Home General Discussion

Demon's Souls

Anyone else playing this? I'd never heard of it until last week, rented it on the weekend, and now I'm scouring sold-out stores around vancouver to try to find a copy.

Absolutely awesome game.

Ninja gaiden execution and difficulty, mixed with diablo-1-esque loot, stats and body recovery, mixed with a pseudo-mmo style multiplayer setup.

Best rpg of the year.

Replies

• Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I'd heard about it. If it's as good as you say, I may try for it.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    It's fucking AMAZING. I thought I would hate it, but I said fuck it, I'll try it. Checked 9 stores, finally found the last copy available. It's really, really good.

in fact, I won't say this in the uncharted or brutal legend threads (at least there should be a BL thread), but I'm hurrying to finish those games ... so I can get back to Demon's Souls. I keep gushing about it to everyone. there's just some alluring aspect about it that just makes me want to keep playing.

It's not easy, but it's not too difficult if you just take your time. there's no 'cheap' moments.

buy buy buy.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YUP! Demon's Souls was my most highly anticipated title for this fall. Been playing all week. It's really been a love/hate/love affair. I am playing as knight, which I am not sure was a great idea. I have died A LOT.

In 15+ hours of play, I have 3 trophies, having only beat 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1. I managed to get World 1 to white tendency and messed around in the event area that was triggered, only to get smoked. Other than that, I am working on 2-2. Briefly visited 3-1, 4-1, 5-1 and got the hell out of there.

It is BRUTAL. Brutal but fair. Don't run around hoping to hack and slash, because you will be skewered relentlessly. No saves. No checkpoints. No pause. You die and you come back with half your life.

...and yet, I keep going back to it. I just love the solitary exploration, the constant tension and fear that you are going to die at any moment. Never before has spending 3 hours trying to make it 100 yards further felt like a major accomplishment.

This game rocks.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waiting til my bday soon to get this, along with Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend.

Been following it for awhile, and it looks bloody awesome and hard. The use of tactical combat is really what interests me, and the online portion is really neat too.

I really wonder if red souls enter your game to steal your body much, or if its mainly blue souls trying to work together. You have any experience with that yet glib?
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I may:

I think you can only be invaded by black phantoms (other players) if you are "alive" yourself and not in phantom form.

I wouldn't know about that though. I have only been alive for 10 minutes of my 15 hours.

Same for summoning blue phantoms: you have to be alive.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow yeah, didn't notice all the posts that were made when i was typing mine!

Thanks! It seems cool to have players help or invade your game, but I wonder if it would just become annoying (if your alive that is).
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Oh man. This game and Uncharted 2. Looks like I'll be buying a PS3 slim this weekend. Too many good games coming out in the coming months and I've already got a huge back-log.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Sounds like what a 3d Castlevania should really be, maybe it will help serve as an example. A bit disappointing that it's only on PS3, as I don't own one! Otherwise, it does look really cool and I would definitely play it.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really shocked that this game has gotten such overwhelmingly good press. I expected a few "pretentious arty" reviewers to like it and everyone else to bitch and hate on it, but everywhere I look it's nothing but love.

Well, utter hate and frustration, but in a loving way.

I wonder if games in general are just so easy now that people are able to respect a game that is so deliberately different.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I've been playing this nonstop for a week, but now Uncharted 2 gets a spin.

Crazy that it's hard to find in stores now. Atlus really must have not expected it to sell at all. When I picked it up at my local Frys, they had a shelf full of copies. Today when I go in to grab Uncharted, the entire shelf where Demon's Souls used to be is empty. Sony really should have published this over here like they did in Japan. If this had come out in the summer with a little bit of marketing, it could have been a big hit. But now I'm guessing most people will pass on it because of the holiday glut.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Unfortunately theres no publisher for Europe so i had to import this after hearing all the rave reviews about it.

Hope it was worth it.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    hoping for a uk release too, might end up having to import if it doesn't get picked up soon
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sicsided wrote: »
    I really wonder if red souls enter your game to steal your body much, or if its mainly blue souls trying to work together. You have any experience with that yet glib?

I haven't been invaded yet. I'm rarely alive anyway.

The general way of things seems to be settling into: try new level, die. Learn, progress, die, repeat. Get to boss, put down blue marker and wait for someone to invite you to their game. See what the boss is like in a more carefree environment (since if you die, you just go back to where your marker was instead of the beginning of the level). Once you've beaten the boss and have an idea of the level design, boss' attacks, then you'll be resurrected (your bonus for helping out someone beat a boss), then trek down there again without dying (take your time) and recruit a few blue souls to help, then beat boss.

