Home Technical Talk

terrain polycount in cryengine 2

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
I just now realized im going to have problems when unearthly challenge starts because the terrain in cryengine uses up so much of the tricount budget. Is there any way to bypass this problem? Can i make a terrain mesh and export it into the engine or something and still use the handy paint tools? I guess i can model it and export it just like any other mesh but then i cant use the layer painter and stuff.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    like many other editors or partly related to their engines I think that the tools are optimized for those 2xtris strips that are always used for terrain engines.
    Many engines optimize them in the memory and storage because it can be assumed that except the depth (or height as you will) anything else repeats (loop) in a way.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but it doesnt help me if i want to sculpt my terrain for unearthly challenge with a fixed tricount :(
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    maybe try to reuse elements of your terrain, cut it into pieces so that the engine better can clip them on a bounding box level.
    Try to use Normal mapping instead of huge polycounts etc.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    renderhjs: I believe Martin is referring to the fact that terrain is a special thing in Crysis, I'm not sure if you can manually set a "level of detail" for the mesh it generates - therefore if he wanted to sculpt the terrain in Crysis editor, it would take up an inordinate amount of his polygon budget which could be spent more optimally if created manually.

Does Crysis allow custom mesh imports for terrain? Would there be any issues importing a giant custom model with collision?
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are asking me then that is exactly what i was hoping someone could tell me ;D I THINK i read the words terrain mesh import. But i cant find it now when i need it.

I guess you could always import a mesh and use it as terrain BUT i dont know if it would be possible to use the neat layer painter tools. But i guess those are just a whole bunch of different UV sets for the terrain so maybe.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    well yes I got the initial question,- my 2nd answer was most in the direction of using several prefabs (meshes if you will) and construct parts of the environment with it.
    If you cant see everything at once (FOV) I think the engine can handle a fair amount of polies as long as you split them into several bigger chunks so that it clips them efficiently.

But I don't think it has anything to do with terrain- just regular mesh import with collision support. Most of the buildings and fine detail stuff in Crysis is done that way. The level editor is just there to create a base for the nature terrain.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    Newmap_image007.png

doh there it is "import terrain block" off to find out how it works.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    You can disable the terrain in the environment tab (if I recall correctly) or via console cvars. After that, you can import a 3d mesh or use voxel tool (primitive organic modelling tool in Sandbox2) to create your terrain. The good thing about voxels is that you can use the same terrain layers as you use for "normal" terrain, except you get more control over the terrain that way.

However, terrain in CE2 is supposed to occlude everything behind it, so its tricount shouldn't be really that much of a problem.

Also, in case you would like to gain a little bit of tris you can setup occluders on your custom props in 3dsmax. I believe you will find a tutorial on how to do that in wiki on Crymod.

You can also change the terrain resolution by changing the unit-size settings during the map creation.

I would like to write a little bit more, but I don't have an access to the Sandbox atm.

I hope it's going to help you :)
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i know that the tricount on the terrain isnt really a big problem. I dont have performance issues or anything especially since i have a brand new rig (made a scene with 2 million visible tris and still had 50fps) Only problem is the tricount restriction that comes with Unearthly Challenge. Most likely i will just not use the terrain tools in sandbox.
  • [iWi]
    http://wiki.crymod.com/index.php/Creating_a_Basic_Level

I don't think so that You can import a terrain-mesh into Sandbox, but You can sculpt or generate Your terrain in other package and just import the heightmap.

TERRAIN / EDIT TERRAIN / FILE / IMPORT HEIGHTMAP.

sandbox.jpg

Nothing to do to optimize the poly's, I know, but can help.
    I think the best way is make a terrain under Sandbox anyway.:poly142:
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    [iWi] wrote: »
    I think the best way is make a terrain under Sandbox anyway.:poly142:

Not for unearthly challenge because that would leave me with 10k tris for everything else in my scene ;p
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    check out this splash damage tutorial for ETQW: link
  • [iWi]
    check out this splash damage tutorial for ETQW: link

any fan of ETQW here ? :poly142:
    Not for unearthly challenge because that would leave me with 10k tris for everything else in my scene ;p

Well , I think that You can find a solution at EARTHSCULPTOR -
    easy to use , export in .obj file. , export heigtmap .
    You can get the demo with some limites in a map size & terrain texture size ... no matter after export. :) :thumbup:

Just try it -

http://www.earthsculptor.com/
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [iWi] wrote: »
    any fan of ETQW here ? :poly142:

it's an example of generating some nice terrain as a mesh instead of a terrain system, this can be adapted to any engine I believe.
  • |Buddy|
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    You can delete parts of the terrain and the terrain's got distance lod, you really wont be having troubles with tricount in the end.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| wrote: »
    You can delete parts of the terrain and the terrain's got distance lod, you really wont be having troubles with tricount in the end.

Here is a screenshot to show my problem. cryengine1.jpg

I deleted most of the terrain and as you can see i turned down the density so its pretty lowres but it still shows it at 168k tris.. I think the problem might be with the water underneath? I dont know if its possible to remove it since it just sortof shows up in my level even when i dont ask for it.

[iWi] and Justin thanks for the tips but it doesnt really help me. Generating a hightmap in another program doesnt change the tricount inside cryengine and generating a terrain mesh in something like worldmachine means i cant use the terrain paint tools that cryengine has wich was my original problem ;p

Not a huge problem tho, ill just texture and build everything in maya.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh found the remove water button ;p

edit: Hmm nope it shows up again when i press generate surface texture

edit2: the skybox is like 20k tris and the oceans is ~100k :0 can remove the ocean but i guess it would be a bad idea to remove the skybox.
  • [iWi]
    Probably I didn't understand. Sorry , man.

Unearthly challenge ? .... You mean this one ?
    http://www.unearthlychallenge.com/2009/en_index.php