Home General Discussion

This is probably a bunch of emo shit but,

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
Do you ever feel as though everything is meaningless?
I can't exactly put a finger on why I feel this way, but I have been for the last 3 or so years, on and off. I dunno if it's common, or if any of you feel that way, but I guess really i'm just looking for words of wisdom or what not.
(Not like that shit they have all over the place in speeches and books D:)

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yep, that's emo shit.

All you can do is keep moving forward while doing what you love.
  • CrazyMatt
    Sounds to me like you need to stop "Thinking" and start "Living". :)
  • MALicivs
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Being someone whose whole existence depends on a small vial of medically produced fluids and occasionally experiences severe episodes of depression, I can definitely say I've pondered such things before.

Best answer I can come up with is that you've gotta find your own meaning in life. Find something you can do, whether you enjoy doing it or not, and do it.

Don't live life knowing you're gonna die in the end, cause that's a given. Just be glad that 'the end' isn't now. :)
  • Carbon14
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
    Probably comes with intelligence and thinking about things a bit much. I mean obviously looking at the scale of the universe and your time on this planet your life is totally meaningless. However since you are alive and you must enjoy some things you just have to make your own life worth living. Live for the moment more I guess?
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    if you don't already, try exercising at least every other day. It's like anti-depressants.
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    If I ever get in that state, I change perspective. I'm not a person, I'm a single cell in the organism called "Humanity", and it's steadily growing, gaining knowledge, etc. As long as I have in some tiny way contributed to that, I'm good.

Then there's always the Babylon 5 quote, which went something like "We are the universe, trying to understand itself."
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    As another like Flaagan. Its not fun when it hits. As people here can attest to when in the past I refused the lil "happy" pills.

Anyhow, this might put things in perspective (see the film if you haven't)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk[/ame]
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    yes. Its pointless.
    No. It doesn't matter that it is pointless.

It just is.

You can either spend your time being mopey about the pointlessness of it all,
    or
    You can have fun with the time you've got.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Before you go thinking your life has meaning or is important, have a look at this
    http://www.jointquest.com/jointquest-old/NationalGeographicTheUniverseMap.jpg
    Understand that scope alone is beyond your mind's ability to reason.

If stuff like that gets you down, consider ants will never conceive the scale of your reality and go step on an ant hill.

whee!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BjHvwSvpOw[/ame]
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Whenever that kind of state of mind hits (and that can be pretty often especially if you are in a situation where you can think of things deeply without being disturbed...) I like to think about Planck time. Knowing that we are all completely mind boggled by it somehow makes me feel more connected to everything/everybody else. Like, instead of arguing who knows what, which answer is right or wrong, meaning versus no meaning... we can all agree that we are all clueless about one fundamental thing, no likely to be cracked anytime soon. Isn't this cool?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/astro/planck.html
    Before a time classified as a Planck time, 10-43 seconds, all of the four fundamental forces are presumed to have been unified into one force. All matter, energy, space and time are presumed to have exploded outward from the original singularity. Nothing is known of this period.

In a broader way, I find it incredibly cool that advanced fields of research are still slowly unveiling things that seem to be the basis for future groundbreaking discoveries. As a matter of fact I quite wonder how it felt to live in Einstein time when such mysteries started to peak out, and got spread widely by the media. Imagine how wild we would go today if such groudbreaking moments were to happen again. The internet would just fry haha!

The whole 'You cant do anything about it, just move on and enjoy whatever you can grab' attitude somehow never worked on me. I'd rather live in a state of genuine curiosity than in a pessimist state of mind. I feel like this attitude suggests that we tiny humans know things as if everything was set in stone for good.

I think we can be grateful that we have access to scientific research data and publications so easily now. I think the 'emo' side of things is triggered when someone reaches that point of questioning ... while facing adults/role models firmly believing they have 'the' answer.

