Home Contests & Challenges Archives

UC 2009 'END GAME' | ERASERHEAD | 3D

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
o hai PC

Background:
I’m going to be pursuing a decidedly 1930s Art Deco theme for my entry. Essentially little green men from Mars in flying saucers have invaded an alternate history version of 1930s New York City. Human resistance is basically futile, though they have managed to score one or two hits on the invading flying saucers (one crashed into the façade of a building).
I’m drawing inspiration from various sources, including Orson Welles’s 1938 War of the Worlds radio broadcast, Fritz Lang’s Metropolis, King Kong (1933), Mars Attacks, etc.

Here are some images I am drawing inspiration from:

uc1.jpg

And here is a very rough proxy blockout of what I am thinking. I’m stuck using my crappy laptop until my Alienware arrives from the movers. :\ There are some obvious scale issues in this blockout (the car to the crashed plane to the buildings).
uc_proxy.jpg

Though this is a Max block out and render, I intend to create this scene inside UE3. As I start my new job tomorrow, still need to find a permanent place to live, and still lack my desktop computer, I probably won’t have time to finish the competition this year, but I’ll work on it bit by bit just for fun.

Cheers!

P

Replies