Home Digital Sketchbooks

sketchbook- Dolemite

Figured I should start a sketchbook to get some crits on my 2D stuff.

space-marine-girl.jpg

Replies

• JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Wow! Nice shading! Proportions seem a little out - the size of the head to the body, but that could just be the large helmet.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    her right hand looks a little weird and scrunched, did you use a ref for this picture?
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foxybrownmarines.jpg

So I had this idea for a foxy brown space marine.

thanks @ achillesian and JohnnySix! Yeh, my proportions suck :( Realized the head was too big as soon as you mentioned it. I think it is the helmet, and there's not really any reason for her helmet to be so big.

thanks again!
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    angelgrunt.jpg

So the idea is that God has stopped smiting people and performing miricles because we've gotten too powerful and now he's afraid of us. In a last ditch effort to stop us he's launching a full assault on earth. His gun is shaped like a bow, because angels like shit like that.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemarinearmor01.jpg

So I worked on this a little this week Not happy enough with it to work on it more. Going to start on something else tomorrow. I kind of want to work on something more personal next time. Maybe something with a closeup and an extreme emotion.

emo-12799.jpg

... emotion... like that guy...

europaconcept.jpg

some concept art for multivaders2. Had fun not painting people.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacepi02w.jpg
    Private dick for hire.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Your colors looks good though but each of your character proportion looks wierd. Some has longer or shorter legs,arm,head etc. Study more on human anatomy if you havent done it.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    americansavage.jpg

The story here is that American and Japanese Navy ships sink each other and the survivors are marooned on an island. They carry the war on with sticks and spears.

I'm trying to keep my painting loose. Previously I worked in a series of steps, and laid down my lines early. This time I started globby, and just kept globbing the values in, often applying highlights while applying shadows. I stopped as soon as the globs got smell enough for my tastes.
    At no point did I make an entire linework of the painting.

@vofff

Thanks for the feedback. I have studied anatomy, but not enough probably. It's one of those things I'm struggling to get better at.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    signburgermadness.jpg

Going for more realism.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyberninja75.jpg

Was trying to design a cold war era CIA cyber ninja. Maybe a little too much Darth Vader face.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i think you really should spend time doing scribble rough drawings to work out the proportions befor you jump into final painting,, maybe post some in progress of your rough sketches so ppl can help you spot the anatomy issues, your painting is looking pretty good, but man your anatomy is killing it.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeh you're probably right. I guess I haven't spent enough time on anatomy. Not really sure what to do. Should I just draw naked people and ask for crits on the anatomy? Should I just post a few rough sketches a week and go from that?

Please crit anything specific you see. These are up here for that reason. I hope I'm not sounding like the pouty noob.
  • etb342
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most definitely. Your stuff is suffering from a lack of proportion as well as anatomical problems. Reference imagery should be your friend or, in absence of it, grab a mirror and try to pose yourself for more visual information.

I would make it a priority to get some studio time with live models. That'll help immensely. Maybe pick up an anatomy book, too, to do some studies and read up on a human's size and proportional relationships.
  • geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Rhinokey and etb342. Many of your drawings seem a bit stiff, but with some reference usage and possibly going to some life drawing workshops (if they're available to you) it will help you immensely. It never hurts to go back to basic sometimes =]