Home General Discussion

Wonder upon Wonders (free stuff)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
I have mentioned in the monitor thread that I have a pretty awesome photo monitor that displays beautiful color and dynamic range. The other day I noticed a thin red vertical line running down one side. I suspect all the cat fur and dander got into the monitor and futzed it up (we have a lot in our flat).

HP has a really good business warranty on their business class stuff, so I submitted a support claim with the serial number and description. Keep in mind I bought this in Iceland, but from an HP authorized dealer, and now live in Germany. I check my email the next day, expecting a question for my clarify, or maybe where to take it, but no, I have an email stating they are mailing me a replacement part already, and when it gets to my house via next day mail, they will then schedule a repairman.

The part arrives, and I'm expecting a new connector or something, but the package is large. What does it contain, but an entire NEW MONITOR. I am not even required to send back the defect one (which is usable, just annoying with the red line).

So now I have two 24" gorgeous high gamut photo editing monitors. A joyous day indeed.

Replies

• 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    keep sending in tickets. WALL OF MONITORS
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, good on HP. I'll definitely take a closer look at getting a monitor from them when time comes around to replace my older secondary monitor.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Nice one, seems i'll be buying HP in the future. :)
  • Dr Stench
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I already found HP to have quite some ownage products. Even the cheap 17 inch screen I own from HP is a very good quality screen. But now that I heard this wonderful anecdote about their customer service, I am almost sure to purchase my future HD LCD from HP.

but first: pix or didn't happen.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Be aware, HP has two divisions, consumer and business. It's only the business class stuff that carries this separate customer service.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was about to ask about that, I figured the consumer and business areas are separate. I've heard (and seen personally) some really terrible HP/Compaq customer service stories.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Gosh Benji...I know somebody who could use a free 2nd monitor... :poly142:
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I have 2 of those HP monitors. They're SUPER nice.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I thought I was going to be getting free stuff...dang.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    may your face melt raiders of the lost ark style you hippy ben!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I want 2 of those, but my thought is, people normally wont be looking at my stuff on a super special monitor, so if it looks good on my crappy monitor, it will look good on anyone else's crappy monitor.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I want 2 of those, but my thought is, people normally wont be looking at my stuff on a super special monitor, so if it looks good on my crappy monitor, it will look good on anyone else's crappy monitor.

I hear that question a lot, actually.

Yes, the average persons monitor won't be high gamut or dynamic range, and won't be calibrated, however they will all be relatively close to correct, but off in different ways. If you start at dead neutral colors, it will look ok on an overly warm OR overly cool monitor. However if you don't calibrate, or work with a proper monitor, you might be starting with overly cool and contrasty images, which will be that much more off to someone's monitor that is "off" in the opposite direction.

It's most important for print work, but it still applies to work that will only be viewed on normal screens. Put it this way, every time I view an image on my 13" macbook after having edited it on my photo monitor, it still looks how I wanted it, just some of the nuance is lost.

At the least it improves your own viewing pleasure and does nothing for the end user, but it has the possibility to provide the most neutral starting point to counteract all the various "off" user monitors.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Poop. You seem to be schooled up on monitor calibration. Maybe you could drop me a few lines of help?

I've recently calibrated my 2 HP's (with a Pantone Huey Pro), and whilst the colour is really fantastic, the colour looks off in window's default image viewer (reds go to browny oranges) as well as the same colour fudging happening when I open PSDs in Photoshop that have been created on someone else's machine. Photoshop does throw up a colourspace warning.

Is there any fix-all thing I can put into effect here, because I'm getting a little paranoid that some of the work I've made might be in "brown" mode rather than being all calibrated and ace?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you get the dialog in Photoshop, choose the middle option, "convert to color space...."

Windows default image viewer should be showing up correctly, but I use the Spyder software, and Windows Vista 64 bit, so ymmv.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my friend ordered £12 worth of components from Amazon, and a 32" high def tv turned up at his door...

some people have all the luck =[

i think poops argument about monitors works the same way as my audio monitors... a friend asked me why i play back any recorded music using these monitors, or why i spent £500 on a set of headphones, instead of just "his really good ipod headphones".
    the reason is, most speakers/headphones will have some sort of added bass/trebble modifiers to give a better "desired" sound, whereas my headphones and monitors give a completely flat, neutral sound. which means if it sounds fantastic on the monitors, it'll sound even more so on someone elses tweaked stuff.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you get the dialog in Photoshop, choose the middle option, "convert to color space...."

Windows default image viewer should be showing up correctly, but I use the Spyder software, and Windows Vista 64 bit, so ymmv.
    Hmmm. Maybe I should get myself a Spyder, then.

Cheers for the reply :)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, it's good to hear at least ONE of their divisions has good customer service. I had a crappy experience just asking to get drivers for my laptop. Hawken had even bigger issues trying to get his video card repaired on the exact same laptop. But, those were on the consumer level. Congrats on the 2 for 1 deal ;)

For me, I recently had the printhead crap out on my Kodak printer. Cleaning the head didn't seem to help, and I thought I'd have to buy a new printer. I love the quality on this printer, and I was disappointed to find out that this was a common problem with Kodak, and even the new printers were like this. I checked Kodak's site to find out how much a new printhead actually costs, and what do I see? All I needed to do was put in a serial number, and they would send a new printhead for free. It came within 2-3 days and it's back to printing glossy goodness :D (Not as good as getting a full device replaced though)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I wanna be a dick and say that it should be EXPECTED that a company with such shockingly bad quality checking should do this. Even though it seems like such a good deal I really dont think i'll ever use HP again. I've had 2 of their cheaper models and both were faulty - i just couldnt be bothered to send the 2nd one back as it would have been the 4th monitor to have been returned (Not just HP).

I think the next investment for me is a Calibrator, and then when id think about getting a Eizo/NEC Monitor... id rather buy into a brand name than get knocked off goods ;P