I've also only beaten 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1. I tried 2-2 in blue soul form about 10 times last night and we never managed to beat him. Back to grinding and leveling up before I try again. I'm thinking I might try 4-1.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    definitely try 4-1 or 3-1 first dude, haha. it's kinda crazy what order it's best to do stuff in but I love the fact that you can choose. and most if not all the levels are doable from the start if you have patience/skills
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really pushing hard for 2-2 because I want blacksmith ed to be able to start crafting stuff for me. I want my lava bow, among other things.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are their specific requirements to get that blacksmith in 2-1 to craft special weapons? I got down to him and it seems like he can only craft whatever the smith in the nexus can do. When I rescued sage Freke in 3-1, I was immediately able to trade in some of my boss demon souls for stronger spells.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to give him the firelurker's soul from 2-2 to unlock the high-level upgrades.

My roommate got invaded and killed this evening. I laughed.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, I beat both demons in 4-1 this morning. 45,000 souls :poly121:
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I want this game.

Ugghhh soo many games I need to get and play, not including the stack sitting unopened on my counter.

>_<

Uncharted 1 + 2, Arkham Asylum, Then this.

Followed by Modern Warfare 2, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, and everything else that's coming out next month.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went to 3-1 last night. What a great level. I had visited earlier but got owned by the mind flayers. Now I can take them down with 2 swipes.

I am kind of lost now though. I killed that giant ball of corpses, and am now at the arrow spitting death machine not knowing where to go. Now my corpse holding 6000 souls is laying in the midst of the storm of arrows.

I can't wait to get back in.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anoon wrote: »
    I went to 3-1 last night. What a great level. I had visited earlier but got owned by the mind flayers. Now I can take them down with 2 swipes.

I am kind of lost now though. I killed that giant ball of corpses, and am now at the arrow spitting death machine not knowing where to go. Now my corpse holding 6000 sould is laying in the midst of the storm of arrows.

Do you know how awesome your post sounds? GAAAH WANT THIS GAME!!! :poly127:
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I want this amazon US doesnt ship to the UK arseholes..
  • anoon
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah just looking at the site now.. going to be expensive with shipping and all in .. Im umming and aahhing about it now .. I am playing Aion at the moment
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    play-asia don't ship to blighty on certain items, demon's souls being one of them
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I am kind of lost now though. I killed that giant ball of corpses, and am now at the arrow spitting death machine not knowing where to go. Now my corpse holding 6000 souls is laying in the midst of the storm of arrows.

Bit of spoilers for 3-1 ahead:

That level is a bit of a maze. If you can get down to the level with the corpse ball, you should find, or already have, a key that should unlock the gates to the level directly above. That level isn't lined with prison cells like the others. It's U shaped and there's just a couple of cthulu guys patrolling. There should be a door at the end of the hall that will take you outside where you'll be able to get behind the arrow machine and turn it off. And that sets up a quick shortcut to get to the boss of the level.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I just did all that and took out the Black Phantom. I'm right at the fog gate before the boss and super apprehensive about going in. This is the most souls I have ever had! I don't want to lose them.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Gamestop ship to UK.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I killed that giant ball of corpses, and am now at the arrow spitting death machine

A BALL OF CORPSES AND A ARROW SPITTING DEATH MACHINE?
    blackkidk.gif
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I'm going to ask my brother to get this for me when he goes to the states in November, it reads awesome.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    picked up a copy at the local HMV and played until 5am.... what the hell is it about this game? what makes it so addictive and fun makes other games kinda crappy. i've managed to hold onto my corporeal state since defeating phalanx, and I'm at the doorstep for the boss at 2-2. fighting those piece of shit lava beetles takes me so long! : ( i don't have any magic yet!

coop is really cool, have to find some system so that I can play with people who I want, though it seems hiding your request in some strange dead end corner could work pretty well.

did anybody else find it funny and mood breaking when you first enter the nexus and see the blood stains for the first time? "wow! This is some kid's last moments", you think while seconds later you see him sprinting up the ridiculously tall staircase, make a bad turn with the PS3's janky controller and fly off towards the ground? ... then watching the nearly identical 10 or so bloodstains on the same staircase. i really like this game. : ) it is funny.

also, really funny to put "BAD MONSTER AHEAD, ATTACK FAST" type warnings right in front of areas with hidden merchants. I'll never know if they had the desired effect, but I do like the mental image of some guy killing one of your only lifelines in those difficult levels.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Uly, which HMV? Did they have more than one copy left?

