Home Technical Talk

Max 10 SubD error?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
waedoe polycounter lvl 8
So im modelling my acog, for a project im doing, and ive noticed that edges that once flowed smoothly are now making hard edges. i did use a boolean tool to cut an out line but it only cut the faces and it wasnt in the same area that im having the turbosmooth problem. ill explain it better with these pictures.

right here is my mesh low poly

qysntf.jpg
bfjpxs.jpg
e8wcr6.jpg
bf5b0n.jpg
287ki9x.jpg

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    could I see the original low poly obj? The edge flow on the last pic is all messed up.
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    http://www.2shared.com/file/8942469/480ef93d/rco.html

theres the .obj

by the way i have tried breaking the verts, seperating the edges and re welding them and that doesnt help the problem. only when your Control + backspace a edge then re cut it does it begin to resmooth instead of being a hard edge.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    your pics are hard to read because you doodled over the parts that matter -_-
    Make sure you have all verts welded that are supposed to be welded. Also make sure that your normals are unified.
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    renderhjs wrote: »
    your pics are hard to read because you doodled over the parts that matter -_-
    Make sure you have all verts welded that are supposed to be welded. Also make sure that your normals are unified.

unified?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    there is a modifier "unify normals" which makes sure that all normals are somehow directed in the same direction.
  • Dan K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan K null
    I've seen this same problem but with Max 2008 running on vista on my friends computer. Unfortunately, neither of us could either figure it out or solve the problem. We checked everything, including the edge crease option and the verts not being split and couldn't come up with a reason why some of the edges would just turn hard all of a sudden.

So if anyone does have an answer, it'd be good to know :)
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    on in max i went to modify> normal then check unify normal and collapsed, no change : (
  • MatthewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll look into it.

Wait >.>

This what u were going for?

Untitled-1.jpg
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    waedoe wrote: »
    on in max i went to modify> normal then check unify normal and collapsed, no change : (

yes perfectly smoothed how did you do that?
  • MatthewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I imported your model, applied an edit poly modifier, and applied a turbo smooth and it came out just fine... Have you tried re-importing that .obj instead of using your saved mesh? A lot of times when this kind of thing happens with Max, I found that the mesh is corrupt somewhere and exporting it fixes the problem somehow >.>

Other times you just have to restart Max...

So, if you haven't, try importing your .obj and working with it instead. If that doesn't work, then it might just be faster to restart the model.

I will toy around with the mesh and see if I can break it. :D
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    I put a > STL check modifier on it and that corrected the errors too. try it but thanks for the import tip too!
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    tools->snapshot halps me get around myriad strange max-breaking-mesh problems. Could be a bug, could be something else, but in production environment I tend to only consider the source of the problem for a few minutes before diving straight for the snapshot fix. Usually does the trick.

If you have a good repro for this (going from a good mesh to one with the problem in repeatable steps) I would be happy to take a look at what's going on with the mesh and try to shed some light on it. (often a few maxscripts to output normals etc. into text files can show some slightly wierd things going on!)
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    what exactly does snap shot do?