Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Meangoon (Concept by J.P. Targete)

nfrrtycmplx
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
I've always like this character and thought it would be as good as any to start practicing sculpting on.

Comments and Crits needed/appreciated. Thanks guys.

Meangoon_WIP_02.jpg

Replies

• P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    start practice? It doesn't look like you need any more practice.
  • obeyurnapster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obeyurnapster polycounter lvl 9
    Great scult man love it ! could you tell me what matcap your using??? , it looks great
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Looks great so far, are you gonna sculpt the whole thing or just stick with a bust?

Only minor crit I noticed was that the concept appears to have curled ram horns, which in your interpretation have been changed to what look like koala ears?
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    wow this turned out awesome!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    p442 - Yeah, start :)... you should see my previous post... it was terrible. Putting in the hours is making a huge difference. But thank you! I'm still not even close to where I want to be...

obeyurnapster - Got the matcap from here.
    http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/library/ - I'm glad you like the sculpt.

JohnnySix - Thank you. I plan to sculpt the whole thing. I feel very motivated to get better at this stuff so i think i may finish a project. It's very rewarding. As far as the horns go. It could be from re-sizing the image... but the horns you're seeing are actually part of a helmet, with holes in the side and pony-tails sticking out of them... looks wierd, but i figured I'd try it. I'll look more closely, but I don't see horns :). I think horns would be a weak design decision. and from what i can tell Targete is a bit more clever than that. More to the point, it looks like this character makes its clothes/accessories from things it finds and salvages. At least that's the direction i'm going to go with it.

Orgoth - A bit better than the pig thing? lol
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My good friend/co-worker pointed out a lot of anatomy problems with him... even though he is a creature kind of... some very good stuff he pointed out with the planes of the face not really doing what they're supposed to... and the eyes being all jacked up. I'll work on this stuff and post a before/after so you can see what i'm talking/working on.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meangoon_WIP_03.jpg

I feel it's lost some character. Which I will work on getting back into the thing after i get the form right.. Left is Before, and Right is After.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    The quality of sculpt is very nice. I don't think it lost character, i think you just drastically changed it.

the concept image is kinda small. But, from what I can see, youve put the mouth to low, it looks as though the concept has a much more prominent chin, and a squatty face. You've also reversed the direction of the brow, tilting it up, instead of down.

it'd be cool if you posted bigger images, if not just for the sake of showing the skin work.

keep it up
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meangoon_WIP_04.jpg

Face work... after getting more feedback and looking at more reference... this is what i got.

whipSwitch - Yeah... the mouth on this thing is hard to read. And the concept is very very small here... but check this out, and tell me what you think.

http://www.conceptart.org/artimg/image.php?img=targete/full/meangoon.jpg

The brow is inverted. I'll see about changing that up and see how that works... I have definitely repositioned his mouth though, but i think it's actually higher. From what i could see the mouth looks like it's under his chin... which looks weird to me. But scope out the concept link and tell me what you think.

This is definately not going to be a literal translation of the concept... But that's not an excuse for poor execution of a concept, so if you got things you think i should fix, lemme know.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers