Home General Discussion

Glorious Coffee.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
brandoom polycounter lvl 13
coffee_-_is_the_planet_shaking_or_is_it_just_me.jpg

How much of this sweet nectar do you drink a day?

I think coffee and video game production pretty much go hand in hand. I usually drink a modest 6cups - according to the coffee maker - or 3 actual cups.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I have at least 2 Medium Mild coffee's from Blendz. With the odd energy drink mixed in there depending on the night before.

<3 me some coffee.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I first got into this industry I was terrible: ~ 6 mugs a day.

Now I have an espresso in the mornings when I don't go to the gym (so maybe 3/7 days a week), and sometimes a coffee late afternoon if it's going to be a late night and I'm fading (maybe once a week).

I feel much better. But I do love sipping those espressos in the morning when I can.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Normally only a cup, black, for me a morning. The office coffee is made super strong..
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    5 or 6 cups

2 or 3 actual mugs.

It's a definite addiction. I'm gonna wean myself off of it eventually.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think I will ever drink coffee... so for those (like myself) wtf can we do to last those late nights without this "sweet nectar" as you call it?

AND NO ENERGY DRINKS!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    for some reason I can't stand the taste of coffee too bitter, all though I am addicted to chai latte's...
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    dont feel right without starting the day off with a 4 shot latte from JJBean.
    mmmmmm coffees
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I drink a ridiculous amount of office doo-doo coffee.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Jason: If you don't like coffee, try black tea.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    I don't think I will ever drink coffee... so for those (like myself) wtf can we do to last those late nights without this "sweet nectar" as you call it?

AND NO ENERGY DRINKS!

Simple man, meth!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17

AND NO ENERGY DRINKS!

Any tea. You may have to drink a lot to get the equivalent amount of caffine, but it's a great alternative.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Usually, 1 "venti" Americano every morning. Throughout the day, usually 1 or 2 other mugs of coffee. I used to be really bad, years ago, topping off at around 8 - 10 a day. I've actually gotten to the point where, if I don't have "any" coffee, I'll probably get sick.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I usually get through four large mugs a day (black, quarter-teaspoon of sugar), and I literally just bought a thermos so I can carry some with me at all times. I can stop anytime I want, though.

Don't usually bother with energy drinks, though - the highs and crashes seem more extreme than with even strong coffees. Though I did hear a commercial recently for this flavorless caffeine additive you can add to any drink called Fein (not available in stores), but I can't seem to find any information on it at all. Maybe the FDA decided it was too dangerous.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    2-3 a day to be alert and productive. Kicking into overdrive is 5-6 cups for me. I've had as many as 20 cups in a day, though that's also with half-caffeinated coffee beans.

I'd be pretty miserable without that wonderful beverage.

I do enjoy tea, but it's often got to be sweetened too much to be enjoyable (imo) and I just flat out prefer the taste of coffee over it, anyways..
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    tea, milk no sugar ta very much; just as God intended it
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    havnt any of you developed any serious stomach problems with downing this much coffee?
    I used to have 2-3 a day when i was going through college but rite around the end of my final year i developed an ulcer and had to really cut it back. Nowadays i'l have maybe 2 or 3 cups a week at most or else i start to feel like shit. I find more than anything a good diet and light exercise gives me more stable and constant energy throughout the day
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Yeah, I started getting pains a few years ago. Back then though, I was drinking lots of sugar and since then have pretty much just been drinking it black. Seems to have helped me at least :)
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I've gotten a lot better. I'm down to usually 1/2 to a full 16oz rockstar per day (eq to about 2-4 shots of espresso or so). Though some days I'll get a venti starbucks iced doubleshot (6 shots of espresso over ice with choice of milky product over it) in addition to the regular.

My highest amount I think was something along the lines of 2g of caffeine over the course of a day via beverages. 2 or 3 24oz rockstars and a few starbucks things.

One shell station near a place I worked had "wild buzz" energy drink in the soda fountain. :) That was great. effectively a 44 or 60oz redbull for under $2. Didn't last long though.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    rooster wrote: »

Right on :)
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    1 mug of the office swill first thing in the morning and usually in the afternoon around 3pm a few of us will make a coffee run to one of the local shops for the good stuff. I drink it black, no sugar, the way the gods intended. I miss my Tim Hortons something fierce. =\
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mostly 4 big mugz,

and twice a week or so i go out for real fresh coffee, and get like this big soupbowl of coffee,
    think its like 0.4 liter or so XD
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

AND NO ENERGY DRINKS!
    Well... you could always crush up some No Doz (caffeine tablets) and put the powder in whatever drink you want.

And yea I loves me the Joe... If I can see through it you're not brewing it right. If its too bitter then you're drinking the wrong stuff, just like beer.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18

LOL

the chinese and indians dont put milk it in..
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I dont drink coffee. I find plain old water helps keep me awake.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I can only cope with one coffee with my breakfast. Anything more than that and I lose my concentration and start bouncing off the walls.

I drink tea for most of the day.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    One "grande" latte every morning. I'm a shameless Starbucks addict. The folks behind the counter where I go are pretty awesome as well so it's nice to say hello every morning and occasionally shoot the breeze about upcoming game releases.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    rolfness wrote: »
    LOL

the chinese and indians dont put milk it in..

that's OK, I am neither Chinese nor Indian
    edit: aha! or do you in fact mean that God is
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think about 5/6 cups a day, not so big cups tho. Usually one with getting up, after lunch and after dinner, I think also @ 11 and 4, makes sense, tho I'm not sure how much I keep to that rythm.

