Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Anthony Vaccaro - Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Autocon polycounter lvl 15
Hey everyone, got my portfolio updated with new/better/layout junk this morning and would love to hear any feedback on the site and work. No need to be shy, if something sucks let me know so I can rip it out of change it. Trying to get a job so no need for crappy work.

As always feedback is greatly appreciated.

http://wireframeworlds.com/index.html

Thanks,
-Anthony

Replies

• carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some really nice work you have there, that cryochamber environment turned out great.

I'd change your resume from one big image to actual text, just so that it loads faster and if someone would need to copy/paste something from it. Maybe make it clearer too that your resume page is also your contact page so it's just that bit more user friendly.

Lightbox is always a hit or miss with people, personally I don't mind it but I know some people detest it lol.

Good luck with the job hunt :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fix typos and a few other little quarks. Feedback always appreacated on work be it what I should drop, remove, add or improve.

@carlo_c - Hey thanks for the feedback. I totally agree about the resume being one big image is less desirable then text but I was only ever shown how to make a table, put pictures in the table and make links in dreamweave.

Couldnt figure out how to get all the text stuff to work and with Unearthly starting I didnt want to burn to much time trying to get it to work when I have the PDF and Word version there. I will defantly try to learn a bit more about dreamweaver when I get the time.
  • shape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shape polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed that cryo chamber is really good work, I'm keen to see what else you can come up with :) The first two screens are very similar, maybe the closer one could be taken from the right side just to make them feel different.

I'm not a fan of lightbox. At my screen res it took a while to find the close button and hit back instead. Have you tried just stacking the images into one page per piece? There isn't a huge number and they load so quickly you may as well just put them on one page and let the user use their scroll wheel or bar. People are used to using those.

One minor niggle - your text images for the UI are really badly compressed. They are all fringed with artifacts. Try using GIF and exact palette, see if that works and is fast enough, or bump up the jpg quality.

Also maybe another tiny suggestion, I'd add another horizontal line at the bottom of the main page to indicate that's the end of the content.
  • jett12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In your Resume you misspelled "Next-Gen" as "Net-Gen"

Great looking portfolio!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I like the layout and the content. The cryo environment is really nice.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    You have some really great work on your page. The one thing that peeves me are the light boxes. The issue with them is the light box waits for the entire JPG to load into your temp internet files before displaying it... whereas if you had an HTML page with the JPG you see it load progressively.

The progressive loading that is native to images in HTML pages is key in keeping interest during load times, and light box takes that away. Light box also limits the ability to right click > save image!

Great work, again :)
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    I love it. I have a fetish over prop sheets and you just satisfied my needs!
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Autocon,

I like what you have going on for you. I recommend getting rid of the tree, it doesn't match up with the rest of your work and it is the weakest piece. Also the bench's normal map is really weak you can barely see it, I would suggest go back and enhance the normals more, other wise it is kind of useless to have it. I guarantee it will pop it a lot more.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Site is down for me.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Site is up for me
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Solid work, man! I have a couple crits, one for the site and one for the resume. For the site, the white text on a light grey background is problematic. Quite difficult to read. I'd recommend darkening the background significantly. For the resume, putting the entire thing in a specialty font again hurts readability. The harder something is to read the less likely someone is to bother reading it, especially when they have to spend all day poring over submitted portfolios and resumes. Stick with something like Arial or Verdana for paragraphs of text. Other than that it's a nice clean site with quality work to show, best of luck on the job hunt!
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Really dig the Cryo chamber.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated website again. Took all critz and fixxed up things. Went back to old layout without lightbox.

@shape - Hey thanks for the suggestions and point out of the artifacts. I went back with my old layout as it seems lots of people dont like lightbox and i dont want people turned off before they even see my work :)

@jett12 - thanks, good old spelling :p

@fly_soup - thanks, glad you liked it.

@Haiasi - Agreed with lightbox prob not the best idea so I scrapped it. Weird though I have always been able to right click save with lightbox. And thanks.

@AshleyTayles - Ha thanks Ashley, I always like seeing prop sheets to :)

@Mazvix - Fixxed the normals on the chair. About the tree though what would you suggest I do to improve it? Or do you just not like the whole peice in its self?

@Minotaur0 - thats strange, checked with some friends and it seems to be up for them. Hope that it being down dosnt happen with a potential empolyer ><

@ZackF - Thanks man, solid work yourself! Totally agreed with all your crits so I changed all of them. Good luck yourself on the job hunt.

@PixelGoat - Thanks man :)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    The change you made by removing lightbox has now made your portfolio top notch. I don't think there is a single thing I could say. Excellent work :)!
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    not much to crit man
    really nice work, really like the props
  • duck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duck polycounter lvl 10
    great looking portfolio man. would like to see different angles on the lab. three first are very similiar
  • .Murder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    simply sexy dude, love it.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks guys, glad you like the changes. Thanks for all the feedback to help it get there :)