Railpistol3.jpg
Railpistol5.jpg
Bakingsetup.jpg

Replies

• swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    This is cool, can you show the ammo? If I saw the ammo, I'd be even more drawn into it as a piece. I like the simple design, and how it isn't detail overkill.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13

sorry didnt create the ammo yet just the magazine and the pistol itself so far:(
    should be small metal bolts like in the concept though
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Looks quite good. I especially like the rails and their material.

What I don't like is the first person view of the gun. From that perpsektive doesn't look very interesting. You could have added some details to the backside, like an Ammo-counter or somo kind of led-display indicating the weapons status.
    The concept only gives information about the front and side of the gun, so I think it is up to the modeler to come up with something.

You are missing the slots on the handle. They give a nice detail in the concept.

Besides the drawbacks I mentioned the gun seems nice, althouh I think that the Concept looks cooler than the 3d version of it. Although I don't know why the model can't fully keep up with the concept. maybe someone else has an idea.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I love it. I also love that artist, thanks for showing him :)

I would change some things though. I'd take more liberties with the concept of the gun. For example. the back and top of the gun (all things the player would be looking at if it were an FPS) are very boring. I'd add something to them. I understand that that's the guns design, but I'd just add some visual interest.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks both of you.

I am aware of the fact that there could've been done more detail to the back but my time is quite limited atm :(

Anyway I am glad you like the rest of it^^

Here are the maps pretty poor quality cause photobucket would resize them if they get to large :/

maps-6.jpg
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    nice job! i really like the simple design and u did a good job with the textures also ;o
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    looks like a staple gun to me. nice work though
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Hey buddy. Challenge your self a little more. This looks OK. Nice execution. How ever this would never be in a game known to man. 2048 on 800 triangles? For a pistol? Not gonna happen. Put a 512 on this, what does it looks like? You wont read that tiny text even for an FPS view. Now if this isn't for a game, and just for fun, then it looks cool man :)
  • arrangemonk
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    I think it looks pretty sharp. I like that you didn't go overboard on detail, that's refreshing these days.

However, I agree with an earlier poster that the back of the barrel just kills me with that flat edge. I did a super quick paint over to show you one way that I think would quickly and easily improve the piece.

Take it with a grain of salt, I know you said time is tight and it looks good as is.

(also forgive the horrible spacing/perspective)

railgunPO.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Razorb: Thanks :D

Orgoth02/ Arrangemonk: Everybody and their staplegun comparisons T_T

j/k xD yeah that rail maybe the reason I guess

Cojax: Thanks! Ah yes, I do this stuff just for fun and I figured that I can scale the texture down afterwards but not up again without loosing quality. As there is no pressure for me since it's just a hobby I'll do nearly everything on 2048 (and for the texturing practice)

jakelear: I somehow like that idea... looks like a battery or something :O
  • Joe Lemonade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe Lemonade polycounter lvl 8
    Great work. Looks nice. Where are the batteries for the magnetic pulse? In the grip? Maybe for weight-balancing reasons it would be more clever to put the magazine into the grip so the weight change when the magazine empties doesn't influence the way you have to aim the gun. But of course thats just my thoughts about plausibility of a sci-fi asset and has nothing to do with the great quality of the mesh and textures :-D
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Great work dude, I like the design but I think its lacking some details to make the design really sell. it pretty much what everyone is saying, "challange urself a little more". Th handle looks pretty simple too, maybe trow some material on it?
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really love this HAL great effort! I really love that artist's gun concepts ... oh yes :poly124:

I dunno... the FPS view to me looks FRESH! The concepts of weapons he has are all minimal... simple... functional... yet beautiful and cool.

THAT is the sellling point.

I personally like it that you didn't take it further and stayed on concept.

IF you start adding LED counter etc to a concept that is ALL about minimal... maybe some etches, simple stuff.... or it's also just going to make the gun seem like every other gun, because it's formulaic to add an LED counter (Aliens to Halo to this...).

Jakeleer... surely having an bid LED next to something you aim down using LEDs is a BAD idea? Just a thought.

Red dot at end of barrel to line up with 2 green dots and some simple etching like the rest of the gun would be best in my opinion (looks ace as is in my opinion).

In this case here.... adding a functional element (ammo count) is getting away from what is actually cool about the design... see? Or am I wrong.

I'll get me coat... :poly136:
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also the reload animation due to where the ammo mag is will make for an interesting FPS event... which balances the simplicity of design?
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Thank you.

Regarding the reload animation I thought of something like slideing it out in the front with a hand gesture...

I'll start the animations soon, probably update this here once I'm done with the source stuff and got everything working ingame.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    No real crits on the model itself (mainly because it's so dark), try changing the background colour in the model viewer to something a little lighter to see the forms of the model and it'll contrast nicer against a neutral grey.

Keep it up.