[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX1VZ26nCAs[/ame]

Replies

• brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    The action looks pretty good, but they've really dropped the ball using that style of music in the trailer. Also, the tag line is really bad - titans will clash? Kinda like saying 'Transformers will transform'.

I'll check it out, but it won't feel like Clash. It'll be interesting to see the Kraken effects, and I wonder if Bubo the golden owl will make it. I heard the story is going to be very different from the original, too.
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Not feelin it, how many more classics do they have to butcher before the get the point. Wouldn't be surprised if Jason and the Argonauts were next.
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Ark wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if Jason and the Argonauts were next.

Well, it already got the TV movie treatment. Really, really bad. I think it had Jason London starring as Jason, and I kept thinking of him giving the stinkpalm to the game show host in Mallrats. Who would they get to play Jason in the big-screen adaptation? Michael Cera?
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    everything looks too clean. too 'omg the movies'.

could be fun, though!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Looks cool. CotT was a major classic of my childhood. Will be nice to see it brought up to day.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea looks really clean like sectaurs said. the rock music was annoying and kinda made it seem like a fan made trailer. also, a lot of the shots in that trailer remindd me of 300 mixed with hellboy/pans labyrinth. im definitely interested, love swords and sandals kinda movies but overall I think its gonna be a ZOMG CG monstaaaars movie. but hopefully itll be an awesome one.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    the music was terrible for this trailer. Did anyone actually watch the original, or did they just say "ooh, lets take 300 and add a little Michael Bay"

:(
  • easterislandnick
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Could be good. Dont be put off by the music in the trailer, the director and composer for the film rarely get to have a say in the trailer, they are usually cut together by a separate company which is why the music in trailers is often from a diferent film! At least that is what I am led to believe.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm getting a serious "300" vibe off of this trailer. And this is not a good thing. 300 was a nice little romp. But you can't emulate that style of cinematography for every action film. The hard metal soundtrack in a mythological setting needs to go. That crap is just annoying.

Am I the only one who thinks they are making the giant scorpions too big? The big-ass scorpions were one of my favorite parts of the original film. But these critters just seem over-the-top. How can any human being stand a chance against an arachnid that big, let alone three or four of them?

Clash of the Titans had its issues. It was not a perfect film by any stretch of the imagination. But I really don't think it needs a re-make. It is a cult classic in its own right, and one of my favorite films to showcase Ray Harryhausen's work. It could be fun to see it with modern graphics, but the shoes they are looking to fill are large. Nostalgia is going to work against them in this case, especially considering the style they seem to be going for.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I'm already sick of seeing "Sam Worthington"....

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Jeez, it's 300 all over again. Merde! The good thing is that it fed CG artists, i suppose.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    When 300 used NIN in their trailer, it was creative.

All these other movies just wants to be creative like 300.

:D
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    It sort of looked like the same couple of fight sequences over and over again. Would have been cool if there was some narration or something, some indication of a plot. Action is good but if I have to sit through a feature length film it better have a plot.
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I liked the music. It would be good to see a grecian epic with rock and roll music.

The trailer and effects did look pretty pompous, how big are they going to get. And I bet it wont have a sense of humour at all. No one can takes these sorts of things seriously. Tension and subtlety seem to be a lost art.

Why is it you can always tell the cgi sometimes from the way they shoot it? They always have an angle they would never normally use.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I bet they are trying to one-up 300 by filming the whole thing in a 5-foot by 8-foot closet with bluescreen.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    I was jsut coming here to post this ! hahah hell yeah movie looks awesome IMO

Im not really getting the 300 vibe but who cares 300 was kick ass and this movie will be too. hahha
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    It just seems like some action movie with the title Clash of the Titans. The tailor is horrible, that music was crap. This doesn't seem like a remake of Clash of the Titans.
  • fritz
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I hate to be the odd one out... but I had read Bullfinch's and Edith Hamilton's books, along with many other sources, by the time I first saw the original "Clash of the Titans"...

... And it drove me insane.

They got more mythology wrong in that movie than Braveheart got history wrong.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Clash of the Titans? Looks like 300 part two. I'll still check it out though.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Fucking hell..another piece of my childhood molested by hollywood
  • Dippndots
    gah i hope that the trailer was smoke and mirrors and the real movie is LOTR style, that would be such a relief.

tag line is retarded /agree

Guillermo del Toro should start suing people for stealing his monsters though

• Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar wrote: »
    They got more mythology wrong in that movie than Braveheart got history wrong.

Yes, yes. We all know the original Clash of the Titans was horribly inaccurate as far as classical mythology goes. There were three Gorgon sisters, not just Medusa. All the crap in the middle of the film with the princess was never a part of mythology. Perseus found the "princess" chained to a rock without ever meeting her first. I'm pretty sure the guy with the tail was entirely made up. Giant scorpions never show up in the original myth. Perseus doesn't have a winged horse, he's supposed to get winged boots that allow him to fly.

