Home General Discussion

Uncharted 2

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Firebert polycounter lvl 15
released today in NA... anybody else snatchin' this bad boy up in a bear trap? i'm so stoked.... the good ole' wifey bought me a copy for our anniversary :)

Replies

• ZippZopp
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    I'll be grabbing this for sure...looks fantastic
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Had lots of fun with the Beta....definitely getting it
  • bounchfx
    got this and brutal legend this morning.
    you can add me on psn if you want to play some mp. tag is bounchfx :P
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome bounchfx!
    same for me... tag is Firerbert (with an "r" added in... someone already had it without the "r" :bear:)
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    bounchfx wrote: »
    got this and brutal legend this morning.

You utter utter bastard :p

Like others I'm getting pretty bored of the constant stream of over-the-shoulder, cover usage shooters, I also didn't understand what all the fuss was about with the first uncharted game and it's utterly unlikeable protagonist.
    However, over the past few months this game has really piqued my interest and it looks like it's rectified the majority of issues I had with the first game.
    I'm sure my flat mate will pick it up so I'll be purchasing Brutal Legend instead and I'll purchase this game at a later time depending on my experience from watching it.

Definately looking forward to it.

My tag, as ever, is RazorBladder.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    The MP was pretty fun. I'm gonna hold off on getting it since I've yet to play the first one (only just recently got a PS3). Buddy of mine is going to lend me the first one, but when I'll get around to playing it is up in the air as I've got a good sized list of 360 games to play coming up soon, and I'm working my way through Mass Effect finally.
  • Taylor Hood
    I'm looking forward to this game. ; )
  • kaze369
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    I wish I had a PS3.
  • dv8ix
    Your wife is awesume. Everyone should own a wife like yours. Buy you video games. THATS THE LIFE DAMMIT
  • doc rob
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    The reviews are really good. I might pick this up when Last Guardian comes out and I finally get a PS3.
  • Cojax
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Got this and BL today. Played the first 30 mins or so of Uncharted2 during lunch. Very cool so far!
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I find me self drooling over the environments every few seconds.
  • kolbyjukes
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    yeah I grabbed it today, excited to play.

if anyone wants to coop, add me: kol_ash
  • bounchfx
    holy fuck. just got done playing it for 45 minutes. seems like GOTY so far. the snow is incredible, the environments breathtaking, and the cutscenes top notch. impressed is an understatement.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    whenever i get out of here just gonna buy it! ;)
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Will get it for sure, i need to scrape the barrel but it will be worth it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    when I get the cash I'll be picking this up (as well as Brutal Legend). The only PS3 game I have right now is Ratchet & Clank. Damn, I want to pick up Resistance 2, too. hah
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    picked it up at lunch time, cant wait to gtfo and play this. loved the 1st one and i hear this just blows it away.
  • Quokimbo
    Man, I want to play uncharted 1. I played the MP beta, I may pick this up later...
  • gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    I'm about 2 hours in. I love the game, but I have to say the first hour or so is a slow build. Lots of story, lots of cut scenes, etc. Environments are gorgeous and the characters are top notch. Looking forward to heading home and planting my ass in front of the tube for some more.

PSN - ArmedToTheTeeth
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    flaagan wrote: »
    I've got a good sized list of 360 games to play coming up soon, and I'm working my way through Mass Effect finally.
    C'mon. Mass Effect is like 12 hours long!! Get to it!

I need to get a videogame buddy and have someone send me a copy over here.
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    C'mon. Mass Effect is like 12 hours long!! Get to it!
    - no if you're stickler like me and get ALL the quests done before finishing the main story line....

(i have a thing about side quests - i did it on batman aswell)
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    I did it with only a few side quests not done and that's because I was locked out and I got sick of scanning planets. 22 hours total. All my dudes were level 40. Sucks you can't grind on that game.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    we have had a few copies in the office for about a week, its awesome. everyone that went to the release event last week got a free copy! thats a release party!!

play as doughnut drake, shit is so funny.
  • bounchfx
    I can't stop saying wow as I play this game. there's so many insane polish items. I love it.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    the snow and ice is just breathtaking, as is the rest of the game.
  • attattattack
    Offline / Send Message
    attattattack polycounter lvl 8
    the devs are crazy, this game is awesome!
  • bounchfx
    wow. the colors are fucking unbelievable. wait until you're on the rooftops of nepal. omfg.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    holy sheit, the skin looks amazing. texture work is phenomenal.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Okay I have a question. I am considering getting a ps3 for Uncharted2, MGS4 (played it already tho) and Killzone2. Question is, is it really THIS pretty?

uncharted-2-among-thieves-20090115041035897.jpg

I have a hard time buying this level of antialias and absence of nasty texture compression. I would love to hear what you guy think of this? Fanboyism aside obviously.

