Character - Lead Guitar Player

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Dado Almeida polycounter lvl 12
Hey all,

Since I did a quickly rigging in this one, I´d like to show some progress here.
Last week a band ask me to make a concept-art for one of the players (it´s a G.Hero gameplay thing) but I got it further, and did the 3D character already. They love. : )

I don´t know the guy personally, but after watch some photos, I tried to give to him a more modern metal look, not much headbanging, calm actions, more Hetfield type than Angus.

It´s a pretty basic mesh (~7k), just diffuse and alpha map (1024); but at the end I´ll run just with the color map, and to model that hair spikes.
dalmeida_guitaplayer3.jpg

dalmeida_guitaplayer2.jpg?w=400
wires

dalmeida_guitaplayer1.jpg?w=400
the concept; based on some photos.

dalmeida_guitaplayer4.jpg?w=500
quick poses; RT shader by Xoliul's
But at the end, what I´d like to hear from you guys, sincerely?

- Would you choose him as a player ?
- Anything that can I improve technically (mesh, topology) ?
- Anything that I can improve artistically (colors, proportion, details)?
- Is there a way to anti-aliasing in 3ds max viewport ?
- Is there places to non-normal-mapped things in the industry? lol... I love
to back make this things.

That´s it. Not my play anymore, but it´s like to ride a bike - you never forget. ;)

Replies

• bounchfx
    I like this a lot!
    but I'm a sucker for all music based stuff.

however, he looks like a sellout that I'd want to deck in the face. that's just my pref though! :D
    great work
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged polycounter lvl 10
    this rocks :) like the renders with the rim light. Looks like it would be really good in a wii game
  • Cacophony
    ey man looks great! im quite new so i can't help on the technical aspect...but the style you chose really works well with 'rockstar' in my opinion. Cartoon petrucci man.

ah sellout?? haha beermetal solo ftw.
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Yey, I got some feedbacks... really like to hear some more.

bounchfx: glad you like it...don´t punch the guy. He´s looks "cool" but´s a true rocker.

ged: yep, the fx and the "plastic fell" really looks like a WII asset. Still trying to figure out how to antialiasing that effect.

cacophony: yeah, it looks like John Petrucci aswell. Thank for the input.

And I forgot to link this turn. Just to you guys check the overall shape:
    dalmeida_guitaplayer360.gif
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 8
    What Max version are you using? In Max 2010 you can just enable AA in driver settings. In 2008 you can force it through graphics drivers (best option i think). 2009 has no options to use AA.

Pretty nice use of my shader, I'd love to showcase this in my shader examples gallery if you create your final shot with it too :) Let me know if you'd be ok with that!
  • obeyurnapster
    Offline / Send Message
    obeyurnapster polycounter lvl 7
    cool character , remind me a bit Steve Lukather, guitar hero and lead of TOTO
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok! Sounds lame to bump a topic just for two images, but I figure out the aliasing stuff...thanks to Xoliul.

dalmeida_guitaplayer6.jpg?w=400

dalmeida_guitaplayer5.jpg?w=400
    Xoliul: thanks for the input dude, I got the 2010 trial and it works fine. Anyway, that version looks like the worst 3ds max ever...my gosh how slow it is in my PC. Sent you an email with that two images (bigger), it´s a pleasure to help you.

obeyurnapster: thanks man. Glad you like it. Didn´t know how the Toto lead looks like. Yeah. They´re similar.
  • vertexguy
    This guy is sweet...and he looks nothing like Petrucci. How about a texture map post?
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 12
    Cool stuff, nice style and level of polish! :)

I think the shader/texture on the guitar could be better though, if it's meant to be a glossy black guitar then the diffuse should be darker and the spec should be tighter.
    Right now it seems to have the texture of an old painted wooden plank which has been out in the sun for too long...
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 11
    Nice model Dado! pose and colors. One thing i wonder why you didnt use alpha for the chords? ;), you could kill lots of tris there... It just seems that you used half of the 7k just for the guitar.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 8
    Cool stuff Dado, great to see this finished with my shader! I put one of the shots in my shader gallery, with credits!

bugo: isn't the amount of tri's for the strings kinda minimal? 6 times 3 sides of 2 tri's each gives 36 tri's; hardly something to worry about, with the added benefit of no mipmap blurring at distance and the strings have depth if you look at them from an angle.
  • Mimp
    Lampoly

Excellent work, very well presented and designed character.

Would I choose him in a game? No. Because he has a boring face. There is nothing wrong with the character on a technical level, however his face doesn't say anything about his character, he looks kind of "smug" about being on stage, like the bassist from Nirvana.

Try giving him more attitude to his facial expression, or maybe make him even more boring, and give him a radiohead style.

I think the problem is that he looks very generic in terms of the music style. In the Guitar Hero games (which I assume he's aimed at) all of the characters are very stereotypical, and OTT versions of the people you associated with different styles of music.

This guy looks like he is in Creed, or Maroon 5, and nobody wants to play their songs... not even them :)

Again, very good piece of work, these are only slight points which I've exaggerated so as to convey what I'm thinking. Keep it up.
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks a lot for the last inputs guys...

Mimp: dude, very solid critique from you. Like it. At first I myself don´t like the "simple style" of the guy, I mean, I tried to stylize him a little more but I couldn´t get rid too much off of the real one. Anyway, that´s no excuse to try push it a little further in the actual character, I will think what can I improve. Thanks, for real.

Xoliul: glad you like it. Keep certain that most of the coolness of that shots are because of your work. "Next-gen is equal = a programmer who save artist asses."

bugo: yeah man, you´re right. As I don´t have a direct programmer feedback, I guess to model the strings (simple cubes) would cost less than an alpha map for the guitar. After read your input I tried to gather something from the GH games. Looks like the strings are directly painted in the guitar. Can be an option to try.

Mop: since you´re a guitar player, I couldn´t try to work on your advice. Absolutely right. For an ebony type, the surface was very matte-looking.
    dadoalmeida_guitarfix.jpg?w=500
    vertexguys: thans man. Glad you feel he´s not like Pettruci. it´s not him dude. ;-) And about the texture maps. Here we go:

dadoalmeida_guitarmaps.jpg?w=500
    That´s it. Thx people. Let´s work.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 11
    Xoliul wrote: »
    bugo: isn't the amount of tri's for the strings kinda minimal? 6 times 3 sides of 2 tri's each gives 36 tri's; hardly something to worry about, with the added benefit of no mipmap blurring at distance and the strings have depth if you look at them from an angle.

Even Rockband used alphas, 1 bit alpha dont get any problems with mapping I believe. But the model itself is great. I was not saying only the chords but the entire Guitar itself, heh.
  • Cacophony
    http://www.concertshots.com/images/cs-JohnPetrucci2-Atlanta71901.JPG

saw this picture some time before your post, lampoly. the glasses and beard on your model did appear to resemble him (to me) at first =). eh, it was a quick remark...
    but hey, if you dont mind I'd love to know which guitarists out there did inspired this guy.
    the guitar as well turned out great man
  • Onuris
    Looks good, minor nitpicks on the guitar though. You seem to have the strings going to the wrong tuners, should be like: Les-Paul-Supreme-LE-head-lg.jpg
    And the pick guard, that screw that goes through it connects to a metal piece that come out the side, like: N_lpstudiofeat6.jpg

Also, your bridge looks a little too wide, or the neck is too thin, one of the two.
    Other than that, it looks good.

I've actually been working on modeling a Les Paul of my own or I wouldn't have noticed those things, so they're not really anything major.