Home Technical Talk

Maya 2010

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Frump polycounter lvl 12
So Maya 2010 was released in August, is anyone using it?

I've been trying for the life of me to find out what new features, tweaks or improvements have been made to the modeling aspect of the software. I've come up with no actual data on this. I see lots of buzzwords and obfuscation on the Autodesk site (disappointing because in the past they had feature videos which would give you a good idea of what was new) and lots of talk about the VFX and animation improvements everywhere else.

So has Autodesk just ignored the modeling portion of Maya in this release, despite the fact that there could be mass improvements? Is this really all we will get for another year?

I've been slowly transitioning to Max lately and if they are truly ignoring the modeling tools, I really feel like jumping ship on Maya. Though it may be a bit of a kneejerk reaction.

What are your thoughts or experiences with the new Maya?

Edit: Whoops meant to post this in GD, but it works fine too here. Maybe even better.

Replies

• greuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greuh polycounter lvl 15
    there was a .pdf floating around on the area sometime about detailing the 'new' features for 2010.

but truly there was really nothing except the integration of Toxic and that camera match moving thing which name I forget.

Maya 2010 was actually dubbed 'repackaged 2009'. Most of the videos on the autodesk site actually are from features implemented in 2008 & 2009.

There was strictly nothing on the general game development front. That was such a shameful release that some high ups from autodesk felt necessary to post some sort of answers to try to appease the mob@cgtalk forums ;)

I have no clue about what are the plan of autodesk for maya, people in the beta said the beta actually was featuring the new Qt UI but it was pulled right before release since it was so buggy.

My guess is as good as yours, but looks like 2010 will be an uneventful release :(
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    they have a compositor built in... helps me none.. and now there is only one version.. so you have access to all the fur cloth and muscle stuff without having to buy a more expensive version.. really if you have maya unlimited 2009, and don't need to composite, then you don't need to upgrade.. or if you don't need fur or hair or fancy film crap, then you are not missing out on much..
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    The rumor is that the real, large features planned for Maya 2010 may be released sometime early next year... something about how they couldn't finish them in time for release, and they HAVE to release something every year for subscription customers, thus the Toxik and Matchmover bundle. And by "rumor", I mean, I'm pretty sure someone from Autodesk said as much on CGTalk, but in a much more veiled fashion.

It's unfortunate that for legal reasons (Sarbanes-Oxley), Autodesk can't reveal even a 6-month roadmap. It would really be useful.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    They should fix the problems Autodesk's meddling has brought on. I'd go back to version 3 or 4 if I could get it with Mental Ray rendering/baking, and 64 bit support. Those are the only thing useful Autodesk has added. It sure as hell used to be a lot stabler. Now it crashes a few times a day (at least for me)

I'd be happy if they just spent a whole year stablising it. I don't need new features, most end up useful in any case.
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    i agree. In my opinion maya crashes have risen in this and the 2009 version. and no autosave is a joke.(yeah, i know there are scripts...)
    Still 2009 had some useful modeling and animation features to improve workflow.
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Bruin polycounter lvl 10
    I've been using 2010 for the last week at school, and from what I can tell, there is almost nothing new in the modeling aspect of Maya at all. I haven't found one new thing, just menus that have been rearranged. If you've got 9 you have absolutely no reason to upgrade, and considering that new releases are always a bit more unstable than the last days of the last package (Ie, XP vs Vista), I can see no justification to spending money on a repackaged product. Give your money to some African organization or something if you have that much to just blow on something, because it would go to much better use.