It doesn't excuse the hairstyles tho.
  • psychoticprankster
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you need to stop "Thinking" and start "Living". :)

I agree with him.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I dunno guys, thinking is good!
  • psychoticprankster
    pior wrote: »
    Whenever that kind of state of mind hits (and that can be pretty often especially if you are in a situation where you can think of things deeply without being disturbed...) I like to think about Planck time. Knowing that we are all completely mind boggled by it somehow makes me feel more connected to everything/everybody else. Like, instead of arguing who knows what, which answer is right or wrong, meaning versus no meaning... we can all agree that we are all clueless about one fundamental thing, no likely to be cracked anytime soon. Isn't this cool?

In a broader way, I find it incredibly cool that advanced fields of research are still slowly unveiling things that seem to be the basis for future groundbreaking discoveries. As a matter of fact I quite wonder how it felt to live in Einstein time when such mysteries started to peak out, and got spread widely by the media. Imagine how wild we would go today if such groudbreaking moments were to happen again. The internet would just fry haha!

The whole 'You cant do anything about it, just move on and enjoy whatever you can grab' attitude somehow never worked on me. I'd rather live in a state of genuine curiosity than in a pessimist state of mind. I feel like this attitude suggests that we tiny humans know things as if everything was set in stone for good.

I think we can be grateful that we have access to scientific research data and publications so easily now. I think the 'emo' side of things is triggered when someone reaches that point of questioning ... while facing adults/role models firmly believing they have 'the' answer.

It doesn't excuse the hairstyles tho.

And him , its pretty good and sound advice.
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds less like thinking and more like dwelling.

Even though at this moment you may feel things are meaningless but that could change at anytime.

I know several years ago I felt that I had lost everything and nothing mattered anymore.. I was a bit self-destructive... but eventually I found many many things and people that mattered and in turn I became important to them. I began to see the beautiful side of life, as corny as it sounds.

And a quote from one of my fave comics:
    "You're a searcher, dear.
    You're one of those poor unfortunates who can't ever be satisfied. "Who am I? What am I? What are my limitations? Can I ever hope to make one speck of difference in this world, and if so... Should I?" Now of course every intelligent person has to ask herself these questions at some point, but for our kind, it can be a bit, ah... Overwhelming, eh? So much power... so many options... so much paralysis."

-Vicious Whisper to Serenity Rose
    From one witch to another.. but I feel it applies to artists as well. :)

Turn off the TV.
    Get out in some woodsy area... sit and just listen... feel the stone and dirt, the tree bark..
    Go to a pet store and pet the bunnies. :poly136:
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    go out and have a good perv at some boobies and get laid
  • ChrisG
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    go laugh at fat people, they are always a source of endless amusement.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    rolfness wrote: »
    go out and have a good perv at some boobies and get laid

That sounds like a good option.

Lately I have been exersizing regularly and it really helps me feel better. Strangely, what makes me feel "meh" are usually things that others enjoy(watching football, going out to pubs etc.) So, I think only you can find the best solution. As a quick fix, I suggest kittens! Not the interweb kittens though, real ones :)
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    chrizz1 wrote: »
    go laugh at fat people, they are always a source of endless amusement.
    Or... endless fun. I've seen some thick girls around town that need some lovin...
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Lamont wrote: »
    Or... endless fun. I've seen some thick girls around town that need some lovin...

errr... and what are you waiting for? :D

The problem i see here is too much boredom, apathy, and too many hours in front of a computer, you need to disconnect. If you pass 8+ hours per day, avoid to use the computer at home... that's not living, and it will surely carry out serious problems. Our body charge bills.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Finding meaning in life can be rough, because one can always tack on: "I (or they) are going to die anyway, so what's the point"

My purpose in life is simple. Be positive. Help others be positive. Enjoy the time I have.

Now it doesn't always work out that way, but when I manage to keep it going it keeps me happy.

To what end? I'm not sure it matters..The journey not the destination, right?
  • dolemite
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Vassago wrote: »
    Yep, that's emo shit.

