Home General Discussion

Valhalla Rising

Nick Carver
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
I'm pretty excited about this film. I'm a big fan of atmospheric, historical movies like Apocalypto, The New World, Aguirre etc. and this looks proper moody. Plus, Vikings be awesome. Check out the trailer here:

http://twitchfilm.net/news/2009/04/ladies-and-gentlemen-the-vikings-have-arrived.-the-valhalla-rising-trailer-.php

Review here:

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2009/09/tiff-09-review-nicolas-winding-refns.html

It's being shown at a few festivals and hopefully will get a release early next year.

Replies

• Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Not familiar with the director, but hard to pass up a good looking viking movie; kind of getting a low key robert e howard vibe from it, just needs a better name, ek.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Didnt spark my interest at all, and the ties to scandinavian vikings seemed barely present :(
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Pusher 1 and 2 is great so i have atleast some faith in this movie even if the trailer didnt really do it for me. From what i hear its a very visual experience with very little dialogue and lots of moody environment shots so that could be cool i guess.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    PixelGoat wrote: »
    Didnt spark my interest at all, and the ties to scandinavian vikings seemed barely present :(

really?
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    From what i hear its a very visual experience with very little dialogue and lots of moody environment shots so that could be cool i guess.

I really like this approach to historical film-making. I love how films like Apocalypto and The New World really immerse you believably in a time period as if you are a spectator during that era. I find a lot of recent so-called 'historical epics' (Troy, Alexander, Kingdom of Heaven) to be horribly stiff and uninvolving. I'd much rather see a Terrence Malick style piece, although I can understand why some are put off by his meandering approach to narrative.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    I find a lot of recent so-called 'historical epics' (Troy, Alexander, Kingdom of Heaven) to be horribly stiff and uninvolving. QUOTE]

Agreed. But I'll say this, the trailer wasn't very good as a trailer; that says nothing about the film, it's just I can see it putting people off; but if you just focus on the few segments of whats going on, I like what I see, very low key which for this kind of stuff is to my preference.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc wrote: »
    Agreed. But I'll say this, the trailer wasn't very good as a trailer; that says nothing about the film, it's just I can see it putting people off; but if you just focus on the few segments of whats going on, I like what I see, very low key which for this kind of stuff is to my preference.

the trailer did look a little... hollywoodish...

kinda the same thing that they did with "elite squad" (tropa the elite), the brazilian movie; if you see the american trailer it looks like a completely different movie.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    btw this trailer looks somehow much better

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZeKRUzXqTA[/ame]
  • 2cool4school
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Difficult to call. Scottish accents? Why?
    That character better be from Scotland.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it was filmed in scotland, and vikings were all over europe, so maybe..
    I mean, I think its supposed to be in scotland, because those initial landscapes.. those are very scottish.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    This looks fucking radical, like Swat-Kats-radical-squadron radical :D
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If I remember my high school history class rightly, the Vikings invaded Great Britain and then were later pushed back into Scotland by the Normans. I might have that a bit out of whack. It has been over a decade now.

Regardless, the movie is about a viking joining up with a group of converted christian warriors in Scotland, or something to that effect.