Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Library environment

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
wow, its been long since ive posted anything here.. anywhoo

i started modeling and texturing this small room using 3dsmax and photoshop and i just began learning how to use unrealed for unreal tournament 3. I love the material editor!! so its been a little more than a week since ive really started to learn how to use unreal 3.

i guess im just posting here to ask some people for a critique. There are still plenty of more props to texture and import, but i plan to go back.. i just need some advice to help polish this up.

heres what i have so far:

7734_136292760765_585790765_3042807_4042664_n.jpg

7734_136292765765_585790765_3042808_8140739_n.jpg

3993974343_c89536258c.jpg
this image is kinda small, how do i get a bigger screen shot??

id be very happy to hear from you guys, thanks

Replies

• ralusek
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    no image as far as i can tell
  • Tadao215
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry, i accidentally posted too soon. there should be images now
  • Tadao215
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    UnrealEd has a little 'window maximize' btn top right/middle of each window, try using that then taking a screenshot....

nice scene so far...
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    this piece is looking very nice, Im always happy to see things in unreal that arent either

A: A alleyway

or

B: A destroyed something

With my personal preference out of the way , I really love the scene but Im not a fan of the floor at all..

also theres commands you can type to make your resolution window bigger by running the project file (running the game) and hitting Tab to open command prop

Ghost to fly around

I forgot the command for the resolution but I think its

Set Rez 1280X1024 for example? (check ude website to clarify this)

ok a few things I suggest//have to ask

1- Do you have light maps on your scene? (if the answer is no, or whats a light map go look it up and do it now!)

2- are you intensifying your normal maps in your node window? (a multiply node goes a long way!)

3- are you gonna put a cube map on your glass objects? I believe having that glass reflect alot more (espcially the scene itself) will make those glass urns look absolutely GREAT on zoom in's (this is a really advanced process so dont worry if you cant do that, instead make a nice spec map to sell it more, right now its really bright and not looking glassy//fine china to me at all)

4- I need to see more top hat and monocle and pipes in that scene!

5- Glass on the wall is a nice effect good job getting that working!

6- are you planing on sculpting that moose head you have in max?

Great start on this keep pushing GOGOGO!
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Great work! Very clean and nice. Only crit from me is that where the walls meet the floor needs a baseboard/border. Keep it up!
  • Tadao215
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin: yea a friend of mine said the same thing about the floor, now im thinking about changing it, but what exactly turns you off?

1 - yes i have light maps on the floor and the static mesh walls, maybe i should change the resolution of the shadows?

2 - no i am not intensifying normal maps and i will now that you've mentioned it

3 - hmm i dont think i know how to do that, any good online tutorials??

4 - lol! cool, yea its not too late to add to any of this

6 - oh and yes i plan to sculpt that moose head

cody: yea im glad you said something, i had doubts about the base of my walls but i had no idea what to do with it.

Thanks you guys, i really needed a fresh pair of eyeballs to look at my scene. Soo now i will continue working on it and i will definetly go back to make those changes. it will probably be another week till post an update but the next time i do the images will be bigger.

Thanks!!
  • Taylor Hood
    Awesome but the floor seems kind of..tiled.
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Great looking scene Tadao. I'd like to see it with some more dramatic lighting - but thats just me. Keep up the good work.
  • Mazvix
    "this image is kinda small, how do i get a bigger screen shot??"

Press 'Play from here' inside unreal, then press tab to bring up the console.
    type: showhud - to remove anything on the screen.
    Fov 60-100 for field of vision of the camera. And for your own screen resolution type: Tiledshot 6 x 128. Go inside my doc, games, ut3, etc. until you see folder named screenshots- it will be in there.

Good luck!
  • Mark Dygert
    Looking pretty good I like what you have going. I agree about the floor. You could try wood workshop it can produce a lot of different procedural floor tiles quickly and its free. Its a nice base to start creating your own custom texture on top of and also get a feel for patterns and how they look in your scene.
  • motives
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    i would say the biggest problem with the floor is that you have scale issues. Looking at other props and textures in the scene those boards would be like really big.
  • Tadao215
    Offline / Send Message
    ok just a quick update:

4033764750_45a59205fa_o.jpg
    4033764600_8254a09fcd_o.jpg

so i played around with the lighting, added god rays, and changed my floor.
    i really like that wood workshop program, works good.

there are still a few things i havent made changes to, like putting something at the base of my walls or making the grain of the wood smaller on my ceiling.

for those of you who are following this, thanks. i really appreciate all your comments and crits
  • bounchfx
    wow this really came along. was gonna mention the floor but you fixed that right up. Sweet job so far!!
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    too bright!

color the lighting! windows maybe blue? lights yellow?

the model and texture stuff is gorgeous man.. but the lighting is flat.
  • Tadao215
    Offline / Send Message
    ok! so some of my lights are yellow, but yea the lights coming from the windows arent blue, ill change that now. i guess ill dim it up some too.

its funny cause the lighting and color looks a little different on every computer i go to
  • okno
    Looks really good, but those windows should be making huge specular reflection on the varnished floor, something like this or this or this
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, i dunno if blue specifically is agood idea or not but.. a little more contrast is really waht i mean. shaddows could be a tad darker i think.
  • Tadao215
    Offline / Send Message
    alright cool. and how do i make those window reflect off the floor?
  • Eltrex06
    very nice work man, the updated floor really helps tie everything together and looks much better than the first one.

The lights are throwing me a little, during the day time the lights might not be on so bright. Haven't worked in the unreal engine so not sure how feasible it would be to turn it down, or how it would look but just a suggestion.

also some of your gold trim in the "boxes" in the ceiling are not matching to the wood exactly. there is a small space of texture between the gold trip and the wood framing.

also maybe consider using a different texture on the ceiling so it doesn't look the same as the wall?

but yah other than that which is really my personal preference great work man, keep it up
  • okno
    I've never used unreal, so there's probably a more advanced way, but I remember the castle in TS3 used what looks like planes under the floor, here's a pic
  • EarthQuake
    I would go with yellow for the light coming through the windows, as that looks like direct light more than ambient(which blue would make sense for). Unless your sun happens to be blue =P
  • torontoanimator
    i love the couch, but you really shouldnt have placed one in front of the shelf lol, it makes no sense
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    liking the scene so far. i don no if its just me, but the carpet looks a little too small.
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    i love the couch, but you really shouldnt have placed one in front of the shelf lol, it makes no sense

agreed with this

liking the scene so far. i don no if its just me, but the carpet looks a little too small.

Its not the carpet that looks small, its the room that is so huge. I think the size of that type of rug is fine
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Tadao215
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, im really appreciating all of this. thanks