All you can do is keep moving forward while doing what you love.

agreed!
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I've found drinking works better than medication.

have at it!
  • Rumkugel
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    get a girl if you dont have one yet, they tend to bring you to different thoughts and activities.
    generally try new things, take some time off, travel, do what you like.

if it doesnt work, wank , booze, repeat as necessary.
  • Mark Dygert
    I've always found this uplifting, yea I'm weird like that.
    penguin2.jpg
    And you open the door and you step inside
    We are inside our hearts
    Now imagine your pain is a white ball of healing light...
    That's right your pain

The pain itself is a white ball of healing light
    I don't think so

This isn't a seminar...
    This isn't a weekend retreat...
    Where you are right now you can't even imagine what the bottom will be like

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake
    You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else
    We are all part of the same compost heap

I say let me never be complete
    I say may I never be content
    I say deliver me from Swedish furniture
    I say deliver me form clever art

I say deliver me from clear skin and perfect teeth
    I say you have to give up
    I say evolve and let the chips fall where they may

Welcome to Fight Club
    If this is your first night...
    You have to fight
    What I pull away from this is that you're level of meaning and happiness does not come from the cards you're dealt or the crap you're sold. It comes from the ace you have up your sleeve.

It's there, you just haven't been in a situation where you need to reach for it. It will be there when you need it, but its not coming to you.

I like piors train of thought, learning something new opens all kinds of doors. At the very least its an interesting distraction for an otherwise idle mind. Normally if someone was passionate enough to write a book about it, or if they make it their life's work, there is some meaning to it. Maybe by finding out what drives other people, you can find something that drives you?

I also agree that exercise like learning, is a great way to break out of a funk.
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    pior wrote: »

Thats frickken awesome, I couldnt really agree with you more dude *thumbs up*.

I'm not down with the 'just deal with it approach' I find when those times hit ( and they do to me more often lately ) Im more often than not thinking of things like ' why arent I a scientist discovering new things to better mankind in someway, or why arent i doing something thats furthering mankinds exploration ( conqeuring ) of our galaxy! And often I found myself reading up on stuff regarding those very subjects until it passes and I'm good to go again.

Sounds silly but might work for you dude ?
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe you should ask a family member if there has been some sort of depression through out your family? I mean its all well and good to tell someone "Hey man, just look on the bright siiiidee of life... DA DOOO... Da DooOOOOoo" but the fact is that there is no amount of friendly advice that can be said when your brain itself is dealing with chemical in-balances and all that groovy jazz.

Or maybe you're at a point in your life where maybe you need something new? New job, vacation... maybe even pick up an instrument and screw around with it for a bit.

Either waaayyy, you can dowit! PUTCHA BACK INTO ITT!!!
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, this is called depression. It is often caused by things you can't control, like the weather or hormones. It can also be caused by having major problems in life that seem to have "no solution".

If it seems more like the first case, I would try to get some sun, and exercise-- although those are certainly not cure-alls. Sometimes playing a really awesome video game or reading can get me through it, although those can become their own problems.

If it seems more like the latter, I would ask someone for help and advice. If that doesn't seem like an option, I would not give up hope. Things that seem like huge problems now will probably seem less important with time, or a solution will present itself eventually!
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Get something or someone you really care about.
    It takes your mind off of you, and puts your mind on them/it,

I had this same problem, as I am sure none of you remember, haha, but I got over it. Because I found an amazing girl, and started having a real life.

I used to just stay in all day basically, and do 3D or fool around on the interwebz, but now I hang out at a bunch of places and watch girly TV shows because they are good. My girlfriend got me into a bunch of things I had no idea about, and I found I enjoy them quite a bit. Music, TV Shows, movies, Reading, enjoying life.

Just be patient and you will get over it. You will stop thinking that way if your mind is occupied.

Hope this helps, but I doubt it.

(Now I only get sad when I sit at home all day doing nothing, haha)
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a Christian, so my world-view establishes that there is always hope and purpose, even if we don't know exactly what that purpose is. It can be very comforting, but it requires that you accept that you are not in control. (and never will be) It also requires that you accept that you will never fully know or understand the world in which you live. A lot of people just aren't capable of that level of humility and self-deprecation.