They took creative liberties with the original film. They picked and chose from various mythological tales. This is nothing new. It's par for the course on most Hollywood flicks.

But we're talking about the trailer for this new movie. And guess what! It looks like all the differences you seem to dislike are going to be maintained. I can count numerous plot points from the first film in the trailer. They aren't going back to the source material for this one.
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    TITANS .. WILL.. CLASH..
    GO.. GET.. FUCKED..
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    no no, that tag line holds the promise that in a film called "Clash of the Titans" a couple of Titans might actually get around to, y'know, clashing.

i dunno if you noticed, but in the original film, they didn't. Apart from that bit where the decapitated Medusa head stared out the Kraken ... but that's not really a clash is it ... it's more like shooting him a nasty look

btw, the idea that you can get mythology "wrong" is beyond my comprehension
  • catstyle
    wtf are you guys complaining about

this film

looks

SICK!
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    low odor wrote: »

so true.... so true :whyme:
  • Cyrael
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    @calabi - thats the major issue with CG is that a lot of cinematographers dont pay attention to what the shot would actually look like in real life and then they ask why it looks like CG.. well lets be honest some really GREAT CG shots could never be filmed in real life so its a two sided coin.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, yes. We all know the original Clash of the Titans was horribly inaccurate as far as classical mythology goes. There were three Gorgon sisters, not just Medusa. All the crap in the middle of the film with the princess was never a part of mythology. Perseus found the "princess" chained to a rock without ever meeting her first. I'm pretty sure the guy with the tail was entirely made up. Giant scorpions never show up in the original myth. Perseus doesn't have a winged horse, he's supposed to get winged boots that allow him to fly.
    To be fair, it'd be pretty tough to pull off Hermes' booties without it looking completely ridiculous. I mean seeing Sam Worthington zooming around like Astroboy would be pretty amusing, but I don't really blame them for giving Belerophon's pony to Perseus.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm reviving this thread since the movie just came out. I went and saw it today.

If you haven't seen it yet, then don't.

Just...really underwhelming. Ouch.
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    kain - i agree, good action/violence but a definatley "leave brain @ the door film" very underwhelming...

oh and the titans clashing - SPOILER
    err there is no actual dual titan on titan clashing like a godzilla movie....(or power rangers :P ) they are encountered separatley....and the action scenes w/the scorpions, wft? they severed no purpose but to intorduce the treebark man (sooo saren from mass effect face, who dies 20 mins later...
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I want to see this because it looks like Titan Quest: The Movie. Woo!

edit: or maybe I don't want to see it.
  • Sean VanGorder
    I agree with Richard, it was very disappointing.

Two hours of weak story and even weaker characters. Seriously, I watched every main character get their ass handed to them for the entire film.
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, entirely unsatisfying. That medusa fight was seriously underwhelming compared to the original. Also, did anyone else immediately think of the locusts from Gears of War when the Kraken showed up?

locustxy8oq4.jpg

I did find the handful of nods to the original kinda cute, though. Bubo made a little appearance (though it was pretty lame that it was literally a throwaway reference). Also, I could swear there were a couple of shots that had to have intentionally looked like bad bluescreen shots (there were a couple in particular during the kraken attack).
  • cw
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    hmm, I tried to be optimistic and enjoy the film, and for sure there were some nice epic things at times, but it all seemed for me a bit 'fast-forwardy' as if they were skipping along between action sequences with LOTR panning helicopter scenery shots.

I really tried to like it but about 2/3 of the way through I started to get annoyed. I think I did quite well.

It was more spelled out too, no mystery. Maybe that's just the modern way of film?

My gf liked it but she likes things like harry potter and has never really rinsed out the original time and time again like me and my brother have.

The worst thing (though it's hard to nail it down to just 1) for me was the silly one-liner esque bits of dialogue. Poxy. Reminded me of the bit in LOTR where aragorn says 'let's go hunt some orc' it just didnt fit my expectations. Damn expectations!

</rant>
  • Playdo
    I haven't seen it and don't intend to, not at the cinema anyway. The original, and Jason and the Argonauts, are some of my all time favourite movies. By watching the trailers I could see what they've done to it, and such a shame too as there was sooo much potential with this. I'd been hoping for a classic remake of this way before it was announced.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    low odor wrote: »

Have it this way, they did that so that the new generation
    of fags
    can enjoy it.

