Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High Poly Chainsaw

Goat Justice
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
Like the thread title says its a high poly chainsaw...

I wanted to get in some practice working with high poly hard surface stuff, and this seemed like as good a subject as any. Everything was done in Max with the turbosmooth modifier. I'm pretty satisfied with the model at this point. Comments and critique are welcome, though.

chainsaw_01.jpg
chainsaw_02.jpg
chainsaw_03.jpg

Replies

• Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    looks pretty cool
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work. I always thought the teeth were closer together on most chainsaws, but then again, I don't have much cause to use one. At least, not until the zombie apocalypse....

Did you model from reference, or is a composite model from several types of saw? It'd be useful to see your reference, is you used any.

Good job.
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the high poly looks really good!

The blade it self looks a bit short imo but then again it could be one of those tiny hand held ones.

Good job in any case!
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words everyone.

@danshewan

Good point about the teeth. A lot of my reference had them spaced out like the model, but now that I've done another google search there are definitely some cooler chain patterns out there. I think I'll try one of them and see if it improves things. Also looks like the links of my chain may be a bit over sized. Most of the model is based on husqvarna brand chainsaws (image at the end of the post). I did merge in features from other types and even make stuff up to fill in places where the reference saw got boring. No major changes just added detail and minor exaggerations to make it more interesting.

@Killaball

I think my reference is probably one of the short bladed ones. Also, I altered height and curvature of the blade just a bit to play up its shape. I like how it fits the space of the render at present, but I'll see what I think of a longer blade when I work on the chain.

husq_359-212.jpg
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    nice! is this from the challange section? Great work on your High. The teeth do seem a little sytlized to me, but I like that.

Now bake that good shit out!!!
  • Pearson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, very nice job! A subject I haven't seen a lot of, too. Always nice to see something fresh. :)
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had some time this evening to try out a new chain design. Its a bit more balanced now, and I was able to keep the slightly over sized links. I've noticed a few more details I want to touch up over the weekend. Getting close though.

chainsaw_01_NB.jpgchainsaw_02_NB.jpgchainsaw_03_NB.jpg
  • Szark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Szark polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work. Are you planning on baking this down and texturing it?
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I think the teeth look way better now. Like I said, I don't know much about chainsaws, but this is how I'd expect one to look, and with more teeth it looks much meaner. Nice work.