Meaningless, meaningless. Everything is meaningless. There is nothing new under heaven.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    "meaning" is a human idea. Nothing "has" meaning, no point in looking for it. The reality of it is much more fun, though it requires a little work on your part. You create the meaning. Go climb a mountain dude.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Do you ever feel as though everything is meaningless?

Hell yes, everyday. Events are sporadic and so is instinct, maximise moments of pleasure by not thinking about them in logical terms and you will be happier. Yes to exercise, after a hard workout you feel good.

I like what Joopson had to say apart from the end bit about being patient, patience is the cause of depression.
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    Taaaaaaanks for all your advice and what not.
    Generally I get that way when I have trouble sleeping, but looking at pictures of obese kittens makes it better. And yes, I agree that we have to enjoy our time here, even if we can't find any real meaning. I usually have a pretty easy time, but there are just days I get really bored and lose sight of that.
    D:
    Anyway, thanks.
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    life is meaningless, so don't take it too seriously. it doesn't matter whether you live and die, so have fun while it lasts, and then look forward to death when you're ready for it. pretty much what everyone else here have said. and don't sit alone locked in a room for too long, with no human contact, it'll make you go completely insane.
    anyways, reality by nature is insane, you just carve yourselves out a niche of sanity in this sea of madness.
  • Noia
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 13
    Just because you don't have a purpose doesn't mean your life lacks meaning.

Look at the silly puppy! It can't get up!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxdPYCc_1mU[/ame]
  • JohnnySix
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    I know how you feel, I think sometimes if I didn't have a job to go to I could happily not leave the house for a week or two sometimes - but yanno, small things generally pick me up - the random funny things that happen when you're out - just interacting with real people , with all the myriad means of communication at our fingertips from twitter to texts, we're probably one of the most detached generations - instead of looking up what our mates are doing on facebook we should be down the pub or in the park or having a family meal or something like that.

Kittens cheer me too though.

kitten186.jpg
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Life is what you make it, find out what is important to you, do what you love, and stand up for what you believe in.
  • System
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf wrote: »
    life is meaningless, so don't take it too seriously. it doesn't matter whether you live and die, so have fun while it lasts, and then look forward to death when you're ready for it. pretty much what everyone else here have said. and don't sit alone locked in a room for too long, with no human contact, it'll make you go completely insane.
    anyways, reality by nature is insane, you just carve yourselves out a niche of sanity in this sea of madness.

I don't know if you quoted H.P. Lovecraft there or not, but god damn i loved that cthulhu story.
    (and various others)
  • MattQ86
  • carlo_c
    A lot of good advice in this thread. When I feel like that I try to change up my routine, do something different that I usually wouldn't do or meet up with some old friends who I know I'll have a good time with. It usually gets me back on track, hopefully you will too.
    Noia wrote: »
    Just because you don't have a purpose doesn't mean your life lacks meaning.

Look at the silly puppy! It can't get up!

Noia your video made my night lol!
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know if you quoted H.P. Lovecraft there or not, but god damn i loved that cthulhu story.
    (and various others)

i've never read H.P lovecraft, but i want to.
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    WELLLLL i think we've learned our lesson -- don't ask for emotional, philosophical, or spiritual guidance from a forum filled with game artists.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    LOL @ John.

Apparently existentialism and nihilism serve game artists well.
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm more of a fan of Absurdism and Cosmicism, personally :D
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFM140rju4k&feature=player_embedded#
    This video puts a smile on my face every time i watch it. Say what you want about reality and how pointless it is, looking at all the awesome clips in the video makes you think of how many people are out there working their ass off doing what they love to make other people happy, that always gives me a bit of hope.

My advice is to find something you enjoy doing that you can compete at. Surround yourself with people that do the same thing and just keep pushing at it, stick to your guns and you'll find a way to make a living at it.

Life has its ups and downs, and no matter what anyone says a lot of it's just the random roll of the dice. 3 year from now you'll be in a completely new place doing something completely different, whether it's better or not who knows!
  • iatriki
  • rolfness