Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Ben Close

Hey Everyone!

My name is Ben Close. I would call myself a technical environment artist but I really try to be a generalist. With 2 months left before I graduate I want to spice up my portfolio, and thus the reason for this thread! I also would like to note that I am looking for a job and I am more than willing to learn with an internship.

www.benclose.com

At the moment I don't have a lot of work on my website but I will be adding a few more pieces before I graduate.

Any and all feedback, criticism and comments are very welcome!

Thanks

Replies

• uneditablepoly
    Clicking the dumpster asset bar on the main page seems to lead to your resume.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks pretty good would be nice to see the texture flats for the enviros as well as some stats eg tri count. as uneditable says the dumpster loads your resume
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    I'd like to see the room with less fog, it's hard to see the detail you've put into it. Nice start though.
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks.

I probably should have mentioned the current issue with the dumpster asset. haha I will add some textures and tri info to the objects.

Here is another piece that I will be adding to my portfolio once it is finished. I will try to keep my progress updated. The piece is an F-35A JSF.

sunday_10_12_09_2.jpg

sunday_10_12_09_3.jpg

sunday_10_12_09_5.jpg

sunday_10_12_09_6.jpg

sunday_10_12_09.jpg

I will be working on some more major details and then I plan on getting it into zbrush for adding all the paneling and bolts.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    The lighting in the unreal scene is nice, but overall it's kind of clear to me what needs attention is textures. They are too procedurally noisy and don't have enough variation between different surface types. Because of this it's hard to read detail in anything and everything ends up blending together.

ps: your first skill mentioned is 'proficient in hard surface modelling' yet there are no examples of this work on your site.

ditto on the dumpster.
  • tbaugher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! You have a very clean layout, a lot of nice stuff going on there. The jet is looking good would you be able to post some wires for us?
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Been extremely busy with another project. Here are some more images with a little more work done.

tbaugher, I have two wireframe images attached

GCMP, thanks for the feedback! once I finish this f35 I will be revisiting the rest of my work and will be sure to touch up the textures. Also, with this f35 I hope to demonstrate that I am proficient in hard surface modelling. I also took down the dumpster.

urgaffel, when I retouch the scene I am thinking of adding another room possibly and a separate light source, the new room should be a lot less foggy

Here are the more recent images of my F-35 including a AIM 120 AMRAAM Air to air missle.

tuesday_10_20_09_8.jpg

tuesday_10_20_09_7.jpg

tuesday_10_20_09_3.jpg

tuesday_10_20_09_2.jpg

tuesday_10_20_09_1.jpg

tuesday_10_20_09_.jpg