Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Zack Fowler, Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
edit: Oops, maybe I should have waited a few hours to put this up. Apparently the DNS registration might a moment or two to go through for everyone else, sorry about that!

Hey there polycounters!

I just finished putting up my new portfolio site: zackfowler.com

I'm currently seeking employment as a full-time in-house artist. Please feel free to offer critique on both my artwork and the site itself. Here's a sample from the scene I have most recently been working on:

zf_tech_hall_01_2009.jpg

Cheers!

Replies

• alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Love the tech hall, though it seems like it has a copper colored haze on the whole thing. Website is nice and easy to navigate. Your concept art is cool too, I remember seeing city of ancients posted a while back and kinda disappointed that you didn't finish a 3d version of it :) Though maybe could use another scene or more props since you are looking for an enviro position. Right now you have 1 scene, 1 modular trim, 2 weapons, 1 sci-fi vehicle and 1 lowpoly character robot. If anything, I would make another scene and remove the robot. But overall, I like the work, looks good
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well dude I'd just like to say that it's some fantastic work you have on there. Your 2D work is also very nice. So yea, thumbs up :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Solid stuff dude, nice site and quality art.

Agree with alexk that some more environment scenes or prop models would help round it out, content-wise.
  • BHJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BHJ
    Hi Zack. Really like the site, nice and easy to navigate and you have some quality pieces there.

You say your an environment artist? From your site I would have second thoughts about that. Not that any of your work is sub-par, but (as alexK said) you have a few odds and ends up front. I'd suggest maybe a bit of a re-arrange - moving your weapons and mini atlas mech to another section.

Your concept work is spot-on, and is definitely an asset to your site. Maybe you could do a concept > model workflow piece on a set of props or an environment to help beef out the 'environment' section of your portfolio.

Keep at it man, you've got the talent!

p.s. I'd ike to see the stone trim piece expanded on, I like the slight painterly feel you've got going on there :)
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work Zack Im really impressed by the simplicity of the site, downloading the site via Zip is also plus for directors who want to save all the images etc. I like your balance between concept and 3d skill, very flexible. Good luck!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Zack that's a great portfolio! it actually what most portfolios should look like and the content in it is awesome great work!
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why did you decide to label the fantasy sword as "somewhat impractical"?

It's a fantasy sword. ;-)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Totally agree with ae...

Awesome awesome work Zack, this is exactly how I want my portfolio to be balanced (cept the 2D... that would drag me down). I wish you the very best man, I know you'll land a gig in no time.
  • Joe Lemonade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe Lemonade polycounter lvl 8
    Great portfolio. I especially like the ancient temple trim piece. You've got an artstyle I like.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    nice texturing skills
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk: Yep, I have a bit of red-tinted post processing on that scene. You're right about the robot, not really sure why I threw that in there. Good call on more environment content as well. I might be able to put together a mini-scene of assets from the City of the Ancients environment. I guess I wanted a bit of variety after my previous position but got more than I should have!

Snipergen: Thanks man, I appreciate it. :)

MoP: Thanks man, I'll see if I can crank out a mini-scene or two.

BHJ: Hehe, I see what you mean. I kind of noticed it as well so I put "Environment & Props" on the site instead of just "Environment". I'll just take down the mini-atlas entirely (since it doesn't relate to the work I expect to be doing anyway) and replace it with more environment work.

Kaburan: Thanks, gotta credit all the wisdom around here on PC showing me the value of a simple-as-possible portfolio site. Fingers crossed eh!

ae: Much appreciated, I hope the art directors who see it feel the same way. :)

Krypteia: Just my misguided attempt at humor. Seems that you're more likely to cut yourself than anyone else with that thing! But I suppose you could say that about a lot of fantasy swords.

Jason: Thanks man, fingers crossed! Whatever it ends up being, at least I'll be moving out of Gainesville heheh!

Joe Lemonade: Thanks, I'm glad you like it. :)

renderhjs: Thanks man, it's probably my favorite part of the process.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice stuff! Think you could take the hallway further, the style and the monotony of the scene almost demands it. THe same goes for the stone wall-stuff - great style and execution, makes me wanna see more! Excellent consistent texturing. Now do MOAR.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I really love your stuff. Your 2D and 3D skills are inspiring to me. Keep up the great work!
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice. The machinery reminds me of the Sweepers from the film Robots.
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    Zack, your portfolio is extremely solid, great work! The rifle is amazing, and I love the feel of the techy-hall.

Keep it up!
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really neat stuff. 2d is great too
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Zack,

Nice work over all. I got few crits if you don't mind.

On your website you should put your texture sheets and wireframes at the end because a lot of your props are missing it.
    The scene that you are working on is nice, but I cannot see with my eyes where the light source is coming from.

Good luck!
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your folio a lot, simple and full of good artwork! :)

Will you be updating the WIPs such as the art-deco scene with finished shots as you work on them?
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah! You're folio is rockin'!
    lol.
  • danpV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fell in love with your trim piece (http://www.zackfowler.com/a_temple2.html)!

Now a humble request: could you post wire + UV for this asset? I'd love to dissect this piece!

Good luck, sir!
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    very nice .. i actually like the trim piece the best :)

nice concepts as well
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rasmus: Thanks! I aim to please, and will keep posting up more here until the day I move to whatever strange new land I end up being hired to. Right now I'm thinking of putting together a mini-scene with the temple stuff, including one of the big enthroned statues.

Haiasi: Thank you, I'm glad you find it inspiring! :)

AshleyTayles: Thanks! Haven't seen that film in a while but after looking it up again I can definitely see the resemblance with the sweepers, good catch.

toren3d and 00zero: Thanks dudes!

Mazvix: By all means, honest crits are one of the best ways to improve, thank you. :) I was wondering how many people would catch the lack of a physical light source, hehe. I already have a design and placement for them in my mind's eye and should get them in there by the end of the week. I did get lazy on showing wireframes and texture sheets, so I'll take another pass soon to get those all up there for the remaining assets.

carlo_c: Thanks, and yep you betcha.

PixelMagus and StefanH: Thanks guys!

danpV: Thank you! Absolutely, I'll see if I can post it up there in the next few days.
  • Joe Lemonade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe Lemonade polycounter lvl 8
    danpV wrote: »
    I fell in love with your trim piece (http://www.zackfowler.com/a_temple2.html)!

Now a humble request: could you post wire + UV for this asset? I'd love to dissect this piece!

Good luck, sir!

What would rather interest me is to see & hear how you've textured this, as the model itself looks rather straight-forward and easy to understand to me.
    I really like the layersih look of the plaster/grout/putty. And the way you used accentuation on the edges.
    The combination of hand-drawing and photo reference for surface details works very well. The normal/parallax map (which I assume you used) seems to integrate very well too.
    Would you be so kind to post a Photoshop PSD to explain your workflow a bit?
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Woa, this is one of the best folios I've seen in a while!

Congrats mate, kick ass stuff you've got here.
  • NoltaN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoltaN polycounter lvl 15
    I love the concepts you have zack, really professional looking stuff there. They give a really nice sense of atmosphere! I love the weapons they look really good. The environment piece you have looks good but like others have said your portfolio doesn't really push that your an environment artist. The only last critique I have (I didn't see this mentioned but may have missed it) I'd probably take the 'wall' piece out. Compared to the other pieces it doesn't really feel complete, not to say it looks bad (it doesn't), It just really doesn't need to be there until there's an environment to house it. That's just my opinion though :D