Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mosque Enviroment for Crysis

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
whats up everyone. Been slowly putting together this scene and Ive gotten to a point where I'd love to share and hopefully get some good crits!

block out of what iam trying to accomplish.

msvymbersky_mosque03.jpg

msvymbersky_mosque02.jpg

Ive been looking at a lot of Jean Leon Gerome's amazing paintings and have been inspired by a couple. Mostly this one right here.

My plan of attack is to model and texture the shit out of the front building while treating the back building as filler. Ive been playing with the sandbox editor and there's nothing it cant do. Been loving it.

Anywhoo this as far as Iv gotten for completed assets. Just regular shots out of max. Nothing fancy.

msvymbersky_mosque04.jpg

msvymbersky_mosque01highb.jpg

Replies

• vcool
    Nice patters. How did you make them? Masks in Zbrush?
  • cman2k
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    been following this one mike. really awesome stuff. The dome blows my mind man....care to share your technique for that in particular?
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice stuff. The patterns are very detailed without hiding the overall shapes of the piece and making it noisy, which is a good achievement.
    Some nice diffuse/specular on this with maybe an environment map on parts which are meant to be shiny metal (gold seems likely?) would make this look awesome in real time, you can get some really nice material contrasts on stuff like this.
  • alexk
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    vcool wrote: »
    Nice patters. How did you make them? Masks in Zbrush?

I want to know this too, especially the dome. Looks great!
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Looks wicked, please share your workflow for the patterns!
  • 3DLee
    This is awesome! As everyone already said, that pattern is epic.
  • Ben Apuna
    This is really great work, the dome and entrance facade are very nice. That first pic reminds me of Assassin's Creed.
  • Orgoth02
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    the projections turned out nice. The only thing that bugs me about it is that it a way to nosie and at a distance none of that stuff is going to be readable
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks for the kind words guys. I have much more to work on, really wanting to get most of the modeling out of the way before I start texturing. I agree that I have to find a camera balance that prevents the details from reading too noisy from afar. its something that Iam working on right now. Along with the rest of the models.

Iam most concerned about the composition of the whole and how it all reads together as a cohesive scene. Any feedback or thoughts, do share!

As far as making all the deco patterns go, its really simple modeling methods I use.

To illustrate,

msvymbersky_Latticeing.jpg

• Create your cube.:)
    • Extrude your tileable pattern in an orthographic view.
    • Once you have you pattern then lattice it into shape. Iam a big fan of the Path Deform WSM modifier. Creating splines off of the desired shape then message the deco pieces into place.
    • Then after I have it into shape I duplicate the pattern as I desire.

hope that helps! any questions comments just ask. :thumbup:
  • alexk
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the explanation! So, when you are doing the pattern, are you just freestyling it or do you have an actual 2d tiling pattern that you work off of? I'm totally intrigued as to how to model these more intricate style patterns in 3d, and make them tile at the same time
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Great work. I hope you finish it.
  • Taylor Hood
    Incredibly detailed and sexeh, my friend.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Coming along nicely so far, Mike. You make me feel insignificant and sucky :(

I plan on absorbing as much information as possible next term in Phil's Max class.

I'd love to give you some crits but you are definitely my superior in modeling. Maybe when you reach the texturing phase I will have something to share.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the explanation. Can't wait to see this in Crysis :)
  • Mech
    How exactly do you properly use the Lattice modifier? It's doing some wierd things when I apply it to my mesh, looks like it's giving every edge its own geometry. Also, did you draw out all of those details using splines?
  • Disaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Disaster polycounter lvl 9
    Mech wrote: »
    How exactly do you properly use the Lattice modifier? It's doing some wierd things when I apply it to my mesh, looks like it's giving every edge its own geometry. Also, did you draw out all of those details using splines?
    You can do it all with splines in 3ds max or you could draw out paths in Adobe Illustrator and export the illustrator paths to get splines in 3ds max.
  • Diwan
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Oh damn I like this very nice patterns, I'd suggest to add some arabic script in those patterns as well.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    really great stuff but to me the large difference in detail size and density from one part of the building to another makes it lack a coherent and consistent style and feel. all the parts on their own look amazing, especially the dome but combined it feels a little bit weird. but maybe that'll change once textures are applied and when you look at it from the players perspective.
  • Mime
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    Looks amazing!
    One minor crit , maybe the doornails are a bit too big ?
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Cool modelling work mikezoo, especially like the domed roof:thumbup:
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    small little weekend update to keep myself motivated.

