Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Anyone using the UT3 engine should grab the UDK!

polycounter lvl 10

Replies

• jocose
  • gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    FYI - You can simply import all of your UT3 packages and maps and start working. No comparability issues thus far, though post process seems to be broken ;(
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Mentioned this during Dom War, but one thing that will help final presentations is how you capture your final image from the engine.

enter 'tiledshot #' in the console for your final renders/images - it will take a screenshot of the viewport of #*viewport size. For example if the game/PIE is 800x600, and you type "tiledshot 4" you will get a 3600x2400 screenshot saved. It stitches everything together for you!

You could go balls out and "tiledshot 16" and get a MASSIVE image (not really recommended.. heh), and then scale it down to your target size for presentation.
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    That and you may require some additonal tweaks on your lights. Same file. Just opened in the two different clients.

oldnewunreal.jpg
  • gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone noticing an issue w/ post process? I can't seem to get it to work!
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Notorious,

How did you open up your Unearthly scene into UDK? I tried just going into my ut3 folder and clicking on my unearthly challange but it crashes for me?
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Gamedev. PIGGY TO THE RESCUE! Click G. ;) Hide the gizmos. It will pop right up.

Ae. Open your package first, then open your level. That's how I did it at least.
  • gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    AE - you may need to move your content under the UDK directory.

Pig - you f'n rock! Why would they change that?!?
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    thanks guys :) worked but seeing as how the lighting is so wonky in the new version and the post effects dont seem to be working im gonna stick with the UT3 version for my entry this year.
  • turpedo
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    yessss I was upset when my UDK kept crashing when I tried to open my old packages. I'll try moving them into the directory, thanks!
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    thanks a lot crazyfingers!!

I'll try if GI will work for me :P
  • EzMeow
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Well I hope that you'll get more success than me :p. I've done some test which was interesting but too far from what I reach as visual mood, so I guess I'm gonna stick to the old version as many ~
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Did some toying with it, it's a nice upgrade, but i may end up sticking with the original engine myself, got over 2 weeks worth of minor tweaks that seem to be lost in translation.

I do have a lighting test going right now, removed the majority of lighting and want to see how a global illumination goes. If it's promising i'll stick with it. But with only 2 weeks to go we can't be gambling too much on something like lighting. Woulda been great to have had this at the start of the competition though, always next time :)
  • Chrisis
    Offline / Send Message
    Chrisis polycounter lvl 10
    I still can't believe the sdk has been released on the loose :poly121:

If anyone is having troubles such as constant crashing/ not working try installing the latest DrectX redistributable.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=04ac064b-00d1-474e-b7b1-442d8712d553

Helped me :)
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some toying with it, it's a nice upgrade, but i may end up sticking with the original engine myself, got over 2 weeks worth of minor tweaks that seem to be lost in translation.

I do have a lighting test going right now, removed the majority of lighting and want to see how a global illumination goes. If it's promising i'll stick with it. But with only 2 weeks to go we can't be gambling too much on something like lighting. Woulda been great to have had this at the start of the competition though, always next time :)
    Tell us your results man :)
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    Hate to say it, but i couldn't notice a difference with the new lighting, not for the better anyway. I think it has to do with our scene being largely outdoor and not having many objects of differing colors close together to make the lighting really sing in a global illumination setup, and maybe that i'm a noob with the new engine :). I might give the UDK another go once the final setups are done, maybe at the very least our tight shot within the city will look better with global Illumination, we'll see.

On top of that there's just lots of small things were slightly off. Colors, transparencies, couldn't figure out how to easily select alphas with transparencies on 'em for some reason, so going to go back to the old one. Had UDK come out a few weeks earlier this'd be totally geared up and ready to go in the new engine, but even with all its faults (slower lighting times) I think it's best we stick with the current setup and not chance rearranging things for the new one, just not enough time left in the competition. Definitely looking forward to using the UDK in future projects though.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Selecting alphas is in View> Allow Translucent Selection
  • gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    We got our scene all moved over last night and our lighting converted. Slower bake times yes, though there is a lot you can do to speed that up.

As for the lighting not looking any different - if this is the first time you've worked w/ a GI solution there is a good bit to learn and quite a few knobs to crank to get what you're after. The key w/ anything like this however is to have a strong idea of what you're after and then adjust one value at a time and work towards that idea.

Maybe after the contest I'll have some time to put together some tuts on getting good results w/ Lightmass. We currently use Beast as our Unreal GI solution at work and a lot of my experience with that has translated.

Good luck everyone!
  • Snight
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Lightmass > Beast. oh my.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    That'd be great gamedev, in the meantime i'm sure a beginner lightmass tutorial is bound to pop up somewhere, i'll post 'em if i find any.
  • Mazvix
    Thanks for posting this, but after DLing it and trying to open .exe it says file is corrupt :-P talk about bad timing haha. I agree with everyone I will not take chances during the contest.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    Big thanks to hourences for this, he actually posted his tutorial in the technical talk forums here:
    http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3lightmass.htm

He's also got some other really good tutorials you guys should check out if you haven't already!