Thankyou!
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    ^ ^ Ditto on the screenshot.

I'm having such a hard time believing the hype.

:(

I've already been duped into buying mediocre PS3 exclusives; Little Big Planet, Killzone 2, and MGS4 based on the 90% Metacritic score.

And it seems like the only feedback I get from anyone are the PS3 fanboys that claim Killzone is as good if not better than Gears of War (it's not even close, Gears kicks Killzones ass in every category).

Can someone who actually owns a 360 as well verify if this game is any good? And should I get this before Demon Souls?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I can point out 20 things that look UGLY from that pic, looks like a pretty legit ingame screen shot.

(The plastic storage containers texture thing..., the shading on some of the bricks on the left, texture distortion, different sized rubble on the concrete chunks, a lot of it looks lower rez/upscaled, weird shadow? on the left, too much bloom, most of the bricks just look weird, clipping on the foot, texture on the blue pillar on the right looks very low rez, low poly,
  • bounchfx
    Yes, it's that pretty.

In fact, that's remarkably tame compared to most of the scenery.
  • gavku
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    yeah I'll probably pick up a ps3 for this an Last Guardian...
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    There is slight texture compression when running on drake noticably. Like dropping from a 2k to a 1k texture, its not bad but you can occasionally tell. The world otherwise looks just like that pic, especially if your in cover/not running which is something you are not always doing.

Will agree that the pic shown is pretty tame as were almost all pics I saw compared to some of the environments in the game.
  • bounchfx
    took a pic with my iphone because this shit looks unbelievable, especially in motion. and even this shot is one of the less eventful ones compared to stuff that's happened earlier.

Mobile%20Photo%20Oct%2014%2C%202009%202%2032%2003%20AM.jpg

they also do a nice transition during cutscenes and beef up the models/textures/rendering, kinda like MGS4 did. it looks great.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    The game does anti alias to that level as far as I can tell.

Just played that area in bounch's screenshot. Absolutely incredible.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    So yeah I keep watching reviews and looking at screenshots ... I find there is a very high level of polish to everything, but somehow something is holding me back, I cannot quite put my finger on it. Maybe its the character expressions that are knee deep uncanny, or the goofy acting, I dunnno. Or maybe I am just waiting to see something that makes me want to say "WOAAH I want to play that!". I had that with Gears2 with that level inside the worm, crazy stuff like that, or just staring at the colors in Mirrors Edge... whereas here it all seem quite ... generic ? Predictable ? I mean in Tomb Raider there was T-Rexes and it was awesome, here we get jokes about wet T-shirts.

But yeah one thing for sure is that I don't like the character animations. Or maybe it's the awkward bone placement for the rig? They give me the same awkward feeling I got from watching Heavy Rain clips - lack of weight somehow. Didn't get any of that from MGS4 or Gears, no idea why.

That helicopter scene over the old city is incredible tho!

Still wondering if its really worth 299+69USD ...
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I BOUGHT TODAY! It really IS amazing, no complains... Should be the game of the year!
    What really amazes me is the TONS of content on this game. Tons of props, animations, modular buildings. Cameras are unique, sound too. Got addicted to it. Very well paid.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Still wondering if its really worth 299+69USD...
    If you're not a game connoisseur, just go to someones house and play it there. Play it at work on off time. You can prolly finish it in like 8~9 hours or less. It just seems you're looking for justification to keep yourself from buying it. I don't see the point in buying a system for one game is what I am saying.

