Home General Discussion

Mouse Recommendations

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Noia polycounter lvl 13
I didn't see any old threads concerning this, so I'm sorry if it's been heavily discussed before. A while ago, I bought a Microsoft Arc mouse. It seemed awesome at first. It looks cool, feels nice. it folds in half like some weird futuristic cellphone. However, it sucks for your wrist and will make you hurt after awhile. The scroll wheel also screws up all the time.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=112

I've been shopping around for some ergonomic mice, but they are often freakishly big or weird to handle. Considering how important it is for artists to stave off impending carpal tunnel, I'm curious what kind of mouse does everyone use?

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I use this at work. http://www.evoluent.com/vm3.html

Works awesomely fantastic.
  • Rwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I like my Logitec G9 and I've had it for 8 or so months. Feels better than the G5 that I use on my 2nd computer. And you can use 3 grips for it. No grip. A tactile grip that clips on, and a wider grip that is rubberized.

G9 is fairly light even with a full load of custom weights in it. And use more of your fingers than your wrist to navigate.

Con's is thats it's pricey, and the materials are crap. The rubber on the scroll wheel be came fairly loose after a few months, and I droped it once, breaking the locking mech that holds the custom wieghts in.

(although I fixed the scroll by removing the rubber scroll, cutting it down and super gluing it back on. Fixed the wieghts by taping the weight cart in.)
  • Seaseme
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    G9 for me - Still loving it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I have 2 of the Logitech MX Revolutions. Best mouse I have ever used. I had one at work and picked up another for at home.

I used to use the 510 and 518 from logitech but this one blows those away.
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    +1 for the Revolution. I got myself one 6 months ago - Really comfortable to hold and more buttons than you can hope for. The mousewheel freewheeling is ace, too.
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Im getting a mx revolution this weekend for home/private use. I feel i should change my old one out. I´ve had it for a few years. Best mouse i´ve ever had. A logitech aswell. The mx 510 :)

Do you guys have any issues with it being cordless? I´m mainly thinking battery! What if it runs out in the middle of a gaming session? :S
  • MALicivs
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    this is the one I use, and the one I'lL ever need.
    http://www.rentacomputer.com/images/LogitechMouse-blk.jpg

I hate cordless/over complicated stuff, and these simple mouses are comfortable, light and fast.
    I think what you probably should look for in a mouse above all is light - easy to click buttons.
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    It has lights built into the side so you know how low it's getting. It charges up pretty quick, too. Maybe an hour for an empty-full charge, and a full charge lasts a week.

For any downtime, I use my wacom mouse :)
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I don´t know about you but my gaming sessions surely don´t last a week :)
    Sounds like a cool deal then. I´ll try to get my hands on one this weekend.
  • Farfarer
    +1 for the MX Revolution. Had one for about a year now and it's ace. Was skeptical about wireless stuff before I picked it up, but it charges fast enough and will last a good while before running out... I've never had the battery drain on me yet.

Only issue I've found is that the middle mouse button is hard to press (so I just bound it to the thumb rocker).
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Talon wrote: »
    Only issue I've found is that the middle mouse button is hard to press (so I just bound it to the thumb rocker).

That is the single most important thing for me, I'm looking for a mouse with comfortable middle mouse button.

The G5's MMB feels pretty comfortable when you casually use it, but I use it so much in 3d max that my finger starts to hurt after a few hours :/

I bought the G9 too and it's MMB is MUCH worse than the G5's MMB. MX Revolution looks like it has the same kind of wheel as the G9 so I assume its MMB also sucks to press.

Actually I'm not sure its possible to make a big lumpy wheel feel comfortable after long hours of constant usage. I need a mouse with 3 proper buttons like the left/right buttons :p Or bind it to a thumb button like talon... but my thumb buttons are for back/forward or undo/redo in every app I use :(
  • Disco Stu
    But being able to activate a free spinning mouse wheel does come in handy with the g9 i find.
  • Farfarer
    Yozora wrote: »
    but my thumb buttons are for back/forward or undo/redo in every app I use :(
    Well, it's a rocker with a click. So you can rock it forward/back for your forward/back functions (although I've got those bound to prev/next track in WMP). Then I've got click bound to MMB.
  • EarthQuake
    logitech mx518, the best mouse ever created.
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    I'm even more stuck being left handed that 60% of the decent mice are all designed for rightys :(
  • Noia
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 13
    For you MX users, is there much of a difference between the Revolution mouse and its successor, the Performance MX mouse?
  • 120Degree_Flip
    i just have a HP Optical 3 button, works great for me in Maya... but i would like to get for my new Asus desktop one of these: http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat187300050022&type=category
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the Mx because you can set up custom button set ups through the logitech software.

So in firefox my forward and back buttons work as such but in 3ds max my back button also acts as my middle mouse button and it is comfy and I have noticed it has taking strain off my wrists over a period of time.

In the past modeling or working for extended hours my wrists would hurt a bit. Since getting the MX Revolution I have had no issues at all.

Like others said. The free wheeling or click to click rotation is awesome.