edit: I just called every HMV and Gamestop within a 50km radius. Everyone says they'll be sold out for another 2-3 weeks. You lucky bastard. My rental copy is due back today.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    the one on Robson past the art gallery. (with the stinky art students doing interpretive dance to Radiohead's 'Idioteque') yeah, it was their last one. : ) but that means I got their greasy display copy. : (

invaded a dude last night in that soldier infested area in 1-4. (or whatever) at first, the guy was super cautious after I had popped in, but eventually went ahead doing his thing and taking on all the soldiers on one of the bridges. i didn't want to fight the dude head on, (he had much much better gear than me by the looks) and the one time I had invaded a guy's game earlier, I had gotten fucked by that Soul Arrow spell the royals have. Timing the dodge seemed really difficult. Hiding around corners, I waited until he'd pulled 2 red eyed knights before sprinting up behind him. As expected, that shitty soul arrow started flying around, but he couldn't lay it down enough with the mobs there. I wittled him down with a spear and shield until he got some distance from me to finish off the knights. Switched to broadsword, managed to get behind him and take him out with a backstab. It was pretty stacked against him, but that's kinda the nature of this game, and fuck is it cool. : )
  • BHJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BHJ
    rolfness wrote: »
    yeah just looking at the site now.. going to be expensive with shipping and all in .. Im umming and aahhing about it now .. I am playing Aion at the moment

Try https://www.videogamesplus.ca/ mate; might be a bit cheaper than playasia. It's where I got my copy from.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beat it tonight. It was fun, but it actually got downright easy at the end. 1-4 boss was by far the hardest, after him running through what I had remaining in world 3 and 5 was a joke. I was killing bosses in 5 or 6 hits most of the time.

Now I'm into new game + though, and while it's harder I was initially thinking, 'oh this isn't that bad'... until I got invaded while in soul form, in 1-1. Oh man there's gonna be a lot of pvp in this run.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BHJ wrote: »
    Try https://www.videogamesplus.ca/ mate; might be a bit cheaper than playasia. It's where I got my copy from.

ooooh cheers... but I decided to leave it for a bit..

I got my spiritmaster to 34 in Aion ^^
  • weiswayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weiswayne polycounter lvl 10
    woah the game seems to be pretty amazing, :)
    but have anyone faced the problem of occasionally dc from the server? seems i was online for awhile until i realize that there aren't any bloodstain/message/phantoms around :(
  • GrumpyRob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone in the UK thinking of getting this game dont hesitate, it really is an amazing game and well worth the few extra quid you will end up paying.
    I paid £53 off ebay and think its well worth it.:poly121:
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did anyone play on Halloween? The world tendencies all went black. I got my ass kicked non stop. Even the slow moving miner guys in 2-2 were wasting me.

I did however, manage to get the brushwood armor set without having to battle Miralda or whatever her name is.

But then Flamelurker obliterated me.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Yeah, so I beat 1-1, then I died in the nexus twice looking for the monumental, permanently losing my 15k loot.

:/

So now I'm torn between grinding to get my soul out of level 1, or just throwing in the towel. This game is ridiculously hard.

It's the stupid kind of hard, where it's more about memorization than actual skills or tactics, and it's ridiculously unforgiving when you die.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Yeah, so I beat 1-1, then I died in the nexus twice looking for the monumental, permanently losing my 15k loot.

:/

So now I'm torn between grinding to get my soul out of level 1, or just throwing in the towel. This game is ridiculously hard.

It's the stupid kind of hard, where it's more about memorization than actual skills or tactics, and it's ridiculously unforgiving when you die.

..it won't take much to get out of soul level 1.. and in fact your soul level won't make you that much stronger right out of the back. just go through 1-1 again, gather like 500 souls, then exit the level via the warp stone.. cash souls in, repeat.

the key is not to rush.. and if you die, get your corpse and you'll recover your souls. it's kinda your fault that you went and jumped the ledge twice without recovering your souls the first time :P

just pay attention in the game.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Did anyone play on Halloween? The world tendencies all went black. I got my ass kicked non stop. Even the slow moving miner guys in 2-2 were wasting me.

I did however, manage to get the brushwood armor set without having to battle Miralda or whatever her name is.

But then Flamelurker obliterated me.

I started playing this weekend..... for the first time. this is what i thought at the time. However i spent a lot of time grinding and leveling my dude up, to the point that when i was playing yesterday it was almost easy :) I think i've gotten better now though, so not sure which it is. What I have learned though - don't ever worry about your souls while you're "unlocking" the level. I would get pissed, frustrated, angry, but i realized - you're just progressing to get to the end. When you unlock it all... you can farm :)

I've beaten 1-1, and 1-2, and unlocked the Armored Spider in 2-1, as wellas progressing to the arrow wall in 3-1. This game is kind of retardedly awesome... I HHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEED it at first, until i unlocked the first gate in level 1-1. Once i did that... i realized the level design is so ridiculously tight, that there was more thought put into this game than I've seen before. The armored spider has been ridiculously hard for me so far, since I am a melee class (Wanderer)... but hopefully soon I'll destroy it :)

Only things i dont understand.......... are the red glowing-frenel-arific guys, and world Tendencies. How in the fuck can you tell what a world is on that screen? there is no text >< I understand "light color" "dark color," but this "pure dark" and "pure light" shit is confusing to me. I also could not beat 1-2 for the longest time, because there were 2 red-fresnel blue-eye demons right before the doorway, who'd rape the shit out of me. I died, and suddenly, they did not spawn anymore. I have no idea how or why those things were there, and also, everywhere else in the game.