95% assumption that there is a game coming out right after which is going to be like God Of War.
  • indian_boy
    oh god this movie was terrible...
    i couldn't stop laughing at parts

and though i liked a lot of the artwork, somethings just looked / felt so terrible.
    worst thing in the movie was zeus' "costume"
    its like they realized it didnt look that great, so they put lens flares all over it.

note: i haven't seen the original, so i can't tell if i'm missing out on some fan service or anything
  • Nick Carver
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I thought it was just really mediocre. I don't hold the original up as a classic - there are some great moments but it's pretty slow - so I didn't feel offended by this redux. It wasn't as terrible as something like 2012 or as obnoxious and annoying as 300, it was just really generic and flat - blockbuster movie making by numbers. Structurally it felt like a lazy Fellowship of the Ring rip-off. And it was impossible to feel anything for any of the characters as they were all so underdeveloped and most of the actors were just turning up for a paycheck and the chance to wear some ridiculous costumes (I'm looking at you, Mr Neeson and Mr Fiennes). So yeah, pretty crappy but how could you expect anything else from a cynical Hollywoood remake?
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    It wasn't bad, but it was very "good enough". The writing was amazingly bad. The whole start of the film had some of the most badly written lines i have heard in a big budget movie out side of a 2012 esk film.

I have to wonder if the director cant tell the difference between accents, because he last time i checked they were all supposed to be Greeks.
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Giant monsters, cool cg, liam neeson as zeus.
    no complaints here.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as technical execution, the movie was fine. There were some very poor choices on camera angles, especially in some of the action sequences. But the special effects and their integration with the live action was quite acceptable.

The acting wasn't all that bad. The actors came in, and did what they could with what they had. It got a little hammy in some parts, but that brings us to the next aspect...

The writing in this movie, as well as the storyboarding and pacing, were all atrociously bland, to the point of being embarrassing at times. The author started off with this whole "Damn the gods" message. But he/she didn't hold strong with it. In the end Zeus is still the "good" god, Hades turns out to be the villain, and the Grecian status quo is restored. This wasn't just lightly touched upon, either. The characters harp on this issue a good 2/3 of the way through the film. The idiot protagonist gets a magic sword, and refuses to use it. Then later he decides that his strong moral stand on this issue isn't that important if it means he gets to win. Attempting to establish a theme for a film is commendable, but you have to stick with it.

The 1981 original had plenty of shortcomings. But in the end, it had far more soul than this modern interpretation. The actors at least delivered decent emotional tension. When you saw the Medusa scene in the original, it was edge-of-your-seat stuff. In this new version, the characters are all leaping about effortlessly, and their deaths are treated with far less weight. Even though the graphics and animations for that scene are far beyond what Ray Harryhausen was capable of, the spark just isn't there.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    As someone who's kind of irked by the lip-service mythology of God of War, I think I might just skip this one. It sounds pretty painful.

On that note, outside the two Harryhausen movies have there been any other decent attempts at putting classical mythology on film? I know there are a bazillion Italian Hercules movies out there, but I'm sceptical that any of them are actually worth seeing. I'd love a really authentic Greek mythological film. Followed by a good Norse one.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I want to see a movie about kidnapping, beastiality, incest, matricide, patricide, rape, women/men being seduced by animals, and my favorites: necrophilia and Roman Showers!!!
  • BHJ
    As someone who thoroughly enjoys shit movies with over-the-top CGI and bad acting... this is top of my list!
  • Taylor Hood
    We could watch this movie or we could all talk about God of War III and how awesome that game is -.-

I for one was interested in the movie simply because it was based around Greek Mythology but after seeing the trailer and how cheesey some parts look? No thanks.

PS. Liam Neeson as Zeus - lol.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Liam Neeson IS Zeus. Learn your history.

I thought it was amusing. I just wanted CG monsters to scream at me. I got that AND MOER.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I managed to catch this in 2d. The last 3d showing was sold out, and it was my only chance to see the movie. Overall I was underwhelmed. The blatant mocking of Bubo made me sad, since he was my favorite part of the original. Also, black pegasus? Wtf?

It was obvious in watching that this movie was made for 3D. Watching in 2D felt like watching fireworks on television - yeah, you see everything but its not all there. There were a few shots that were so hilariously useless and obviously 3d eye candy.

Sam Worthington can only play saviors now. Up next, Passion Of The Christ 2: Easter Ass Kickin' starring Sam Worthington and Natalie Portman.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i am wondering what people expected from this? the original was utter trash, by far the worst thing harryhausen ever worked on, and i dont mean his work, i mean it was just a shit movie. terrible acting, bad writing, the only thing redeeming about the original was ray's work, especially the Medusa scene, but really just youtube that and you wont be missing anything. i think the studio just waited long enough for people to forget how shitty this movie was to make a remake. i wish hollywood would actually do this more often, remake terrible movies and leave the good ones alone.