Home General Discussion

I need your wisdumb!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
so i've been doing ui the past year at a nice studio, working on an online game that's pretty much guaranteed to rake in some good money. i'm learning a lot, the atmosphere at work is nice, the ui work is growing on me...though it's still not exactly my cup of tea.

then last week, another offer came along to do concept art and illustrations for a studio that develops and pitches IP to movie studios. they're new and somewhat promising, and the offer is generous. although maybe the business model is high risk and not very sustainable. in a nutshell, they want me to do work like this:

http://radicalcomics.com/

so dreamy.

thing is, i've known the guy who runs the studio for a couple of years, and even though he comes off as a cool guy whenever we meet up, everyone i know who's worked for him at his last studio say he can be abusive and a bit of an ass. he is putting together a top notch art team though, flying in some famous artists from around asia (i.e. noah). i feel like working alongside these guys is a great opportunity to push my concepting skills even further and get to where i want to be.

my current job is great, and it's a safe long term bet. i could grow old here. i'm just not in love with it. i've been asking around for opportunities to move into concepting within the company, but chances are slim. so i think it's safe to say i'm choosing between passion and stability here. what would you guys do in this case?

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    age<30 go with passion, age>30 go with stability.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn, i've been stressing out about it and it seems like a no brainer to everyone else! hmmm
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    You need some passion and adventure in your life. Go do it!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    age<30 go with passion, age>30 go with stability.

What if you're 30?

I just recently met up with an old buddy who owns his own business, and he acknowledged how much of an ass he is to work for. He's cool to everyone, outside of the office, but his business supports his life, so he's very passionate about making sure things are done right.
    Anyway, keep that in mind when considering if you want to work for him. The people you've spoke with may be telling the truth.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd give it a crack. Someone with your immense talent shouldn't be wasting his skills making buttons. If it doesn't work out you shouldn't have too many problems finding something else methinks.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    From what I see on your portfolio its weird that your company wont let you in on concepting. you do have some really neat stuff. Well depends man, Ill say go with what floats your boat. If you wanna be a good concept artist then embark on adventure!. But if you feel that this might be risky aswell, there is some right in that too, we dont actually live in a peaches and cream period right now(the econimic mumbo-jambo crisis with its low hiring rates). So to be honest, I dont know dude, but those guys do have some cool stuff goin on on their website indeed...
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    have you tried applying for a concept position stateside at a more stable studio? There's nothing wrong with UI (it's certainly not the easiest job, if it were there wouldn't be so many games with terrible UI), but you obviously have the talent to be a concept artist and if that's where your passion is then it would seem silly not to go for it.

If this studio sounds like a fun place to work and improve your concepting skills, and the asshole boss isn't too scary, could you leave your current studio on good enough terms to return in a year or two if this didn't work out?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Snowfly wrote: »
    what would you guys do in this case?

In the current world economy, I'd definitely advice Stability

Fatten bank account, take advantage of current company's prestige and rep to increase your network. I recommend not bolting til you get a real level up i.e. seniority level and pay at another big name studio.

You can always freelance your passion(s) in many avenues and for different clients.

Good luck.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doing something you love is always win
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Work next to noah? Yes, that'd rock. I bet you'd pick up a ton. I see no reason not to take a bit of a risk.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Well think of it like this, even if fails it will be one hell of a ride.
    Never live your life thinking "What if" or "If only".
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I'm younger and have more dumb than wis but i'd definitely say go for it.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, if it were me, I would go with working with people you respect/doing the work you like.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'd give it a crack. Someone with your immense talent shouldn't be wasting his skills making buttons. If it doesn't work out you shouldn't have too many problems finding something else methinks.

Agreed. If this was anyone else I would say stability but dude, your skills are seriously being wasted on UI. Your shit never fails to inspire and hearing that you are stuck making UI with no real avenues within your current job to move up the ladder is depressing.

Let me add some considerations:

Married with kids - Stability
    Over 30 as said - Stability
    Chance at improvement without moving - Stability

Barring the above, fuck dude, what are you thinking about it for, go get you some orgazmic concepting job!
  • tokidokizenzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
    Stability is a lie. I'm over 30, married and have 2 kids. Stability should never weigh in on your passion. It never weighs in on mine and I've found more opportunities by that. I'm sorry but wife, kids, over 30 are all cop outs. To put it bluntly; Stability is for pussies ;)
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Stability is for pussies ;)

:)

Stability = pussy

fp-babe.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm 32 married, have a kid and in a pretty stable job, I'd still take a calculated risk but not blindly. I'd be thinking of back up plans and what-if the whole way.

Living with someone else might afford you more chances to take on some riskier jobs. If one loses their job you both might be able to float along on the others salary, savings and unemployment better than someone who lost their only source of income?

Personally, I chose stability and took a full time gig at pretty small but super stable company. I passed on working on bigger titles that where contract only. I just wasn't in the mood to be on another job hunt in 6mo and at that time things where looking only a fraction as dicey as they are now.

Honestly I'm thankful for the stability, its allowed me some great times and I've grown in ways I wouldn't have other wise. But I've thought what if, and I've been thinking of getting back out there if things start to improve.

No job is 100% secure, especially in this industry. Every job has some risk. Look at some of the bigger companies people flocked to them for stability and sacrificed creativity. Where are they now?

If you choose stability, its not like there won't be other opportunities or you can't work on things in your spare time. Who knows maybe you can manufacture an opportunity for yourself.

To sum it up:
    Calculated risk, be prepared with a back up plan, don't burn any bridges. Have fun!
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    magicsugar, that's the way i figured i'd play it, just milk the company for all it's worth while i'm here. but i don't think i'll be moving up anytime soon...we're a small art team, and my lead's got 7 years experience, 8 shipped titles, great leadership skills. all i'd have to look forward to is years and years of salary increases as a mid level artist.

i'm not 30, but close enough to straddling that line for stability to matter, at least for the gf's sake. life's bigger than making cool art. a couple jobs back, i was doing concepts for 2 indecisive art directors. so maybe that jaded me somewhat. but after a while it's like crack, can't get enough of making cool art.

it's gonna be a drastic lifestyle change too. current studio takes care of us and expects you to have a life, the one i'm considering expects you to make sacrifices. hmmm. thanks for weighing in guys, i'll sleep on it for a while then decide. wish i had most of your guts.

--

edit: actually one of my friends had a great suggestion. since the new studio isn't asking me to start until january, i should freelance for them on a project or 2 in the meantime to feel them out. better than the all or nothing p.o.v. i've been taking.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    if you can easily afford it, defintely go for it. But if not, find a way to pursue your passion anyway. One path does not exclude the other. Work on 2d stuff in your spare time.

I'm going to reccomend you stay with your current job just to counter balance the overwhelming voice of "DO IT!" that seems to be present in this thread.

Fuck it dude, you only live once, crashing and burning following your dream can be a lot more fun than succeeding making buttons.

Haha, i guess what i'm trying to say is our wisdom can't help you. Only you can decide what's best for yourself, but i tend to think that those with the drive to follow their passion find a way to do it one way or another. Don't let a job get in the way ;)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    sounds like a lot of fun man, but very risky - if you're going to be enjoying working a lot more there, and get to work on more exciting things go for it. there's the possibility of a huge payoff, plus even if it doesn't go through all the way you had a chance to meet with some top artists and get new experiences. It's a tough decision though, for sure. However, the way you put it made it sound like you'd be happier choosing to give it a shot.