Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

For In-between.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
duncan polycounter lvl 11
Hay everyone.

In an attempt to keep myself active I have planned out a little side project for those times in-between comps and mini challenges. Basically I have decided to re-create all of the old school
movie monster ie:

-Dracula.
-The Wolf man.
-The Mummy.
-Frankensteins monster.
-Dr jekyll and mr hyde.
-The hunchback of notre dame.
-The creature from the black lagoon.
and any others I can think of.

Since I am a huge vampire fan I am starting off with the daddy of
them all Dracula. I am trying to get as close to the original look and feel of these characters and films as possible whilst still giving myself some creative elbow room.

In order to try and keep it game related I have imposed a limit for myself of 2000 tri's per
character and a 512x512 texture sheet.

I am hoping this thread will give me a place to post up my progress and receive some helpful feedback.

Here is where I am with Drac so far. I am almost done with the model and now I am starting to work my way through the texture, I still have a heap to do but it is getting there.

Comments, crtis, and feedback are always more than welcome.

see you all soon.

D.

99536587.jpg

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The face really needs some lovin' I like the vest though
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    haha, love the style. Whats up with the wierd loops on the lower legs though? You planning on making folds?
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    nice! What if you try making a bit of color gradient? What I mean from this is to instead of making enterely black or grey, put a purple tone into it in a gradient style to fake a cartoon shading into it. Keep it up.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome!

You could probably paint some more details into the face, the nose kind of disappears from any other angle than profile. Can't wait to see more!
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna keep up with this one, good luck with the project!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Coolio. Watch the polyflow, the head area as said needs attention, too dense and irregular and the body has some strangeness as the waistcoat should be joined to the rest which would eliminate tris, finally the lower trouser needs fixing.
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really liking what you are doing! Inspiration for me to do something like this in the future!

But if you bake out an AO map you could get rid of the vest geometry and combine it all together, as of right now that geometry does not seem to help the silhouette.

Can't wait to see the textures finished!
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Looks good so far. Although, I much prefer the original original version cause he had a big handlebar moustache.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay thanks for the feedback guys.

I have cleaned up some of the loops around the legs and and vest area. The top half is still separate from the legs but we will see how that goes. I have left the head for now but I will probably go in and optimize later. I wanted to keep a lot of tri's free for the face since that is an area where I really wanted to drag out some character during animation (if I get that far).

bugo: Thanks for the suggestion, I have added some colour to the AO and lighting pass, I really dig it but I feel it is moving away from my original idea.... BUT then again it looks nicer so I will probably go with it :)

Vig: Thanks heaps, yeah I need to get into the head agian soon everything is still sort of 1st pass texturing.

Everyone else thanks heaps for the crits and please keep them coming. I am not a character artist but I really hope to improve my skills and work flow with help from all of you.

Thanks again :):):)

D.

37806309.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay guys.

Here is a little progress. Things are going slowly but hay I have no deadline. I am close to leaving the head just have to finish the ears then I can move on. Let me know what you think.

D.

36672838.jpg
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    face is really coming together now- you've packed a lot of style and character into this- I'd love to see a whole game done in this classic hollywood monster style! Love the purple undertones- painted in or a render light?

~P~
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Sweet! It's cute and scary at the same time! Waiting to see Mr Hyde, I'm very curious! Keep up the good work. ;)
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    yeah the head is really coming together, huge improvement, grey stripes in the hair feels very vampirish, what do you plan for the coat thingy?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Why you post no more arts, Duncan?
    Last time I spoke to you, you said you were cranking on this.

Okay, a few crits:
    The head could definitely do with a bit more love, the eyes being the biggest thing. Maybe you're going for ultra simplicity but he has no eye lids. Just a black eye socket. Also you could really up the contrast on some of the details on the face for consistency and it will also read easier from a distance instead of just becoming a blur.
    I noticed from the front view in one of your earlier shots that the hair looks kinda flat and shapeless, yet in the side profile you have this nice unique shape. It could do with a bit of puffing out.

The sleeves are pretty plain and boring, maybe you could add in some soft wrinkles and also a sleeve cuff held by some cuff-links.

The pants are plain black, if there is anything in the texture there, I'm having trouble seeing it. It would be nice to see some subtle folds or something in the texture, really soft so it doesn't draw your eye too much.

The shoes are plain black too. Give them a leathery shine!

Here's a quick paintover with some of my suggestions to give you a rough idea of what I meant.

duncanDrac-01.gif

See you tomorrow, dawg.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha yeah thanks for that man. I have not touched the pants or shoes yet. I have done some work on the shirt but I have not posted yet. I will definitely get into that face love :) But for the moment I am going to leave him alone a new mini has started over at GA and it looks like a good'n. Thanks again man I am keen to get this BBQ on.

See you tomorrw.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work thr. The only thing I see that might use some work, is the wrists.. they don't appear to have enough loops to be animated. They just don't look like they would bend properly. maybe its just me
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    And don't forget those hands ;) Fun model btw
  • chris.voudiotis
    No more Dracula?? ):
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work on that model, it has so much character. His legs though, seem to be a bit plain, maybe some creases or pinstripes ?
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome model! Love those pointy fingers!
    Maybe we can get a fanged action-shot?
    MORE!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very fun piece lovin' the style!

-Woog
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay thanks for the feedback guys.
    I have finally started to back into this guy. I was on holidays for a little while there but just got lazy since getting back. Here is a bit of an update. I have only just started the pants and not done anything about the shoes yet but I am W.I.P'n it up anyway.

AnimeAngel: I will get into those wrists for sure thanks for the heads up.

BeserK: haha thanks heaps :), this is not so much of an action shot but there is some teeth for you :)

voudi: You raised this thread from the dead man. I was about to give up on him but now I think I might try to finish him off............ (maybe)

wipw.jpg

Thanks again guys.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He sort of looks like a young, undead version of Sean Connery :P

Have a couple of ideas to how to improve it, will do a paintover tomorrow when I have tablet acess. All I have now is the thinkpad clit, and no photoshop.. heh
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bbob: hahahaha, good one :)

hahahakz.jpg
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aside for emils pointers, I would say this is the only thing thats needed to make this pwnsome..

650jyu.jpg
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Very fun! I thought you mite find this guy's Zsketchbook interesting, he's made some real nice oldskool-movie-monsters.

I look forward to seeing the whole bunch ^_^
  • chris.voudiotis
    Raised from the dead, I see what you did there -_- Make like Liu Kang and FINISH HIM!