Level 3-1 is also the creepiest level I've ever seen in a game. Rip your heart out Silent Hill and Resident Evil. The ball-of-corpses made me shit my pants.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RE: World Tendency- yeah it is really hard to tell what is what except for pure black and pure white once you've seen them.

RE: Not sure who those two demons were except that they may have spawned due to your world tendency at the time. Then when you died and it shifted the other direction, it prevented them from spawning.

The thing I still don't get is upgrading weapons. Sure, I understand going from a +1 to a +2 and so on, but I see people on other forums talking about meat cleavers and other special named weapons they have somehow upgraded to. I am so afraid of upgrading myself down a bad path.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One other thing to keep in mind is that for Halloween, all world tendancies were shifted to pure black, so you were probably seeing some of those world events. That could definitely be pretty tough when you're starting out.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    @glib: funny you should mention. i recommended it to a pal so we could play it coop, and after looking around town for 3 hours, he found a copy. in an IM he was complaining about these "black phantom guys" killing him in one hit. it was really confusing, since I didn't remember any of that stuff in 1-1. after about an hour, I remembered and told him about their Halloween event. harsh way to learn a game. : )
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i did some reading on it, and yeah... the enemy layout changes based on the world tendency. There were 2 more blue-face knights at the end of 1-2, there are a lot extra black phantom octopus face men in 3-1, and TONS of black phantom lizard men in 2-1. Fun times learning how to play haha.

Anoon, at specific upgrade points the weapons can be branched by using different stones. Be weary though, if you dont have many of those stones, you'll need more of them to upgrade that weapon further... and starting over on it requires a meltstone... that destroys all that work :) I've been taking my sword straight up, may try branching one later.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/meat-cleaver

upgrade a club with the 4-1 boss soul @ eld
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    So I gave the game another whirl, and I guess I "learned" how to play.

Level 33, finished the tower boss, and I managed to kill the red dragon.

:D I'm addicted
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    moose wrote: »

Only things i dont understand.......... are the red glowing-frenel-arific guys, and world Tendencies. How in the fuck can you tell what a world is on that screen? there is no text >< I understand "light color" "dark color," but this "pure dark" and "pure light" shit is confusing to me. I also could not beat 1-2 for the longest time, because there were 2 red-fresnel blue-eye demons right before the doorway, who'd rape the shit out of me. I died, and suddenly, they did not spawn anymore. I have no idea how or why those things were there, and also, everywhere else in the game.

Level 3-1 is also the creepiest level I've ever seen in a game. Rip your heart out Silent Hill and Resident Evil. The ball-of-corpses made me shit my pants.

It's intentionally vague. You can check via the WT screen or just look at the top right corner. One thing to keep in mind though if going for pure tendencies is that playing online always alters your WT a bit. By playing online you're actually being impacted by the actions of everyone else to some small degree. This generally results in you thinking you should have say, pure white WT but it's not because all those black WT's out there are bringing you down.

Safest way to get a pure is play offline for that last push in either direction, like killing a boss or something to get pure white. It's one of the poorer executed features of the game, but maybe it will be flexed better in the inevitable sequel.

The red-fresnel guys start showing up in black WTs. It's basically the game getting harder on you. Later on they spawn silently on you in very bad spots and make your life hell. The upside is that the blacker your world gets, the more souls and items you get per monster.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been upgrading my Bastard Sword. at +4, I did see an option for branching to a Quality Bastard Sword, but skipped it. I think I am stuck at a +5 right now. I need a freaking ore/upgrade chart next to me when I play.

I feel like I have been playing for a long time and not getting very far. At this rate it will take me a year to finish.

I am the type of guy that likes to get platinums on the game he plays. I can't imagine how many playthroughs it will take to platinum Demon's Souls. ugh.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yea nick, i think a lot of it was from the Halloween event too, tbh. When i played last night, everything was white & nice - finally noticed the differences in the WT... and everything was about 500 times easier. However... it did condition me, and I feel better at the game now! Only downside, i was close to killing the dude in 3-1, but then it went white, and he is back in his cell :(

I wish it was black though... you get more souls, and now the game is too easy :(