Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arrow Tower

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
Hey all! Long time since I've done any personal projects. My brother (Keen) made me a concept for a side project I'm working on and now I'm gonna model it. I want to set this guy up for Z-Brush and sculpt in some wood grains and metal scuffs etc. and I have no idea how it's going to go (I have very very limited knowledge in Zbrush) So Im gonna document my adventure here. Any help from you guys would be awesome. Heres the concept.

arrowtower.jpg

and here's the start of setting up a base mesh. (I took some creative liberties)

towerWIP2.jpg

wires

towerWires.jpg

Again, I have very limited knowledge of high poly modelling and creating base meshes. I am going to even up the poly distribution before putting it into Z-brush and try to get rid of all triangles etc. But any glaring errors you guys see let me know! thanks

Replies

• raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good to me, but it seems like your not showing the full wires for the mesh...I know in blender you have to change the settings in order to do it. Give that a try and repost so people can better evaluate ur poly distribution.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    lol I need to make something exactly like that for a game prototype.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    thats a pretty cool ballista there.
  • KazuyaMochu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I smell tower defence!
    it looks pretty good I must say. I like the concept alot! well done
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the kind words guys!

Raiskul: I'm actually using Max. I think the reason you think there is missing wires is because I have a few N-Gons in there I hadn't taken care of yet.

So here's the finished base mesh that I plan to take into Z-Brush. (I plan on exporting it in pieces and putting them in layers in Z-Brush) Which I have no idea how to do yet! So let me know what you think of the base mesh and whether this was a smart way to go about it.

TowerBaseWire.jpg

And here's what it looks like with turbosmooth on it with 3 iterations. SO I'm assuming it will subdivide nicely in Z-Brush.

TowerBaseTS.jpg

Any tips tricks or crits would be appreciated!
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe I bet it was the black wireframe that said "blender"- it always does to me :)

you don't use layers in ZB as you describe- you want to export as different subtools and append them together- layers in ZB is for layering sculptural details and poses (like blendshapes), not differing pieces. Just export each piece you want to have separate as an OBJ, then import them one by one and choose subtool-- append to bring them together. If you place UVs in different quadrants f UV space on a single obj, then ZB can turn these into separate polygroups for selecting. You don't need a proper unwrap, just project messy ol' camera based UVs and shove them into a quadrant, and this part of your mesh is separated :)

Hope that'll be of some use!

~P~