Home General Discussion

Edmund McMillen is sick/no insurance

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
Edmund McMillan, the creator of Gish, Aether, Coil, Super Meat Boy, Time Fkuc, et al. just had surgery, and has no insurance. I figured I would do my best to get the word out. You can check on updates here:

http://twitter.com/supermeatboy

You can donate here:

http://bit.ly/D7i5b

Here's wishing him a speedy recovery.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Must... not... make... bitter remarks... to make... people.. hate me.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Obama to the rescue!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Obama to the rescue!
    Watch out for those silly repubs!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man you guys are so funny! But you know what would be really funny? If you clever guys got sick, and there was nothing your doctor could do for you and you died!

LOLOLOLOL!

Getting sick is not very funny, no matter if you are insured or not.

If you guys don't know who Ed is, or don't like his games, fine. You don't need to post your retarded mumbling in here.

If you want to support people who are trying to make a living by making the games they want to make without compromises then maybe you would be interested in helping him out.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    please no offense, but why would I send money to a random paypal account.
  • Krynn72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, nobody has really made any jokes about him or his condition, i dont see why you're so upset. And if you expected people here to donate money to him because hes uninsured and in the games industry, you're pretty naive. I'm uninsured and working in the games industry, but i wouldnt go asking for donations to pay my bills. Nor would I expect anyone to care about my medical expenses at all because there is literally millions of others in the US alone with the same problems.

That said, I hope he gets well and things work out for him. We're in tough times.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    here's a little more of the story, the tweets suck for actual info.

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=99464
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    please no offense, but why would I send money to a random paypal account.

Because it is the one he listed on his Twitter feed in the first link. Also, for the stated reasons in the first post.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krynn72 wrote: »
    I dont see why you're so upset.

I am not so much upset as I am annoyed that people are posting off-topic stuff in my thread.
    Krynn72 wrote: »
    If you expected people here to donate money to him because hes uninsured and in the games industry, you're pretty naive.

Actually, I was thinking it made sense to donate money to a person whose free software you enjoyed, so that they could make more of it. I donated to Jogshy because xNormal is fucking awesome and I donated to Ed too because his games are fucking awesome. It is not that complicated.
  • Steviant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I might be opening myself up to all sorts of criticism here, but is medical insurance that expensive in America? I have it myself here in the UK, despite the NHS, and its not as expensive as people seem to think it is. Is insurance really that difficult to get?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Steviant wrote: »
    Is insurance really that difficult to get?

Pre-existing conditions.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, I might be opening myself up to all sorts of criticism here, but is medical insurance that expensive in America? I have it myself here in the UK, despite the NHS, and its not as expensive as people seem to think it is. Is insurance really that difficult to get?

400 a month or so for a decent single plan?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    about insurance costs:
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/health/2009-09-15-insurance-costs_N.htm

"The average cost of a family policy offered by employers was $13,375 this year"

Double that if you are having to pay for that with no help from your employer.

My deductible is $1,000-- ie, even though I have insurance, if anything serious happens I still have to pay a hefty chunk of change.

minimum wage yearly income in the US = $15,080 before taxes
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was pointing out that apparently Obama intends to fix these kinds of problems.
    (Off Topic as it may be)
    Also, in the link to the Nintendo site, it seems that he's home, and resting up.
    At any rate, It would be super if I had money to give to this most noble cause (I don't) so all i'm able to do is hope that other people with thicker wallets are willing to throw some cash his way.
    And yeah, it really is a shitty situation.
    (on the subject of pre-existing conditions..)
    Did you know that Domestic Abuse is often considered one? Fucked up.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

In the US if you're not sucking the corporate cock ( the way I do, 9-5 mon-fri) then you're absolutely fucked. It's not a little accident, it's been carefully arranged to do this to people, as a lesson to everyone else: Quit your 9-5, and you'll die penniless on the street after your first medical problem.

He took a risk, and the worst happened. I'll be donating.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    OK, before this even gets close to ugly, no more about the state of public health care in the United States. This thread is for donations for a member of the community that is sick, uninsured and asking for help. If you want to help, donate. If you don't want to help, don't and be done with it. Please.
  • thatnumpty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    400 a month or so for a decent single plan?

