Home General Discussion

Flat-out head-on contender on PSP?

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
Tried several games now trying to find something as fun as this, have been playing it vs via WLAN on the train home - anyone found anything that comes close to the same level of fun factor as this?

51FvaWFpqRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Replies

• ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    me and my friends play this, batmobile with damage up high is so much fun especailly canal 1 track where you can get some insane jumps and watch the physics go crazy. The game is brilliant
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Wait.

So there are other games for the PSP besides Monster Hunter?
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been playing this non-stop since about February, initially we weren't impressed - probably because of the learning curve of the vehicles, but once you get used to how they handle the game is like crack.

The only thing that brings it down a little is the stunt modes wasting space that could've been used for more derby or race maps, or more cats. Basically you have a rocket powered car you accelerate to 200mph and then throw your driver through the windscreen to aim at different objects like a giant dartboard, flaming hoops etc.

Favourite combos for 2 player are Mobcar on Desert Scrapyard, Rocket/Flatmobile on canal and RoadKing on the Pinegrove map with the gigantic hill leading down to the tight left turn through the water mill thing.

We've tried several other racing game since, but have since sold those back to the store, as nothing yet has surpassed the awesomeness of Flatout - with other games the cars feel like bricks compared to this. :D

Wait this thread needs video and images to show the awesomeness (given that it's all done on a PSP )

031--article_blog_image.jpg

screenshot_187436--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

FO2000324--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

screenshot_187433--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

FO2000359--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg
    Video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o0R4vwuHdA[/ame]
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johnny have you played with the batmobile yet? the sparrowhawk is great fun, especailly drifting round corners. The chillipepper will always have a place in my heart though.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only the 60's style one renamed the 'flatmobile' for copyright purposes. Is there a 80's one (based off the Burton films) still to be unlocked too? :D

Wish this was moddable, I'd love to throw in some custom cars!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Xenobond wrote: »
    Wait.

So there are other games for the PSP besides Monster Hunter?

No, these are just pictures they look at on their psp. Nothing to worry about.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix wrote: »
    Only the 60's style one renamed the 'flatmobile' for copyright purposes. Is there a 80's one (based off the Burton films) still to be unlocked too? :D

Wish this was moddable, I'd love to throw in some custom cars!

flatmobile! thar be the one! It looks great without any fins on, very streamlined. Need to get back into it the events were very fun but so damned difficult (basketball and stuff like that)
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to know if they're making a sequel - just bought the new Need for Speed game, thought this could be the one, sadly no damage, you have a crashing animation, but the car is untouched when you get back to the race, and the cars handle like rollerskates. :(
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is just a straight up port of flat out 2?
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn , I was searching the forums for news on Bugbear maybe making another game and found this.

My work buddy who I play this on the train with daily has taken to emailing them on a weekly basis with messages of encouragement and suggestions for the new game.

Gotta say, a year and half down the line, MANY more racing games bought and returned to the store and it's still fun and playable.

00Zero - think so, it's very similar to the PC/PS2 game, but with fewer cars in a race (8 cars instead of 12) , and less shadergoodness, like the water in the canals etc.

Still looks great for a PSP game, and if anything, since it's been optimised so much, you don't notice so much of the glaring texture density stuff that was so noticable in the PC version.

/NecroPost.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I don't have a PSP but I played every other Flatout Game, finished Ultimate Carnage twice already. I got gold on all Carnage Mode events, that took sooo much effort (do you have that on PSP?).

I'm really wondering what Bugbear are up to, probably FlatOut 3.

And I totally hear you on car handling and interaction: FlatOut is the ONLY game that does this properly. And it's awesome how their nitro doesn't work on a car's wheels, but is like a rocket booster at the back of the car in terms of physics :p
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I don't have a PSP but I played every other Flatout Game, finished Ultimate Carnage twice already. I got gold on all Carnage Mode events, that took sooo much effort (do you have that on PSP?).

Yeah, PSP has carnage mode.

My train buddy racked up gold on all but the final beat the bomb with the flatmobile, as it seems only completable if you could turn off collision and drive in a straight line. :p

I don't find the stunt maps that much fun, throwing a rag-doll around haphazardly seems a waste of good disk space which could have been used for more courses, cars or music.

We've taken to seeing how high above the 'gold' score we can go on the racing/beat the bomb - my highest was 130k on Canal 1 with Venom (Gold score 50k) and 105k with the SchoolBus on City Central 2.

We've been trying to find what other peoples highscores is hard work, we could suck, or could be awesome, but we don't know. :D
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I'm really wondering what Bugbear are up to, probably FlatOut 3.

And I totally hear you on car handling and interaction: FlatOut is the ONLY game that does this properly. And it's awesome how their nitro doesn't work on a car's wheels, but is like a rocket booster at the back of the car in terms of physics :p

Really, REALLY, really hope they make another one, not sure how much life the PSP has in it , but no other game has come close.

Come on Bugbear, you can do it! :D