Home General Discussion

Amazing Linguistics lecture

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
This owns so hard. I know it's long, but it's so worth it if you are interested in the modern political landscape of the USA.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f9R9MtkpqM[/ame]

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    That was awesome. It's like I was given two dictionaries. It's a little more clear what each side is saying and why.
  • Spinks
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    i'm half an hour in and really enjoying it. even if it's yankee-centric a lot of it is really about the workings of the mind in general.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    The sad thing is Spinks, other countries are benefiting from the US's "R&D" in this area, and get to essentially try the exact same things using only the most successful policies. Look at how well most countries are currently using immigrants as a distraction from their own crooked class based ideologies. Look over there, it's a brown person! Ignore the corruption of the government and the fleecing of the common man. IMMIGRANTS!!!

That current tactic was practically invented in the US. Pit black vs white and everyone ignores that the rich are running out with all the cash.
  • MALicivs
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    amazing video indeed dude.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Nice video. I think the problem with governments generally, especially conservatives in the UK, is that proportionally they all come from the same privileged backgrounds, it means that the morale views and policies they make do not represent the mass majority of people. Their own self interests, based from Eton or those forms of institutions, creates a cycle, where it is the more privliged that decide upon the fates of those less fortunate.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting video. It's also interesting that you make a post about government scapegoating and how it's an American invention, poop, not really relevant to the video and something that's been happening since the dawn of civilization.

that aside, I was interested in cultural anthropology as a youngster and it's cool to see another point of view, I always got the impression that my professors didn't really focus much on language. I once tried to get into a discussion about linguistics with my professor but she just brushed it off pretty much saying it's a boring field.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    This applies to pretty much everything. You can call something "Moral politics" or a "linguistics lecture", because "How I think Republicans are stealing our votes by manipulating language" makes you sound as biased as you actually are.