Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My First Character :)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Gardini polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys, I'm Game Designer from Brazil and this is my first character made in Zbrush.
I have not done the retopologya yet.
I am open to criticism and tips to improve my work.
Thank you.

Base mesh on XSI -> Sculping Zbrush 3.1
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2470/63779178.jpg
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3355/95382272.jpg
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5994/53418913.jpg
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2572/38713754.jpg
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8130/78709352.jpg

Replies

• achillesian
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    pretty cool. the hands seem a little unnatural. also, the belt and a few other detailed places look a bit underdetailed. don't be afraid of using zbrush's HD geometry for places like that. the detail you did just seems a little shallow.

but other than that, very nice.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Altair?

What exactly are you going for - a replica of the Altair presently in existance? Looks like you're going for a pretty identical style and pretty much everything.

If that's the case, I'd say go ahead and keep making it look like Altair. Don't really know what you're going for other than that.
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    very solid start for 1st model!keep going
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Wow, this is your first character!? Great job so far!! Can't wait to see your 4th character!!!
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek wrote: »
    pretty cool. the hands seem a little unnatural. also, the belt and a few other detailed places look a bit underdetailed. don't be afraid of using zbrush's HD geometry for places like that. the detail you did just seems a little shallow.

but other than that, very nice.

Hey tks so much for the comment, I never use Zbrush HD before to be honest!
    I see the that problem in the hands but I don't find the way to fix that yet...
    Thank you again :)
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen wrote: »
    Altair?

What exactly are you going for - a replica of the Altair presently in existance? Looks like you're going for a pretty identical style and pretty much everything.

If that's the case, I'd say go ahead and keep making it look like Altair. Don't really know what you're going for other than that.

Yes I got the assassins creed art book and i try to make the replica using the book concept.
    Thank so much for the comments :)
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman wrote: »
    very solid start for 1st model!keep going

Ohh thanks so much, I'm studing for the last 4 mounths to try my first "full completed" character
    Thanks for the comment :)
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix wrote: »
    Wow, this is your first character!? Great job so far!! Can't wait to see your 4th character!!!

Yes it's my first one, Thanks so much, I will try more and more harder :))
    Thanks so much for the comment :)

Someone can teach me how use the multiple quote ? I click on the botton but nothing happens :P
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I would say, dont stop there. You have the sculpting done, and it feels very rewarding ... but it really is only 30% of the way. Try your hand at making a good ingame mesh, bake all that, texture it, port it to an engine or a decent previewer ... you will get a much better feel for game stuff.

First sculpt yes, first game character not yet :P

Good luck!

(By the way! It seems like you picked up XSI fast, do you know any places you would recommend for learning it quick and fast ? I know exactly what I want to achieve with it ... but dont find the time to trim down the fat from the mass of game-irrelevant tutorials out there! Thanks if you can help!)
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    I would say, dont stop there. You have the sculpting done, and it feels very rewarding ... but it really is only 30% of the way. Try your hand at making a good ingame mesh, bake all that, texture it, port it to an engine or a decent previewer ... you will get a much better feel for game stuff.

First sculpt yes, first game character not yet :P

Good luck!

(By the way! It seems like you picked up XSI fast, do you know any places you would recommend for learning it quick and fast ? I know exactly what I want to achieve with it ... but dont find the time to trim down the fat from the mass of game-irrelevant tutorials out there! Thanks if you can help!)

Hey Pior, I'm completed agree :D
    I will not stop!!!! o/

To be honest Vitality Bulgarov " taught me" how modeling on XSI

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/544/Character-Design-and-Modeling-for-Next-Gen-Games

I'm great fan of his work....so
    I saw this dvd 10x, sometimes in "slow motion"
    all the "personal configurations" and "key binds" I use all the same of him
    I don't know much XSI, I know modeling... and a little of render.
    Here in brazil there is some schools of CG but all them are too expensive to pay.
    I don't have much learn options ...I think that DVD show the " huge " part of modeling.
    This DVD really help-me! realy

Someday I will work on blizzard
    and I can personally thank him for the Dvd.
    That is not "Fan boy dream " this is a professional goal.

Thanks for the comment :):thumbup:
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    About the Re-topology, have you tried this method:
    http://cryrid.com/art/?p=60
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I don't mean to poke fun at people who aren't native english speakers, but this has a very zen poetic ring to it. Like a haiku.
    People there any right way to do retopology?
    I feel a painful process.

I think everyone has felt that with retopology :(
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian wrote: »
    I don't mean to poke fun at people who aren't native english speakers, but this has a very zen poetic ring to it. Like a haiku.

I think everyone has felt that with retopology :(

sorry :|
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yup that DVD is very good and VB is a great guy!
    You've got a superb attitude man, congrats!
    As a word of advice, maybe before going straight to learning retopo you could spend some time doing some simple lowpoly modelling (not basemesh oriented, just plain oldschool meshes) to get a better feeling on how to achieve different kind of 'meshflows'

good luck!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someday I will work on blizzard
    and I can personally thank him for the Dvd.
    That is not "Fan boy dream " this is a professional goal.

i like your confidence and determination! nice work on this for a first model for sure.

As for the retopo stuff if you find yourself having trouble in XSI it is possible to do it in Zbrush as well, tho im sure XSI's tools are much more painless. Also pay more careful attention to the edgeflow in your remesh in the face area especially, a good topology there will lower your poly count in the finished low mesh, and also make for cleaner bakes.

-Woog