Home General Discussion

portable media reference device

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
pior grand marshal polycounter
Hi all !

I am looking for a way to easily carry reference material around. The files are mostly pictures (JPG and PNGs, and the rare odd PSD but I can do without) and a few data files too (photoshop brushes and so on, but can be ruled out too, not a huge deal).

Let's imagine a dual screen desktop setup, with both screens connected to a computer. Now I would like a third screen, NOT connected to the main computer and not connected to any network either, to display reference images. This could either be a regular computer screen, or a TV.

For personal stuff I rely on Dropbox where I store all my current references. However this is ruled out here, for network security reasons. My goal is to be able to bring all my reference material to the office, but without it 'touching' the network.

So basically I am looking for a simple image viewing device, accepting SD cards or similar, with a screen big enough for desk display (10 inches+), or, able to output video (I mean, images at least) to a LCD screen or TV, in the form of a controllable slideshow. Requires good enough pixel resolution.

Some ideas I thought about :

Digital photo frame
+perfect desk space
+no cables
+SD card based
- some are ugly
- the image controls and browsing interface are likely to suck
- screen resolution is often mediocre (800X600)

PSP2000 connected to a screen
+component output - pretty good if used well
+ browsing is surely good (shoulder buttons and Dpad)
+ plays games too!!
- cables
- sony memory stick based
- wonder how high the output can go, most likely 720p, not that great

Ipod touch connected to a screen
+ very slim to carry around
+ navigation and browsing most likely awesome
- who knows what backwards trick you need to rely on in order to synch pictures to it (no itunes thanks)
- no removable media slot
- pictures synch is likely to perform a rescale for the tiny screen display
- setting up the TV output seems like a nightmare

Small form factor netbook
+ easy to carry around
+ no cables
+ accepts removable media cards
+ OS-based navigation, solid
+ access to all file formats
+ hassle-free synching at home since it could connect to dropbox instantly over wireless.
- eats up desk space
- might feel too much like yet another computer, and ugly too
- small screen
- would be best if the screen could be swiveled back like on a tablet PC.

Portable media player
+ integrated
+ good navigation
+ plays movies
+ card-based
- I know absolutely nothing about them
- expensive
- small screen

PS3 Slim
+ usb/cards based
+ good resolution output
+ hassle free video output
+ remote control
+ plays games and blurays!
- huge desk space
- loud and warm?
- expensive

I hope this is clear enough? Budget is around 200$ for the device itself. The price of an extra TV or screen is to be neglected since I can always use an old one.

Thanks a lot if you can help!
Help me buy STUFF hehe

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    zune HD? ^_____^
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    personally these all sound like a pain in the butt to me.

I'd vote for an extra monitor attached to your current PC, and dropbox.

as an avid dropbox user I'd remind you that you can login to your dropbox, browse your folders and view images through a web browser, without actually installing dropbox and compromising network security.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeno, I actually just came across a review of the zuneHD and it does look pretty!
    What's the actual resolution of the TV output? I assume no more than 720p? Also can it access pictures just dropped into it? instead of synched...

CMan I tried that ... but the absence of thumb preview makes it a pain. If only Cooliris was available for browser- based Dropbox I would be one step closer ....

Thanks for the input so far guys, keep it coming!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does the psp 2000 really output 720p? i'm having trouble believing that
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I meant 480p
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, psp only 480p

p- about the zune hd, you have to use the zune software to get stuff on it. and it outputs up to 720p. I had barely gotten my zune120, so the missus is not keen on me dropping a wad for the zhd.

I'd imagine that if you use iTunes heavily, you'd have some issues as far as library management are concerned.

I'd almost say get the picture frame. Although try and find one that has simple power hookups. Just less of a pain to drag around.

edit- got me curious so I looked into those picture frames. looks like the big downside on those would be navigation and then inability to zoom in/out. I'd have to recommend the PSP now. The image viewing/pan/zoom is so much smoother. Although, I haven't tried it with really large folders, yet. I'll check that out and see if it has a heart attack.

As far as the PSP mem sticks go, they aren't that expensive now. It's the new ones that are running the premium prices, I'd gather.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    not really what you are looking for, but good for collecting reference:)

I just picked up a Kodak Zi8
    -sd card
    -size of an iphone
    -store pics and vids
    -shoots 1080p@30 fps or 720p@60fps
    -$200 canadian
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure this would be good fit but there is a product by Western Digital called WD TV. It's basically a small black box you connect to a USB thumb drive or portable HD that plays tons of media formats, it does slide show plays HD video, mp3s etc. There's a new version I think that is slimmer than the one I bought a while ago. It has a typical video out and an hdmi out. The downside is that you'd have a power cable going to the box plus a video or hdmi cable. It is easily portable though and a fun way to lug a lot of media around in a small form factor. It's worth a look I guess. I bought my WD TV unit at Best Buy for 100 usd.

I forgot to mention that you control it with a small remote, it's tiny and fits in the palm of your hand, but if you lose it... :(
    oh the remote has fast forward, pause, play, you can zoom adjust aspect etc. WD releases periodic software updates too.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Ipod touch connected to a screen
    + very slim to carry around
    + navigation and browsing most likely awesome
    - who knows what backwards trick you need to rely on in order to synch pictures to it (no itunes thanks)
    - no removable media slot
    - pictures synch is likely to perform a rescale for the tiny screen display
    - setting up the TV output seems like a nightmare
    When you sync there is an option to leave photos at original res and not resize. There still is the issue of a very tiny browsing window but if you use it to transport photos it can preserve the res. Not sure about other sync options besides itunes. That right there would be the biggest deal breaker...
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    But Pior, you can have a thumbnail view!

All you have to do is drop your reference images into the "photo" folder in your dropbox. Then from the web interface you can change your view to a thumbnail view.

In addition it automatically makes galleries, which you can right click -> copy a link to.

look i made this one for you; https://www.getdropbox.com/gallery/80352/1/just4pior?h=1fb489

I'm telling you man. Dropbox ftw.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think dropbox syncs with iphones now too... ya know in case you're down with the mac coodies in your ear.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I would go for one of these but thats more cuz I like netbooks :P Still, its fairly small, easy to carry and can double as a PC if needed. Oh and the radeon x1250 can play a few games too :P

[Edit]

Sorry, forgot the link before:poly142:
  • 2cool4school
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, used laptop off ebay?
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about a used internet tablet off ebay?

There are these USB monitors that you can get but I guess you'd still need something to plug it into so not really a viable solution

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/bfa3/