It comes out tomorrow here and I am most definitely getting it. I have not seen ANY print/tv/internet ads about "Drakes Fortune: Golden Sword of the Vanishing Civilization/Convoy/Fleet". It's not even being pushed on Sony's Japan site. Or maybe I just need to watch more TV?
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Hehe I don't know if I am a connaisseur or not, whatever that stolen word means in english (:P) but yes I am extremely picky about games and also I find more and more that other gamer's "awesome" rarely matches mine (I can play through Mirrors Edge multiple times, enjoy beating Megaman9's bosses one after the other for hours, yet I can not stand more than 10 minutes of Brutal Legend :P)

On the other hand if the game is *that* great, I must admit it's tempting. I think I'll end up buying the disc and play at the office hehe. Good advice here man!
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Hope to receive my copy tomorrow when it's released here in Europe, along with Demon Souls.
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    played it pretty late last night, and yes, it IS that beautiful. Nepal is absolutely gorgeous... hands down... stunning. the story is turning out to be really great and is shaping up nicely. if you haven't played the first one, then you really have to in order to know what is going on in the second storyline wise.

the turnoffs for me? i was actually surprised that i would have any at all since i loved the first one so much. Drake looks different... just, different in the face and his eyes... i really don't like it. they must have pulled some new sculpts for the characters and that makes him look somewhat odd to me. however, sully looks superb and even better than the first one imo. the hot latin chick (can't remember her name because i'm always too busy lookin' at her ass) is smokin' hawt... she annoyed me at first, but then they put her next to Elaina (sp?) and that was all she wrote. :)
    the rigs. there is just something wrong here. there's a lot of weird bone placement and bad skinning resulting in funky joints and strange deformations. it really brings down the awesomeness of the cutscenes.

things that just made me love it and want to play more:
    treading through the snow is kick ass
    the new fighting method is smoother
    explosion fx are tighter
    wanting to see what the next kick ass environment would be
    great storyline and smooth gameplay
    that damn hawt latin chick.... shwing!
    kicks the first uncharted title in the balls
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe I don't know if I am a connoisseur or not, whatever that stolen word means in english (:P) but yes I am extremely picky about games and also I find more and more that other gamer's "awesome" rarely matches mine (I can play through Mirrors Edge multiple times, enjoy beating Megaman9's bosses one after the other for hours, yet I can not stand more than 10 minutes of Brutal Legend :P)

On the other hand if the game is *that* great, I must admit it's tempting. I think I'll end up buying the disc and play at the office hehe. Good advice here man!
    I am sure one of your workmates or friends is picking this up. No harm in taking a peek firsthand then deciding if you're gonna buy a whole system for it. You can buy just the game, and eventually get the system.

There's no harm in NOT liking a popular game. I like 24:The Game on the PS2 and it got horrible ratings all the way around.
  • motives
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe I don't know if I am a connaisseur or not, whatever that stolen word means in english (:P) but yes I am extremely picky about games and also I find more and more that other gamer's "awesome" rarely matches mine (I can play through Mirrors Edge multiple times, enjoy beating Megaman9's bosses one after the other for hours, yet I can not stand more than 10 minutes of Brutal Legend :P)

why not broow it or play it at work? i bet someone has a copy laying around?
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    This game is awesome, the pacing is great and the overall look is astounding. I'm about 3 hours into this game and have nothing to complain about, ND did a great job on this.
  • dolemite
    Im in chapter 3. So far it's the best looking game this gen imo. Character animations are so great. And the constant quality of the textures and materials is unbelievable.

Congrats to anyone who worked on this.
  • Cojax
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I'm 7 hours in. I played all last night. This game has the most stunning visuals in any game....ever. If you own a PS3 you must have this game. If you ever thought about getting a PS3 get it for this game. Its well worth it. I think this is one of those rare gems that surfaces in the industry every other year or so.
  • bounchfx
    pior, this is the first time you're disappointing me. it's really fucking good dude. the level of polish is insane. I'm no animation buff but I've been enjoying most of the animations/expressions and even little act breaks a lot. even if you don't like the gameplay (which would mean you don't like shooters basically), it's worth it for the visuals alone.

not sure how you could bring yourself to buy any other game if you can't bring yourself to get this!
  • gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Anyone else noticing what seems to be SSAO?

And yes, Nepal is one of the best game environments I have ever seen. The sheer use of color (and getting it all to feel cohesive) blows my mind. A real treat for the eyes. Tag on some awesome gun fights and massive destruction / physics and you've got a solid gem.