AETNA's basic plan would cost me something like $900 a month here in NY, i was like "uh.... thats really expensive. i want the basic plan"..."yes, that is the basic plan, sir"...*click*
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Sounds more like he's doing fine recovering, just that he doesn't have insurance to cover the costs. Its not like he's sick or dying or anything....
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, at least he's doing alright, but ouch on rushing out of the hospital early just to save cash.

I wonder why he wouldn't take out a plan when he isn't connected to a company with benefits. Isn't personal insurance tax-deductible in the US?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly wrote: »
    Wow, at least he's doing alright, but ouch on rushing out of the hospital early just to save cash.

I wonder why he wouldn't take out a plan when he isn't connected to a company with benefits. Isn't personal insurance tax-deductible in the US?

You can list it as a "deduction" if you are self-employed, which means about nothing. Maybe it will save you a couple hundred off your taxes.

To put this in perspective, my guess for a single plan without employer help based on what I am paying was about $800, and thatnumpty says $900. That is more than the sum total of ALL my other expenses combined when I was living in Oklahoma (rent, car, internet, food). It really doesn't matter how much you can get back on taxes if there is no possible way you can pay for it in the first place.

It isn't Ed's fault he doesn't have the money to pay. He is in between game releases. A lot of people don't have the money, and it isn't the point of this thread.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub wrote: »
    OK, before this even gets close to ugly, no more about the state of public health care in the United States. This thread is for donations for a member of the community that is sick, uninsured and asking for help. If you want to help, donate. If you don't want to help, don't and be done with it. Please.

good call. Didn't mean to get political in here. I donated, I think others should. that's it.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Well I wasn't trying to turn the blame back towards the guy, but personal insurance would be one of my top priorities if I ever did go full-time indie/freelance, since my body would be my #1 asset then. It does suck that it's so expensive in the US though. Down here in Singapore, you can take out a basic plan that falls within the bracket of fully tax-deductible and insures you for just under 200,000 USD.

All I can send Edmund at the moment is love and respect, for doing what he does and having the guts to do it. Inflamed bladders are usually caused by greasy hi-fat diets, so I hope he takes care better care of his body and has a long, healthy career as an indie.
    PS the third world needs your help too*
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I've enjoyed a lot of this guy's game. He's certainly brought lots of joy to to lots of people asking little in return. All the best!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but seriously fuck american health-care. Gish was awesome, can't wait for the second one. This guys gal-bladder had best fuck off and let him get better.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'm sick, unemployed and don't have any fucking insurance either. Want to send me money, too? FFS.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I donated $20 for every one of Ed's free games I played and enjoyed.

I have been in that situation too Vassago-- it sucks. Hope you get better!
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    I sent money, love the work the guys does and hope he is feeling better. This hit home a little closer then most not because of the no insurance, because I know that SUCKS, but because it was the guys gallbladder. My wife had to have hers taken out and even after insurance "paid their part" the bills totaled over 3000 or more, I can't remember. Which when you think about it is quite crazy, that was WITH health care -_-.

Edit: That was of course back when I lived in the states, I realize it might have confused people with my location saying Montreal :).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What a slacker. No job, no insurance. If I ever have surgery I'll be out that afternoon working 4 jobs to pay it off. [girly voice]"Oh I can't work I just had my gallbladder removed"[/girly voice] BS! You can dig a ditch, bus a table and push a lawn mower, in a patient gown. Hospitals really need to get tough on sick slackers no more of this lay around in bed a heal crap. Put them to work.

Nothing says cheap labor, like forced labor.

But serioulsy I hope he heals up and keeps moving forward.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    no insurance? move to canada.... just not alberta..
  • Krynn72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly wrote: »
    Down here in Singapore, you can take out a basic plan that falls within the bracket of fully tax-deductible and insures you for just under 200,000 USD.

Only two hundred thousand dollars? That IS cheap!