Home Technical Talk

Just discovered "Preview Selection" option in 3D Max...

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Yozora polycounter lvl 11
Wow I had no idea this was doable in 3d max! And I realize this post is probably gonna sound really noobish for those who knew about this :(

Its basically like silo/modo/nex with the mouseover highlighting of things, except if you enable the "multi" preview selection then it does all 3 component types, which means I dont need to manually keep switching between them with hotkeys anymore (which I used to do very often!)
I'll still need to use the component hotkeys when I need to drag-select a certain component but it'll greatly reduce the frequency of usage (or I could just click on a component to enter it's selection mode instead, hmm... then I can replace those 3 hotkeys... edit: nevermind, theres no preview selection thing in unwrap UVW so I'll still need those 3 keys for that mode :()

Funny how I never knew about this when its literally in my face 90% of the time (its in the top "selection" bit on the modifier panel)

Now theres only 1 thing I wanna know... can I enable multi-preview selection by default as soon as I create a editable poly?

Also... does 3d max have one of them multi-transform tools that combines move/rotate/scale like modo/maya/silo? I'm so used to switching between the 3 that I never thought of combining them until now~

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora wrote: »
    can I enable multi-preview selection by default as soon as I create a editable poly?
    Open the Listener window, and watch the pink area when you change the selection mode. That'll give you some maxscript code you can use to set this up.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Open the Listener window, and watch the pink area when you change the selection mode. That'll give you some maxscript code you can use to set this up.

yea silly me wasnt thinking about scripting it, just a default option in max, thanks :) For anyone else interested its $.selectMode = 2

I feel like a noob today :/
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If only it didn't select things by just hovering over them with ctrl held, then I would use this constantly, as I did in Silo. Sadly, it's too jarring for me, as it stands
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    If only it didn't select things by just hovering over them with ctrl held, then I would use this constantly, as I did in Silo. Sadly, it's too jarring for me, as it stands

Actually you're right, after using it for a while today I noticed this too... what the hell is up with that :s And it doesnt even "really" select the stuff, it just pretends to select it until you actually click something then the selection disappears? fail :(
    At least it doesnt happen when you hold shift as well~

Edit; Ok the ctrl thing seems to sometimes select things, which makes trying to select an edge to loop/ring extremely messy. So... in other words, this preview selection thing sucks big time, and now I see why no one else uses it or talks about it.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »

This. Any workarounds/scripts? haha
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtlusZMH wrote: »
    This. Any workarounds/scripts? haha

Also doesnt seem to like connecting edges to verts like NEX does >.<

I love NEX.. Is there a similar script/plugin for max? haha