Charge life is quick and last a good amount of time. 10 days with normal use. I have been using mine for 2 weeks straight at around 12-16 hours a day. I've only charged it twice and while it was charging I was dabbling in zbrush so no harm there.

It also has an off switch so you can turn it off when away from your computer.

Great in gaming. I haven't noticed any difference in response. The wireless is nice. Helps keep the desk organized and easy to move things around.

Just by far hands down the best mouse I have ever owned.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the Mx because you can set up custom button set ups through the logitech software.

So in firefox my forward and back buttons work as such but in 3ds max my back button also acts as my middle mouse button and it is comfy and I have noticed it has taking strain off my wrists over a period of time.

In the past modeling or working for extended hours my wrists would hurt a bit. Since getting the MX Revolution I have had no issues at all.

Like others said. The free wheeling or click to click rotation is awesome.

Charge life is quick and last a good amount of time. 10 days with normal use. I have been using mine for 2 weeks straight at around 12-16 hours a day. I've only charged it twice and while it was charging I was dabbling in zbrush so no harm there.

It also has an off switch so you can turn it off when away from your computer.

Great in gaming. I haven't noticed any difference in response. The wireless is nice. Helps keep the desk organized and easy to move things around.

Just by far hands down the best mouse I have ever owned.
  • EarthQuake
    Just a little note here on why i think the mx518 is best, it comes down to comfort, and with this MX revolution thing there is a nasty hard edge here where i want to rest my finger. I'm not one of these tards that keep 3 fingers on top of the mouse at once, which it seems all newer mice are desinged for. My ring finger sits pretty much directly on that hard edge there, so it would be pretty uncomfortable for me to use. The mx518 has a little bit of an edge there, but its soft and not nearly as pronouced. It seems too many mice these days have that terrible hard edge there, i dont know why, because it sure as hell isnt for ergonomics.

Wrist pain is a pretty big deal for me an the mx518 is the most comfortable mouse i've ever used. Of course this may vary from person to person, and i'm sure the revolution is a pretty good mouse as well.

Also wireless mice are inherently shitty, recharing, lag, etc.

mxwin.jpg
  • HandSandwich
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    The g5's pretty legit. I've been using it for 3 years or so and still as good as ever.
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I'm not one of these tards that keep 3 fingers on top of the mouse at once, which it seems all newer mice are desinged for. My ring finger sits pretty much directly on that hard edge there, so it would be pretty uncomfortable for me to use. The mx518 has a little bit of an edge there, but its soft and not nearly as pronouced. It seems too many mice these days have that terrible hard edge there, i dont know why, because it sure as hell isnt for ergonomics.

Actually I think you're holding it wrong, at least not the way its designed for. The "hard edge" side is meant to be where you put both the pinky and ring finger and its not designed for anyone to have 3 fingers on top of the mouse.

The higher your ring/pinky fingers are on the mouse, the more your forearm will twist. And the best ergonomically designed mice try to encourage users to reduce that twist.

And I'll agree that I was never a fan of wireless mice, which is the only thing stopping me from buying one. Anyway it comes with a USB receiver thingy AND the dock needs to be plugged in, so it actually increases the number of cables :/ Convenient for using the mice from further distances I guess, but thats something I never needed or wanted.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i only have 2 fingers on top. Ring and pinky are below where that hard edge. That is actually how it is intended to prevent the twisting.

I've had both the 518 and this and I think both are great but the mx revolution is the best mouse for me and my past experiences.

I also had a Razer Copperhead and that shit destroyed my wrists.
  • TheWinterLord
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I have a G9 at home and its not as good as i hoped it would be, for modeling i definetly prefer a G5 model or even MX518 which is the same but cheaper price. yeh i dont like the G9 at all actually... For anyone buying a more expensive mouse make sure testing them out quite a bit first if you can. :P

There is not one mouse to fit all hands. So go try yourself and see what feels nice.
  • [Deleted User]
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    logitech mx518, the best mouse ever created.
    Yep :)

Still using my original one, losing count of the years
  • vik
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    yeah mx518 here too, we also use it at work, great mouse
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    you have one of those? I have a novelty mouse :(
  • vik
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    pinch one from someone`s desk just make sure it`s not mine
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    you just sealed your fate
  • neolith
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [...] Logitech MX Revolutions. Best mouse I have ever used.
    I have to second that.
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I've been using a Roccat Kone for the past couple of months and its really good for people with larger than average mits. Also lights up like a xmas tree when you plug it in.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I use this at work. http://www.evoluent.com/vm3.html

Works awesomely fantastic.
    Holy twisted arm!!!

twisted_silver.jpg

Lately I have been using the Wacom Intuos 4 mouse because I hate having to plop down the RatPad to use the MX Revolution.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Been planning on getting an MX Revolution for a few weeks. As well as a new keyboard. I find a lot now that my left wrist and fingers are getting sore long before my mouse wrist does. Should be an overall big upgrade to my input devices. I've just been using some really basic logitech keyboard/mouse combo since getting this computer, which was a long time ago. And within the last few days for some reason my mouse pointer has been offset in maya. The click is not registered in the right place.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i've got the old Logitech G15 for keyboards. The one with the flip up lcd screen and the macro buttons on the left.