I haven't done anything too spectacular other than model and bake more of the necessities. After much thought about really small details vs large details, I think i have to find a better balance of the two.
    One thing i felt i needed was more wood in the scene. Even though I haven't started texturing, I already felt that I had to counter all the stone elements with some structural wood. They would protruding through the stone to better support the building. (hence the brown shapes.) Well see what happens when I start to texture.

Here's what I have though. simple max shots. Most of the mosque is baked down now, with the background building just blocked out.

msvymbersky_update02a.jpg

msvymbersky_update02b.jpg

msvymbersky_mosqueTileing.jpg
    msvymbersky_mosque_windowS.jpg

I am thinking about going back to the window. Not entirety stoked with the upper design. :thumbdown:

Despite that Iam not entirely done with all my modeling, I think Iam going to move onto texturing the main parts and see where it takes me. Perhaps I'll find something new.
  • Vonklaus
    mikezoo wrote: »

I am thinking about going back to the window. Not entirety stoked with the upper design. :thumbdown:

yea, I agree, feels a little too superhero-emblem-ish. Another thing to consider is having rectangular pieces on the sides of the window instead of the cylindrical ones. I think they look a little out of place.

I am really excited to see more!
  • P442
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    dude, this shit is fuckin sweet!
  • Scyfon
    Offline / Send Message
    Scyfon polycounter lvl 9
    That is one grand mosque O_O
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Pure poly sex! How could I have missed this?! Thanks for the mini tuto too, that is going to make certain tasks so much easier. More!
  • neolith
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    mikezoo wrote: »
    • Create your cube.:)
    • Extrude your tileable pattern in an orthographic view.
    • Once you have you pattern then lattice it into shape. Iam a big fan of the Path Deform WSM modifier. Creating splines off of the desired shape then message the deco pieces into place.
    • Then after I have it into shape I duplicate the pattern as I desire.

Maybe it's due to the fact that I've been sneezing my brain out all day, but unfortunately I completely fail to understand.

I don't see what you need a cube for, why you explicitly state to extrude in an orthographic view, why you use the lattice modifier on the extruded pattern and how the path deform modifier is used to get the pattern into shape. Furthermore I can't make any connection between the screenshots and your description apart from that you seem to use said path deform modifier. :(

A little help, please?

Maybe I should have stayed in bed today...
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if the diagram make little or no sense.

So what I was getting at is to find an awesome pattern you want to model. Know your pattern before you model. Its hard to wing it although there are a few exceptions.
    I created a cube (or a plane) because I am going to be extruding in an orthographic view. Usually I have my reference in a separate monitor or if iam lucky and have good picture I can throw it on an image plane and model my shape directly on top of it.

But really what Iam doing is just extruding my cube/plane to match the desired pattern in the orthographic view only.

One trick I use in maya is to turn off all the lighting(7 key) so I can focus on the silhouette of the shape.

Another trick is to model only what you actually need. On the dome, I only had to model 1/8th of the pattern. Then i tiled/latticed it around the shape of the dome.

Once my pattern is modeled Iam can then use a lattice. Using the lattice can become a pain in the ass. Or it can be easy. It all depends on the complexity of it.

With these steps in mind, perhaps looking back on that diagram might make more sense. gluck!
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    That looks awesome , has it been finished?