays zone2s...
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I like how the BBC guy tries to justify him getting his 360 chipped because it's too expensive for 16 year olds kids
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    baby needs his medicine
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I read about this earlier and just laughed.. there is no remorse..
  • Jon Rush
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    OMG how dare they prevent you from using that stolen content?! What a complete jackass. I don't think I've ever pirated a game.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Good riddance I say.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    @ Pior : If I remember well, there is no mod that can get the 360 zone free so the mod is intended for piracy (correct me if I'm wrong, my info could be really outdated)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Good riddance I say.

+1

they deserve it.

guess theres gonna be a few less people complaining about no dragon age coop. haha!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I thought there were some mods for allowing you to install non-MS overpriced hard drives. I could be wrong on that one though. I thought I had came across info like that in the past though.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Notman, there were, same for memory units. As soon as they found out how they were doing it they put a stop to it working in the next update.

oh and GRIN!!!! The more they do this the more i want to only make games for 360...
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    just watched the national, they reported to be passed the one million mark now.... But naw, its the pc pirates that are killing the industry, dont let this fool you.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats great. you wouldnt believe how many of these assholes were playing mw2 weeks before launch date.

and they had the nerve to shit talk the guys from the studio as we were owning their asses, hahaha.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Nah what's killing game studios is that they can't get investors. Investing in game companies has always been considered high risk. Since this economy blows "smart" investors don't invest in things that are high risk. The other problem is consoles are too good now and are cheaper than buying a new PC to run some game. The money isn't there which is the big issue, consoles are too damn good now, to bother about buying some PC game that might run on a computer. What's killing the console market is these ASSHOLES modding their console so they can rent a game and burn it, or go online to get a disk image to play it for free.

It does bother me than you can't play foreign games on your USA console for example, in this day an age the console should be able to play both formats, pal and ntsc. There are dvds players on the market that play both, and also the damn censorship that makes it impossible to buy foreign games is a bit BS. I think this type of censorship does encourage piracy. Of course I think this is a niche group of people that do it though, mod their console to play foreign games I mean, and it's not the norm.

Just read the article... I can't stop laughing!!! 40 to 60 games.... Thanks bud!!! O love that you love the Xbox live so freaking much. Prick.
  • Thegodzero
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    This may come back to bite them in the ass though. If there is such a large base of pirates, and this is focused on online play. One thing keeping legitimate purchasers happy is competition. So, it may reduce the competition, hence, the legitimate user not buying the title since he has no friends online to play against.

This also may make these pirates go to other consoles, so the user base is dropped as well for even buying the platform.

Yea, I know. Thats a big if. Just trying to give sorta a different POV on the piracy. (Note: I don't even own a console.)

Oh, and PC isnt dead. Consoles arent the future. It will be a mix of both. Just look at China.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It does bother me than you can't play foreign games on your USA console for example, in this day an age the console should be able to play both formats, pal and ntsc
    ps3 is completely region free, 360 sorta is since it's the publishers choice to region lock their game
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    That is hilarious news. Especially all the people whining about it. But I gotta wonder, will this start to impress on certain game companies, that the pc is NOT the only system that has pirates? I mean there's companies that have said "no more pc releases, the piracy is too much" Which is REALLY ignorant. Every console has piracy problems, it's just the way it is. So why punish the PC gamers who actually buy the games?

Meh, I could go on for a while on this, having been a PC gamer for a long time, but it's not gonna change a thing. I'm gonna go play my Left 4 Dead 2 demo....

Oh yeah, nice one MS! Spank 'em!!
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, I think they should have more control even. Why not shut down people's accounts for not buying enough games?
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I think piracy was a bit of a cop out on PC publishing/development. The trouble with PC is the same trouble with mobile.. you have n number of different configurations of PCs out there, how do you support that in the engine AND in tech support when shit breaks?

I'm not talking about nvidia vs ati either, since platform stability is all over the place when you swap in as much as a CD drive on the wrong IDE channel or something stupid like the CD drive doesn't like to be a slave to a hard drive and has to be on a separate channel. I've seen stupid crap like that cause problems from one PC to another.

For a console, you eliminate all those problems, it's a single unified platform, everyone gets the same specs to work with until the next generation comes.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »
    This also may make these pirates go to other consoles, so the user base is dropped as well for even buying the platform.

You say that like it's a loss...these people aren't buying games, they aren't supporting the platform, on top of that they are using pirated software which could easily include hacks if they really wanted I am sure. It's not like I will miss them playing.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if this will actuall make any difference though. my wife's uncle works with the FBI travelling to other contries and trying to bust up piracy rings. they collect thousands upon thousands of games, software, movies, etc and there's always thousands more around the corner.
    if anything this'll probably just slow em down until the next type of mod chip comes out for ms to try to detect.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    pior - IIRC a modded 360 can use regular hard drives, instead of paying a ridiculous $150 for 120gb.
    Though imo that's not worth being banned over, hah.
  • Krynn72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if all these people who say "good, they deserve it, those assholes!" have legit versions of 3dsmax, windows, maya, photoshop, zbrush etc. Would they be just as happy if their software/hardware got bricked?

Not condoning piracy of course, but I dont think bricking people's hardware is a legitimate reaction.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ms didn't brick their consoles though, they just banned them from live.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I can't remember exactly what it said but I saw the words 'banned' and I was gutted, completely gutted.

I cant stop loling at this
  • Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    >_<

*shakes head*

*walks away*
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's like telling someone their dog's just died. It was pretty much like that for me. I love it, I love playing Xbox live. I play with my mates all the time. It's just a good laugh, we all sit there chatting, playing games. Now I don't know what to do.

This part were simply hilarious..
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse wrote: »
    You say that like it's a loss...these people aren't buying games, they aren't supporting the platform, on top of that they are using pirated software which could easily include hacks if they really wanted I am sure. It's not like I will miss them playing.

I do, because in theory, it makes the console in question less viable for the producer. That, and it works directly into my original point of people having less competition online. So even legal people not picking up the platform or game because lack of competition with friends.

Again, its small potatoes, but it was just giving another POV.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Sure it's another POV but it's silly, no game's online community relies on pirates beefing up the competition. You will not hear anyone who legitimately plays these games online complain about not finding enough competition now that the pirates are out.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know but cmon, we do need some variety in here. ;')

DKK: Less sales of the platform itself. True, initial sales are in the negative. Later sales after the hardware has matured, become a positive since the cost to produce has come down. So the platform itself no longer being viable to the pirates, whom wouldn't buy the games anyways. Looses the sale to another.

So then you have a developer looking at sales figures for each platform. With the reduced sales of said platform, making it less likely to want to produce their game for that platform.

And again, you get back into the competition thing.

And like I said guys, this is just so we can have some potatoe/potato going on in here. :)

Besides, we all know the pirates will figure ways around this. So this ban is temp at best.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twF4Mt-q5jw[/ame]