It's nice i have macros set up for stuff in max. ex. I click on an edge and hit the G1 key and it selects the loop and removes it along with the verts.

It's actually quite handy.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I had a 510, then it broke after 5 or so years of constant use. I bought a G5 and loved it, then got another one. The first one got wrecked though, so I'll be getting my G500 (the new G5, now with more buttons) soon in the mail.
  • Brettzies
    I've been shopping around for some ergonomic mice, but they are often freakishly big or weird to handle. Considering how important it is for artists to stave off impending carpal tunnel, I'm curious what kind of mouse does everyone use?
    http://ergo.contourdesign.com/products/product-detail.aspx?id=36

I've used that mouse for the past five or so years(at home and work). I use to have some wrist pain before that, but can't remember the last time my wrist hurt. It's big, but you can get smaller sizes if you like. Mostly I got it for the "real" middle button, but the whole ergonomic thing just turned out to be a plus. Took a few days to get use to and my co-workers called it the geriatric/playskool mouse, but I really love it. Plus it comes in black now. Using the small/normal mice feels really dumb to me now, no matter how many buttons they have.

If you really want to avoid wrist problems, I think you have to go the tablet route.
  • Noia
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks everyone! I'll check these out. I found a couple sales on a few of them too. While we're on the subject, does anyone use the expensive 3D mice? http://www.3dconnexion.com/

I heard they're not worth the dough, but I've never used one.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh i got a space pilot the nice one they have a few years back. Honestly never used it. BUT it was free at the time so no biggy there. Would I buy one now? Not a chance.

However they were good enough to use in the recent GI JOE movie. So if you have any terrorist plots and need a controller this might be a good solution for that as well.

Clipboard02.jpg
  • Noia
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 13
    However they were good enough to use in the recent GI JOE movie. So if you have any terrorist plots and need a controller this might be a good solution for that as well.

But how do I set a function key for detonating the warheads? Maybe there's a forum somewhere...
  • .Murder
    Well im using the razer copperhead best mouse i've had so far, havnt had any pains in my wrist or hand as of yet, not unlike my old mouse which would make me wrist really hurt after a few hours!
  • Pseudo
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    how is the middle mouse click on the Logitech Revolution and MX?

I bought a wireless logitech mouse a few months ago and found that the middle mouse click was difficult to press, so I ended up returning it and going back to my $15 microsoft mouse.
  • elte
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    I also had a Razer Copperhead and that shit destroyed my wrists.

How come?!? Razer is the best mouse I ever invest in. I've used krait, razer pro click and habu, 3 of them are all awesome.
    Well im using the razer copperhead best mouse i've had so far, havnt had any pains in my wrist or hand as of yet, not unlike my old mouse which would make me wrist really hurt after a few hours!
    Gotta agree... Razer's MMB click is perfect for cg artist who use them a lot, esp 3dsmax users :P If you're not really into gaming and want something decent, Razer krait or other equivalent price is more than enough.

Be sure to check this http://www2.razerzone.com/MouseGuide/index.html
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    bg_microsoft09.gif

i use this one for years now... love it.

is there anything new in that style?
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I love my Razer Death Adder, it's made specially for right-handed people, the shape of it acts the same as good arch support for your feet. I used to have terrible wrist pain, since I got this, nothing at all. It has two thumb buttons and the scroll wheel is nice and grippy and the click is really responsive. The material it's made out of is also really comfortable. Plus the blue light-up snakes are sexy.
    razer-deathadder.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Em. wrote: »
    I love my Razer Death Adder, it's made specially for right-handed people

Must be tough being right handed :P
    *shakes left fist at you*
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I use the Cyber Snipa Stinger (shameless plug of my own review :P). Considering the amount of mouses I have used and or reviewed the fact I still use this one says a lot. My only real gripe with it is that it has a tilting scroll wheel, essentially giving the middle button 3 seperate functions, that can get annoying in max when trying to rotate the viewport. I just reconfigured left and right tilt to the same function as the middle button and I love it. It has weights so you can make it light - heavy and everything inbetween. On the fly DPI changes make it great in photoshop for changing between tight detail and sweeping strokes. Its also great for games. I have used the logitec mouses mentioned here too and can't really say that they offer and added value for the price difference asside from it being corded and not needing batteries :P

I also use my PC a lot and never suffer from any discomfort using it.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I got my Logitech G500 in the mail last week and it is DA BAWS. The combination free scroll and clicky scrolling is priceless. The drivers for it are great as well. The mouse can now have up to 5 switchable DPI settings, and you can now adjust vertical and horizontal DPI settings for games. The additional thumb rest space is pretty comfy too.

Logitech-Gaming-Mouse-G500.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I'm in agreeance with Jesse. Revolution is the best mouse I've ever used.

Pantera even wrote a song about it:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uk7i1ornuQ[/ame]
  • 00Zero