Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pimping the FX.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
Hey fellas.

Put these effects together in the last 2 days. Just wanted to share them.

I'll explain my approach when designing these spell effects.

The rune placement represents casting time and warning that the spell is going to be cast. I figured it would be cool to see a visual casting element instead of watching a bar slide across the screen.

Apologies for resultion, i havn't put together the highres stuff yet.

www.virtuosicstudios.com/newart/Fire_Vid.mov

www.virtuosicstudios.com/newart/Glyph.mov

www.virtuosicstudios.com/newart/Ice_Vid.mov

Replies

• turpedo
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good Virtuosic, my favorite one is the ice effect.
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    cool effects, wondering if they are hard to do or how actually they are made?
  • pyromania
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    I like the fire effect but the timing seems too quick. If there was a slight pause before the fire actually appears you could see the completed glyph circle.
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. They are made in unreal cascade. They are pretty tough to make, considering you have to make the textures and shader for each emitter.

Pyromania - Ya man i wanted to have the glyph circle finish glow really bright, then erupt, but i just don't have the control i really want with the cascade system. Either that or I'm not good enough to understand how to do complex animation with it yet.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    nice cascade effects :)

have you thought about giving the flames some movement in the texture using a bump offset or using a noise texture. Also, have you thought about making a fire animated tile texture, that way they would all look different when they spawn.

I like the ice fx, I've been trying to make ice grow from bottom to top of the player but I couldn't get the look I wanted, still working on it.
  • iWeReZ
    The ice is niiiiccceee, But how come it goes in a straight line ? why not a circle like the fire.
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Lee.

I actually used a bump offset in the texture. The texture also tiles horizontally. :-)

here's the shader i made - Fireshadertree.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I'd REALLY like to see a bit of an al-round tutorial or walkthrough on how you went on to create these! Ingame FX really interest me but I find it so abstract to grasp...

In other words, awesome work!
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I'd REALLY like to see a bit of an al-round tutorial or walkthrough on how you went on to create these! Ingame FX really interest me but I find it so abstract to grasp...

In other words, awesome work!

^ Second this. Always liked the fantasy/runic stuff, and this is some top notch stuff. Would love to understand how you made it all work.

I'm guessing that shader is just for the fire FX?
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    When i get some extra time i'll be happy to do a walkthrough of how i got everything working. I'd say that it's 30% setup and 70% tweaking untill it's just right.

For instance, the fire effect has 7 different particle emitters in that particle system. I had to make a shader for each one that represented how i wanted that particular effect to work. Once i had all the shaders made, it was just a matter of plugging in the properties and fine tuning them till i got the desired effect. It's a long process but it doesn't feel long when you are making awesome effects.
  • jacob07777
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man these turned out really good, like I could actually see them in a game or something.

Were they just for fun or do you plan on using them in some kind of mod with unreal?
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    They were for a quick FX reel I was putting together to apply at a studio in california. I dont plan on using them for anything
  • Cubik
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    It has been a while since I used Cascade, but a couple of quick crits (I'm assuming that you are going for a semi-cartoony/Diablo 3 look):

Ice:
    Not sure why you present this in a different setting, doesn't really seem to add anything.
    You could try a bit of distortion on the crystals and varied their size a bit more. There is no real depth to the shader since it doesn't distort anything.
    A cubemap for some fake reflections.
    There is no real punch or shockwave here, adding one radiating along the ground plane and maybe a spherical one in the area around the meshes could look nice.
    You could try adding some frost that grows out from the crystals along the ground.
    The glyphs just fades in, they don't really glow or does anything special.
    The snow/frost quads are just a simple texture, align them so that they radiate outwards from the main body of crystal and put a simple panner on the material (you need to tone down the rotation) would really give some extra life to it.
    No collision on the fragments, get a few to stop on the ground or bounce.

Fire:
    Same thing here with the glyphs, nothing really happens they just fade in.
    Learn some basic Matinee and add some scripted lighting, it would really help here.
    More speed on the panners in the fire material, it fades so quickly that the fire look stationary.
    Add some more pulse to the embers flying out from the centre. It would cool to have them smolding on the ground.
    The lava cracks just appears, I would tile a texture horizontally along a flat tubesphaped mesh
    and add a panner that starts in the centre and grows vertically towards the edges, it would look more like the fire was spreading outwards. The cracks also fades very quickly but I guess that is because you want to play the effect two times.

Glyph:
    My favorite (I'm a sucker for subtle distortions).
    Try added one more circle and rotate it in the other direction and fade it before it goes to far from the centre.
    The circles disappears a bit abruptly.
    Again, lightning.
    Maybe a subtle flat glow pulsing out from the centre?
    The centre glowsprite tornado is nice, you could try and add an extra emitter with some slowly upwards accelerating glowsprites.
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips Qubik. I will apply them to my future artwork.

Updated FX reel - http://www.virtuosicstudios.com/FX

WIP.

www.virtuosicstudios.com/FX/groundexplosion.mov
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Aw man, I had just typed up a really long in-depth crit and my computer crashed as I was submitting it. I don't have time now, but I'll get back here to crit later.

btw, nice to see more guys into FX around here. There aren't many of us around polycount :)
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    That blast looks great dude! I have probably watched the video a dozen times by now.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    How do you do that slow-mo effect in Unreal ? Beam looks totally bad-ass!
    Does it actuall leave a hole in the floor? You probably worked with pre-made meshes, maybe even rayfire baking ?
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Maybe it's the slowmo track in matinee's director track.

Great effects btw.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Guys ^_^

Yep, The tiles are just meshes designed to blend in with the ground, and the chunks of earth below the tiles were baked with rayfire. The rest is just a bunch of complex physics sims.

This tool is going to change everything.