Home Technical Talk

A little Maya help?

Not the first thread on the subject, but I was hoping that some of you more Maya-savvy folks out there could spare a minute to enlighten the not-so-elucidated on some basic niggles for someone making a more serious move from Max to Maya. In no particular order:

1. Is there a script or native function for just selecting a bunch of faces and detaching them to a separate shell within the same object?

2. How does one align one object's position/rotation to another?

3. Sometimes, an edge just doesn't want to be set to Soft, staying Hard no matter what, verts welded and all. This makes me sad. Any ideas?

4. Is there a numeric UV coordinate input, for offsetting mirrored UV shells at baketime etc?

5. Is there a vertex transform type in, in world space coords, for when you for instance want to make sure to set the centerpoints of a mirrored mesh to absolute 0?

6. How does one retain the bake setup for a lopoly and corresponding hipoly meshes? As is the settings disappear each time the Transfer Maps-window is closed... I feel like I'm missing something.

7. When rotating multiple objects, how do I rotate them around a common pivot as opposed to around their local pivots?

8. Is there any way to automatically delete associated verts when deleting edges?

9. Is there a Maya-equivalent of "edge constraint" in Max? "Slide Edge Tool" is an incomprehensible mess that surely isn't made for humans.

10. Is there a face-select-by-angle-threshold a la max, or maybe a script to do it?

11. Is there a stable way of doing booleans? Box-minus-box works, something more complex and everything seems to vaporize.

I'm using Maya 2010 (jap ver) - bare with me if some of this is obvious or if there are scripts out there I should've known about. Much obliged to any help!

Replies

• stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    1: Nope, I dont see a working option in extract to do that. It will extract them in there respectable chunks, but you will have to recombine all the chunks. Duplicate face seems to do the same thing.

2: yup! grab your object, hit "insert" move you pivot where you want it, and hit "insert" again.

3: Hapens alot. Set the whole mesh to "set to face" under normals options. then resmooth your edges. Dunno why, but normals get stuck sometimes.

4: Not that ive found. Easy work around is, duplicate your Lowpoly, and move the overlaped uv's off to no mans land, then bake with that. Keeping your original lowpoly's uv's as normal.

5: not that I can find. I try to build at the 0,0,0 at all times and work on the grid. So if i need to mirror its simple as snaping my pivot to a grid point.

6: It should retain it even though the window closes. You can also hit the "bake" button and it wont close the window. Id strongly suggest baking with xnormal anyways. Mayas bakes are.....less than desirable with out a good amount of time.

7: You can group them and then they will share a common pivot. Just make sure once you get done moving shit around you go into your outliner and remove them from the group. Maya gets bitchy after a while with a dirty outliner.

8: Grab your edge and under "edit mesh" hit "delete edge/vertex" I use this a ton, so i just maped it to a key.

9: nah, your fucked on that one =( I tried a few scripts but nothing works well, or even close to the efficiency of max in that respect.

10: Not sure what your asking.

11: No clue. I never use booleans just b/c they leave shit for geo behind.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    "Extract Face" with the Seperate-Option disabled does this.

Select Object(s), then the Target Object last - now select the Translation/Rotation Values in the Channel-Box, right-click and choose "Duplicate Values".

Try "Unlock Normals"

There should be 2 input fields in the UV Editor's Toolbar, toggle the little Button that looks like "0 Divided by Rotation" on so it becomes relative. Then you can input a U/V Value and hit Enter on each field to offset the UVs by the respective value.

The 3 input fields in the Top Maya Toolbar do this, you can change the way they behave with the little Icon to the left of them.

Maybe the "Select -> Select using Constraints" Menu has what you are looking for, but you need to select some components first for it to show anything.