Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Jim Barnett, Environment Arist

Hey guys, I got the first build of my site working. The first two pictures are not in yet, still playing with final lighting in the scene. They will be in shortly tho, (GDC workathon). I was thinking about losing the page w/ the gourds and bowls. Any thoughts / comments would be nice. Thanks guys.

JimmyB 3D

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't want to be harsh but the main page looks ugly and most of the stuff doesn't look as good as it does when its opened up large.

And the white to black gradient should be changed to 33% black to 66% black
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    i must admit having a low rez grunge texture as your bg wasnt a good desicion.

You have the technical skills required, but its the art skills that are lacking, most of the work is very brown, has too much grunge, it also has noise in the normal maps which is just not a good thing to do. For example, on the last image, the statue, im not sure why you multiplied a tiling grunge texture over the top. Dont do stuff because you think its what you have to do, do it because it looks good.

Go and spend a bit of time on colour theory, and general art and drawing work. It sounds extreem but it will cause your work to really improve.

Keep at it man and dont be disheartened.
  • breakneck
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    hey jimmy,
    i'm guess most of the images are rendered in maya? If so, I would look into a realtime rendering solution because it looks like the render is doing you more bad than good.

also that low res grunge in the background is nasty. the thumbs are really low res looking as well.
  • P442
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    FIRST, let me preface this comment by saying I am in no way trying to be a dick.
    do you really want to show off candles and buckets? Dropping those images would be a good idea, I think. I would take your cooler assets and spend a little more time spicing them up, (2-3 hours) like the boar head and knife and tree. Maybe put the boar head on a silver platter, for example, and perhaps separate them onto their own sheets. Also, the texture on some of your models seems stretched or scale is too large, etc.. You may need to go back and fix the UV's/rework texture. I also think you could enhance the normal maps on your models to add some detail. I mean, to be honest, nothing really strikes me as too terribly impressive. I have the feeling you know exactly where these models could be improved and you just haven't had the time or the gumption to go improve them. I mean, if i'm not impressed I don't think industry professionals will be either, and that's the point of all this right.
  • jaball
    Hey jim,

Well im not gonna get into the aspects of your models cause I think everyone has said everything I could have. However your resume is lacking. I only opened the PDF so if there is a huge difference I apologize. But your resume is very crammed together and filled with alot of padding.

I look at alot of resumes, not in the game industry, just in general. But it could use a good bit of housekeeping.

First of all - You have experience but not two pages of experience. Shorten it up and make it one page. Narrow down to what is really important. Hard skills (software knowlege, art). Then your softskills (people skills, time management). List you previous work that is industry related.

The top paragraph should be your objective that is specific to the position your applying for. "summary of qualifications" is redundant since that is what a resume is.

Dont need a personality profile, that is what should be in a cover letter that you send with your resume. Not what you have already but a perspective employer should be able to pull your personality from your cover letter.

Dump the organizations, it shows your active in the community but it dont take much to sign up on a forum. wasted space.

Last thing, may want to get rid of your employment history. Dont think they will care if you worked in a photo lab, at least I dont think that is what would make or break getting an interview.

I think some better design choices would really do you wonders. Employers love that, shows you know how something should look.

Again you can take this info or leave it. I am not in the industry so do with it as you will. You have a solid start, the best in the biz know how to finish.