I can't stand sugar in my coffee though, milk is okay, but sugar just ruins the bittery edgyness.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    slipsius wrote: »
    I dont drink coffee. I find plain old water helps keep me awake.

Me to stefan... also knowing that you are downstairs keeps me... up... as well!!!

OMGZ GAY SAUCE!
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    If you guys want some powerful coffee get 'ca phe sua da' which is Vietnamese coffee. Super concentrated caffeine and tastes great. Try to get it from a Vietnamese place though cause Americanized versions are usually weak.

I don't even really drink coffee but this stuff gets me. It should be the official drink of crunch. One cup of this and you could go a month. :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I have one small fresh ground coffee in the morning (from the machine at work) with a little hot milk in it.

Sometimes one in the afternoon too depending how I'm feeling. I used to get lattes from Starbucks until I realised that I'd save £10 per week if I just made it at work... works out about £500 per year, serious money!

Also the Starbucks latte has way more calories than the stuff I make, so it's better for me as well as saving money...
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    I stick with hot chocolate :). yummie
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    coffee calms me down, I am pretty hyper anyway:)
    drink about 6 to 8 cups of tea or coffee a day
  • TheBat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheBat polycounter lvl 10
    I only drink tea when i am ill, and try to drink up to 2 cups a day, usually this turns out to be 6 cups or so. It used to be less when the coffee machine in the office was bad. Now it has fresh beans, so this makes it harder to resist.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    havnt any of you developed any serious stomach problems with downing this much coffee?
    I used to have 2-3 a day when i was going through college but rite around the end of my final year i developed an ulcer and had to really cut it back.

Ulcers aren't caused by things like this, although we used to think so. It's a bacteria that does it. Some mad Aussie guy won the Nobel prize after drinking a big old flask of the little bastards, then curing himself with antibiotics.

Anyhoo, I had a wierd cup the other day. The beans have passed through a cat-like thingy called a "civet" I think,In other words, cat-shit coffee. Wasn't worth the seven quid price tag, I have to say....
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    almost none... latte's I can drink a grande from starbucks with no problems... a tall americano or mild, I'll forget about and only get about halfway into it. And of those I'll have maybe... 3 a week... tops.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    An AMT Maya in the morning if I'm feeling flush, otherwise the ground coffee at work isn't bad, just black straight out the machine. Maybe need to cut down though, I drink enough some days to make my eyelids twich. :poly121:
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Ulcers aren't caused by things like this, although we used to think so. It's a bacteria that does it. Some mad Aussie guy won the Nobel prize after drinking a big old flask of the little bastards, then curing himself with antibiotics.

Yeah, thats why its not a huge problem anymore, nor was it the cause, but oily beans and that kinda jazz defenintely did not help when i was really feeling it, and when i did get better i just started feeling better by cutting back. I stick to loose leaf tea nowadays for the most part, but man, dig those beans still
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Anyhoo, I had a wierd cup the other day. The beans have passed through a cat-like thingy called a "civet" I think,In other words, cat-shit coffee. Wasn't worth the seven quid price tag, I have to say....

I love coffee - I'm hardly a connoisseur or anything - but I only heard about this the other day. I don't care if the coffee beans pass through this beast undigested - there's no fucking way I'm drinking coffee that's been shit by anything.

I wouldn't drink coffee made from beans picked out of fucking unicorn crap.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I get a 20oz coffee on my way to work, with 4 shots of espresso dumped in it for a little extra oomph, and a splash of cream to cut it a little
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Bah! Caffeine is amazing, but only for a day...it seems to wear me out really fast. I tend to over exert myself trying to walk on water, then after 12 straight badass hours my humanity finally hits me. The collapse is something terrible, and I tend to be burned out the following day. No amount of coffee seems to bring back either. Sad.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Mostly drink Tea, goes well with crumpets :D.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Ark wrote: »
    Mostly drink Tea, goes well with crumpets :D.

Mmmm, strumpets.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    that's OK, I am neither Chinese nor Indian
    edit: aha! or do you in fact mean that God is

god indeed is a chinaman
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    1-3 cups in the morning. If I am awake in the morning, and at work somewhere where it is already brewed. I don't have a huge need for caffeine and feel weird drinking coffee later in the day or at night.

Most of the time I wake up in the afternoon and have no trouble staying awake anyway...
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I do like coffee, but I try to limit how much I drink as I don't think my digestive system appreciates it in large doses. I prefer a good ol' mug of tea and a Hobnob or two, if you're offering. I've smuggled a box of Twinings English Breakfast into the US and I intend to continue to drink it religiously at 11 and 3 just as I did back in Blighty.

/salutes cosy-covered teapot.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Careful Nick, there were 2 tea cosy related deaths last year, apparently...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ra! raa raa ra
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Ferg wrote: »
    I get a 20oz coffee on my way to work, with 4 shots of espresso dumped in it for a little extra oomph, and a splash of cream to cut it a little

lol.. just a little extra oomph? Sound like a drink that would keep me awake for a week.