That said, anyone know of a script or fix to open a scene that was built in 2010 in 2009? I'm using .ma files, and my 2009 at home refuses to open the 2010 files from school. Both are 32 bit (Until the school gets 64 bit 2010's). I think it is the same problem 2008 had opening 2009 files, but I don't know how to fix that. Thanks.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParadoxTLH wrote: »
    That said, anyone know of a script or fix to open a scene that was built in 2010 in 2009? I'm using .ma files, and my 2009 at home refuses to open the 2010 files from school. Both are 32 bit (Until the school gets 64 bit 2010's). I think it is the same problem 2008 had opening 2009 files, but I don't know how to fix that. Thanks.

click on expanded option box for file-> open
    it will have "ignore version" checkbox:
    5kewl5.jpg

sometimes scenes won't load properly (if they contain any version-specific code, probably)

there's also a turnaround with editing .ma files in wordpad, but that's a little bit maya 7
    Frump wrote: »
    I've been trying for the life of me to find out what new features, tweaks or improvements have been made to the modeling aspect of the software. I've come up with no actual data on this. I see lots of buzzwords and obfuscation on the Autodesk site
    They have a few minor tweaks in 2010, a little bit improved subdivision modelling tools (crease vertex tool, for example); bevelling polygons doesn't break uv's anymore; reduce polygons tool keeps your mesh in quads - feels like all the improvements came from recently bought xsi team.
    I haven't heard about any freshly added bugs, but overall it feels like a really minor update.
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark polycounter lvl 16
    ParadoxTLH > Just edit the header info in the .ma

Change "2010" to "2009" in the "requires maya" line and voila ( and delete all the "fileInfo" lines )
    I though maya 2009 had a thing to ignore that boring thing.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Well, let's hope they do another incremental release this year and come out with Maya 10 or something. With a lot of improvements to tools and workflow. Until then, going to continue with 2k9 and playing with ZB 3.5.

I haven't noticed Maya being more unstable in newer versions, if anything, the opposite. I used to crash tons and tons in 8.5 and 2008. Now if I crash it's because I know I did seomthing stupid and risky. I never get random crashes. Maybe the crashes I used to get weren't random either, I was still learning back when using those. :p
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Frump>

I didn't find any new game production oriented features at all either, modelling being one of those areas.

For me it makes sense for Autodesk to not have two rival programs in their lineup. Could it not be that they want to leave those areas for 3DSMAX to handle while they let Maya handle more film/simulation/custom solutions?
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    Well, let's hope they do another incremental release this year and come out with Maya 10 or something. With a lot of improvements to tools and workflow. Until then, going to continue with 2k9 and playing with ZB 3.5.

I haven't noticed Maya being more unstable in newer versions, if anything, the opposite. I used to crash tons and tons in 8.5 and 2008. Now if I crash it's because I know I did seomthing stupid and risky. I never get random crashes. Maybe the crashes I used to get weren't random either, I was still learning back when using those. :p

maya 8.5 and 2008 crashes were terrific, it's not just you assuming you were doing someting wrong.
    especially with 32-bit version of 2008, 64-bit wasn't that bad.

I wish I was that optimistic about maya's future releases - right now autodesk is milking the customers out, but I hope there's a certain ceiling for user's expectations.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I've found maya's edge selection to be fucking horrible, always selecting random edges on the back side of the model? Maya7 was the last good version of maya for selection is this fixed in maya2010?
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    They should have implemented proper raycasting selection instead of that useless pre-selection highlighting.

Love modeling in Maya, then find the backside of my model is all fucked because of the shitty selection tools.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't really call that a fix just a bandaid to a bug they introduced in maya 8. Camera based selection is a nice feature but it's more of a work around I'd rather have the click selection work so I could select components accurately again.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Now try this bug:

Wireframe on shaded : on

Camera selection : on

select object, right click and change to either vertex or edge, and try to select.

I have tried on ati and nvidia card, and it's the same, I cant get a proper selection.

Reported, but no response.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte I had that problem also in 2009, it worked fine with paint selection but I tried it with marque select and it gave me a fucked up results. I closed and reopened maya and it seemed to work fine. I imagine it will mess up again in the future. I almost feel like it has something to do with using the context sensitive menus instead of double clicking the move tool old school style.