Home General Discussion

WinXP 64 and Ram noob questions

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
alexk polycounter lvl 12
Been spending alot more time on 3d art and I'm finding my computer gets sluggish quickly. Is switching to WinXP 64 bit worth it? I'm using a Intel Duo core 2.65ghz and 2gigs of ram, but am looking to possibly upgrade to 4gigs ram.

I usually have 3ds Max open along with a game engine (UE3/Crysis), photoshop, crazybump, my browser google chrome and itunes. And I find this combination really grinds my computer, especially when switching back and forth between these apps.

Would 2 extra gigs of ram help or is this sluggishness caused by something else? Does WinXp 32 support 4gigs of ram?

I also use my computer to play games and audio production (Protools), so my main concern is will WinXP 64 be able to run everything? I've never bothered with 64 versions because I've heard they can't run alot of programs, has this changed?

What else should I consider if I want to switch to WinXP 64? My biggest worry is that after I get my ram, and install Win 64, then finding out my core programs can't install.. that would suck

Also, on a unrelated note. Does anyone using 3ds Max 2009 experience memory leaking type of problems? Like after a few hours, 3ds max will slow down drastically. Anything I do will end up happening with like a 1-2 second delay, like playing a video on super high quality with a low end computer. Google suggests I install the service pack, but I still get the problem

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think your current programs would run any better, with winxp 64, unless you got the 64 bit versions of the programs.

I've been running vista64, with 8 gig of RAM and haven't had any problems, at all running any programs. All my steam games work, Warhammer online, etc.. all work fine for me.

I'd just wait until Windows 7 came out, the 64bit version is on the same DVD.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    4gigs will work under Win XP32, but you'll only get access to around 3.6gigs. You need a 64bit O/S to use more than 4gigs.

Yes you need 64bit versions of your desired software to take advantage of the 64bit O/S.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The extra RAM will ease the pain a little, but if you're running UE3 or Crysis... they're designed to take all they can, I don't think it's going to be super smooth whatever you do...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The good thing about having a boatload of ram on an 64 bit system is that you can run multiple apps without major slowdowns from paging(have enough ram etc). So even if your 32 bits apps can only take up like 3 gigs, if you've got 8 gigs you can have a few apps running maxed out without noticable slowdown. This is where the real advantage is.

Also the only thing you should have trouble running on xp 64 is like 10 year old printers and other obscure drivers. All/nearly all 32 bit apps should work perfectly fine.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Just go for windows 7 dude, it's so much smoother than XP and a lot less of a pain than Vista.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Windows 7 sounds like a good idea, thanks.

Ram question: Do I need to buy the exact same brand and model if I want to add to what I have?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Always a good idea. Some brands don't play nice together. Also be sure to get the same model, having mismatched latencys and speeds can cause issues. You can get away with it in many cases but you wouldn't want to be one of the few who can't.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Think of NOT having itunes playing too. It's pretty much the heavier app on your system! (almost no kidding)