Also gonna say i've changed my mind, got back into the new editor and i'm redoing our lighting, an hour in and i'm glad I did. If you've got a multi-core processor you really should, it makes light bakes super fast. Not to mention the preview lighting in the viewport before bakes is heads and shoulders better, making tweaking the lighting much easier and productive. There's just lots of little things that are better, i highly recommend at least giving it a go. And in the end once everything's in place if you feel gutsy you've got the new fancy lighting stuff to try out, which takes damn near forever.

Strip your lighting, start from scratch, and don't jump right into the new lighting stuff, it's going to put you off. Get your new light setup going, and enjoy the new bake speeds, that's my advice for anyone giving this new editor a go :)
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »
    Mentioned this during Dom War, but one thing that will help final presentations is how you capture your final image from the engine.

enter 'tiledshot #' in the console for your final renders/images - it will take a screenshot of the viewport of #*viewport size. For example if the game/PIE is 800x600, and you type "tiledshot 4" you will get a 3600x2400 screenshot saved. It stitches everything together for you!

You could go balls out and "tiledshot 16" and get a MASSIVE image (not really recommended.. heh), and then scale it down to your target size for presentation.

Do u mean when u play the game in the editor? Or u can do it without playing in the editor?
    If yes, where do u get console in the editor?

• EzMeow
    Offline / Send Message
    Another question which can seems stupid but...anyone know how to remove the display of the origin axis (the one in the bottom left corner and all the info written on the screen to make a clean screenshot?
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, and one more thing :P

I've copied my .ut3 scene to the Maps folder of UDK. when i click Open the .ut3 is not among supported formats.

If I use Import to bring .ut3 in it will crash :(

Even if i load the appropriate package (which loads correctly though), the actual .ut3 map does not open.

Dunno if some of u guys knows why...
  • EzMeow
    Offline / Send Message
    If i remember, I've only switch the all files *.* instead of map files *.udk, then simply open my .ut3 and it worked... but it half worked for a friend where the process killed his lights or so on the way.
  • gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    Try entering game mode (press G).
  • gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, and one more thing :P

I've copied my .ut3 scene to the Maps folder of UDK. when i click Open the .ut3 is not among supported formats.

If I use Import to bring .ut3 in it will crash :(

Even if i load the appropriate package (which loads correctly though), the actual .ut3 map does not open.

Dunno if some of u guys knows why...

Change the file type filter on the open dialog to "*all files" and then select the .ut3 file for open.
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, that worked :)

even kept my light actors :P

Not sure though if i'll use this for this time. Probably will prefer to start a new project using UDK right from the beginning
  • Explosivo!
    Careful when using the UDK, We ran into a serious problems after building up the lights in our scene. After we got some cool lights set up and built the lights a few times it started throwing big green and purple blobs everywhere. The newest udk file download says it fixed this issue for windows XP, but I just installed it and the green blobs are now bright red blobs.

Anyone ones else ran across this?

4107816107_038ee7abea_b.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    Quite a few times, some things i've done to fix the issue when it popped up:
    Turned shadows off of 2d plane objects like your projectiles
    Pull lights away from point blank range of objects, this seems to be a major factor from my experience
    If all else fails, try rebooting your system or opening a slightly older version of your scene before the lighting got borked.
    Hope that helps.

Worse comes to worse just turn off light mass and you wont have that issue any more.
  • Explosivo!
    When you say turn off lightmass, do you mean turn off global illumination? I don't see a place to turn off lightmass.

thanks for your help.

In the meantime i can work on my girlfriends computer, she has Vista installed!
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    when you click the bake lighting button, there should be a box at the bottem that says "light mass" just uncheck that. If you're using the build all button, try just doing the lighting button so you can disable light mass.
  • Snight
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    In the lighting build options (the dialog box that pops up after you click the build lighting button) uncheck "use lightmass".
  • Envelope
    In the world properties you can turn off lightmass.
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you guys noticed that you loose your DOF if you do a tiledshot?
  • Envelope
    I'm assuming that some of the screen space effects will be disabled when using tiled shot. It is literally tiling shots and piecing them back together in the end.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    Could be that it's not disabled, simply reduced because of the new resolution. You might try upping it up a large bit and see if you get a better effect.

Glad you brought this up because my team's going to be setting up our final shots in the near future and we'll have to take this into account.
  • gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    The images are being tiled yes, but there is also some bleed between them to address full screen effects like this. So, when you do your shot, using the Tiledshot command, you can specify more padding by adding a second parameter. So something like this:

Tiledshot 4 128

By default, it uses a padding of 64.
  • Picklock
    yes yes, i started using UDK about a week ago for this comp... its hella fun but a total pain in the arse at the same time haha >_<
  • Mazvix
    I dl'ed UDKInstall-2009-11-BETA-2.exe

but whenever I click it, it says File is corrupt-re download. I have done the redownloading twice so far...what is going on?